Gulf side of Florida recommendations

luvmygdaughters

Hubby and I are thinking of going to FL in September. We'd like to go somewhere on the Gulf side, any recommendations on places to go, hotels, restaurants, places to see, bars? Our partying days are long behind us, but, a couple of clicky bars to get a drink at, would be nice.

GregV814

Tampa, a metropolis of history is a neat old city buildings and a waterway. But a must see, after 10:00 pm, for a cultural eye opener is Ybore City, Cuban lifestyle comes alive and women are hotter than the sidewalk! Come earlier, leave soon after , live longer in Ybore City. Actually to see the hub of Cuban cigar rolling in the daytime is very cool.

Hit Tarpon Springs, also known as Sponge Pier where old European fishermen harvest sponge! See them unload massive amounts daily like they've been doing for a hundred years. Oh, and the seafood places are EXCELLENT!!!

See this fine family enjoying a meal??? Ummmmmm-ummmm .

IMG_2112[3429].jpg

If you like driving 198 miles on a long trip to Pensacola, be sure to hit I-10 westbound off I-75 for hours of hypnotic highway glaze. Then Vrai will have a platter of Country fried Pineapple chicken a-la froghead salad waiting for you!!

SamSpade

an old acquaintance and her husband owned and operated the "Hibiscus House" in Ft. Myers. A storm dropped a tree on their property, then CoVid finished them off.... Sad.
I hadn't even KNOWN my brother had moved to Ft Myers - I thought he was still in Naples - and when I said the storm had missed him, he said uh no, we're seeing it now. On the other hand, he said he lived considerably inland near the airport, so his damage was the fence got knocked down.

luvmygdaughters

This! :yahoo:

But really it depends on what you want. City or low key, laze on the beach or be a busy tourist, dressy or casual. It's a loooooong shoreline with a ton of cool places to visit.
We are definitely low key, lay on the beach or by the pool, see some sights, have a beer at a kitschy bar, eat some great food, without having to dress up, people. We were looking around Naples, not sure where you are. We havent decided on an area yet, just getting some ideas.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Hubby and I are thinking of going to FL in September. We'd like to go somewhere on the Gulf side, any recommendations on places to go, hotels, restaurants, places to see, bars? Our partying days are long behind us, but, a couple of clicky bars to get a drink at, would be nice.
Destin, Fort Walton, Panama City Beach all great places. There used to be a place outside of Destin called Baytown. There were a couple of good restaurants there.

Bear in mind it’s been 18 years since I was there.

TPD

the poor dad
Venice - between Ft Meyers & Tampa. Low key. Nice beach. More a local vibe than a tourist vibe based on a brief visit I had there a couple years ago.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
This! :yahoo:

But really it depends on what you want. City or low key, laze on the beach or be a busy tourist, dressy or casual. It's a loooooong shoreline with a ton of cool places to visit.
My son used to live in Panama City when he was in the Air Force, he hated the place. Every time we went though there seemed to be a lot to do, even if it was just going down the road to watch the stingrays come in. The only bad part from three trips there was walking outside and coming face to face with a bear going through the garbage.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We are definitely low key, lay on the beach or by the pool, see some sights, have a beer at a kitschy bar, eat some great food, without having to dress up, people. We were looking around Naples, not sure where you are. We havent decided on an area yet, just getting some ideas.

There are a zillion places you could go Gulf side but here are some highlights:

Look at St. Pete Beach. A bonus is you'd be just a short drive to Tampa, and Ybor City is definitely worth a day trip. It's a good area with lots to do.

If you're not staying at a beachfront resort/hotel, make sure you check for public beach access. Here in PCB it's all public, but our snooty sister beaches to the west are for resort guests only.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My son used to live in Panama City when he was in the Air Force, he hated the place.

I remember you saying that. Panama City is pretty much just a city, but Panama City Beach is definitely geared toward tourists. If you don't like that sort of thing and aren't interested in the beach, PCB isn't going to wow you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
not sure where you are.

I'm in Panama City Beach and you'd love it here, too. Tons of stuff to do, and September is the best time of year to be here because all the summer people have gone back home, the weather is amazing, the Gulf is still warm, and everything is open. Mid-August is when we locals start venturing back out to enjoy our city and beaches.