Gun Ban

Larry Gude

Strung Out
UNLESS...

It won't be tomorrow and it won't be next year but it will come.

...the people who support the statist totalitarian realities of gutting the Constitution realize that it is an evil monster that will get them as well.

In the mean time, we support allowing the ban to die, voting for Bob Ehrlich and keep on working to stay free within our representative constitutional gummint.

B

Bruce

Most excellent post T. Rally. The cig ban in public I can see some reason for since it has been "proven" that second hand smoke is harmful. The cameras are a joke, if the manufacturers didn't get money back from the installs, and push them because of that, we wouldn't have them. As far as the people who say "well, if you obay the lay you sholdn't mind them", they are missing the whole point.

B

Bruzilla

Nice post Larry, but you sorta mispoke in regards to items being forbidden. First, you need to add an external box magazine to your list. Second, the law allows you to have any two of the banned items on a weapon and still have it legal. Like my AR-15A2 has an external box magazine and a pistol grip. If I were to add a folding stock it would be illegal.

I hate to break it to you guys, but assault weapons have never been designed to kill. They were designed to maim and mangle an enemy, not to kill him. True assault weapons like the MP-44, M-16, AK-74, etc., are designed around firing a small, lightweight, cartridge, which allows the soldier to carry more ammo. These rounds also tend to produce less fatalities, which may seem like an oxymoron in combat, but it follows the "kill one, take one off the battlefield/wound one, take two or three off the battlefield" concept. Hunting rifles and Main Battle Rifles (MBRs) are designed to kill.

The biggest problem with gun bans is that they are never written by people who know guns. That's why the ban on manufacturing/importing high-capacity magazines was worthless as well. There are millions of legal magazines; the ban limited mags to 10-rounds... no big deal for us .40 shooters who had a pre-ban max capacity of 11 rounds; and worst of all... they took away the only reason that high-end gun makers had avoided making compact pistols, that being you can't stick 15 shots into a pocket pistol. Once you took high-capacity mags out of the picture, small pocket guns, firing 9mm, .40. .45, etc., became all the rage even if they only held 5-8 shots. So instead of dealing with a bunch of crappy, misfiring, .22/.25/.32 pocket pistols from South America, people now have to face large bore reliable pocket pistols from Glock, Colt, and Beretta.

And Smalltown, there's never been a single thing wrong with Glocks. I think the issue you refer to deals with the safety. If someone does not engage the frame safety, the only thing preventing the gun from being fired is a mechanical safety lever built into the trigger, which is only activated once someone places their finger on the trigger. People who were used to traditional safeties would place their finger on the trigger and apply some slight pressure like they normally would and the gun would go off. The only other issue that I know IRT Glocks (and polymer pistols like the S&W Sigma series) is that they are hard to clean. To do it right you need to soak them in a chemical bath.

Lastly, before I had three kids that bled my wallet dry, I had several assault weapons, including a legal M-16, and I used to go recreational shooting all the time. The nice thing about .223, .308, and 7.62 x 39 ammo (the most common rounds for "assault" weapons) is that it's abundant and it's cheap. You can't do much plinking with 30.06 or .30-.30 ammo unless you're Bill Gates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Bruzilla
The only other issue that I know IRT Glocks (and polymer pistols like the S&W Sigma series) is that they are hard to clean. To do it right you need to soak them in a chemical bath.
Glocks aren't hard to clean at all. That's just your opinion. :wink:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
The slide rail problem cause a lot of people to freak out even when theirs wasn't broken. Only certain serial #'s were affected and not all of them were problematic.

Dean Speir is a known Glock-hater in Glockworld. Name a gun manufacturer yet who hasn't had a certain problem with one of their guns. Maybe I'm just lucky that mine all function well. :biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!
yea, the friend of mine who loves his guns had a couple of Glocks, but decided to go with something else because of the issues. Not sure what he has now.

B

Bruzilla

Sharon, I've never owned a Glock, nor have I ever cleaned one. My statement was based on statements made on the American Shooter program on the Outdoor Living Network. That program stated that polymer pistols are harder to clean than steel/alloy guns, and that immersion in a chemical bath is the easiest way to clean them.

I'm a Beretta 96 man myself. :biggrin: Buy Maryland!

demsformd

To compare banning assault rifles to cars and the such is completely outlandish. Cars are not used for the explicit purpose of killing someone. Assault rifles are made to kill (or wound if you look at it Bru's way). Without this ban far too many people would have access to weapons that have the potential to mass destruction in the gun sense. Police officers support the renewal as does the President. Only radicals like DeLay say that the assault rifle ban is pointless.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by demsformd
Cars are not used for the explicit purpose of killing someone.
Neither are guns - I've known hundreds of people who own guns and not one of them ever killed anyone.

Dems, do you really think gun violence will go away if we just ban guns? Really? Do you not read the statistics or do you just not believe them?

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Do you not read the statistics or do you just not believe them?

You did not just go there. Miss "I don't believe the TONS of medical reports that smoking is bad for you" :biggrin:

B

Bruce

Police officers support the renewal as does the President. Only radicals like DeLay say that the assault rifle ban is pointless.

Bull S---, thats a blatent misrepresentation of the truth. you are implying that ALL police officers support the ban which simply isn't accurate. I am associated with MANY police officers and I wouldn't begin to speak for ALL of them. The FOP or other organization may support the ban, but thats altogether a different thing.

And again, I'll revert to my earlier request to have some one give me a factual instance where banning particular weapons prevented violent crime. Modern England ? Washington DC ??? NOT !!!!

I'm am so sick of the deliberate misrepresentation over this issue that I could :barf:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
You did not just go there. Miss "I don't believe the TONS of medical reports that smoking is bad for you"
Yeah, I did. You know why? Because I've seen the trials where it was determined that neither smoking NOR second-hand smoke causes cancer or heart disease or anything else. I've also seen the news stories where some 100 year old person dies after smoking since birth and they put down cause of death as "smoking related" to get another statistic.

The Harvard Med website has a ton of information on this - you gotta dig around but it's there.

SurfaceTension

Assault rifles are made to kill
That would be analagous to saying "Cars are made to race".

Assault rifles are made to target shoot
Assault rifles are made for homeland defense
Assault rifles are made for protecting crop fields from varments
Assault rifles are made for personal defense
Assault rifles are made to collect and trade with your friends

Their uses are many and varied....You can attribute evil intent to anything:

Hunting rifles are made to kill
Knives are made to kill
Poison is made to kill
Rope is made to kill
Motorcycles are made to kill
Postal employees are made to kill...

Assault rifles have several functional nuances that tend to make them look "evil" (to your eye) but are not "made" to do anything, nor are they different in a substantial way from other firearms.

demsformd

I don't want anyone to walk around with an uzie. I won't budge from that position.

Any thoughts on President Bush's support for the renewal?

SurfaceTension

I don't want anyone to walk around with an uzie. I won't budge from that position.
No worries. Maryland's Draconian gun laws supercede the Feds and will keep you safe.

SmallTown

Football season!
"We agree with the overwhelming medical and scientific consensus that cigarette smoking causes lung cancer, heart disease, emphysema and other serious diseases in smokers. Smokers are far more likely to develop serious diseases, like lung cancer, than non-smokers. There is no "safe" cigarette. " - Philip Morris