Gun sales in deep blue Massachusetts hit record levels

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Gun sales in deep blue Massachusetts hit record levels beginning in 2020, sparked by fear: Report

The majority of gun sales in Massachusetts were for handguns

Gun sales in Massachusetts - a state with historically low firearm ownership - have skyrocketed since 2020, due in-part to people wanting to arm themselves out of fear, according to a new report.

Many customers "haven’t fully grasped the idea of wanting to own a firearm for defensive purposes, but something brought them here," Cape Gun Works co-owner Toby Leary told local outlet WBUR. "They feel like they’ve been spurred to do it based on what they see, or their own personal feelings about the world."

Leary said many of his customers during the pandemic and following months told him that they did not like guns, but that fear pushed them to make the purchase, WBUR reported.

OccamsRazor

Historical tid-bit....

If you were traveling through Mass with a firearm of any kind and stored (in your vehicle) in any way.. even properly with ammunition separate... and you did not call the state police ahead of time to let them know you would be traveling through the state with a firearm, they would arrest you even if you had a license for said firearm.
This was back a few years ago so it may be different now.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Historical tid-bit....

If you were traveling through Mass with a firearm of any kind and stored (in your vehicle) in any way.. even properly with ammunition separate... and you did not call the state police ahead of time to let them know you would be traveling through the state with a firearm, they would arrest you even if you had a license for said firearm.
They used to have a great big sign on I-95 letting you know exactly how anti-2ndA they were.

Hijinx

These people buying these weapons are not mass murderers, they are frightened civilians--citizens .
And they are using their 2nd. Amendment rights.

Unfortunately every gun they buy now is registered and their home will be the first visited when guns are banned. I am not in any way telling people to break the law, but if you want to remain a gun owner and become an outlaw when the un Constitutional ban comes you better have some that are not registered, or be ready to fight for the ones you have.
Do not be stupid and believe for one minute that the 2nd. Amendment will never be taken away. It may be several years and it might happen in several increments but it will happen. Any law that keeps returning year after year will eventually find enough dick heads to pass it.

black dog

Free America
Historical tid-bit....

Whats a firearm license?
Mass is like MD, they both have zero reciprocity with other States.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
What's a firearm license?
Mass is like MD, they both have zero reciprocity with other States.
Under the Bartley-Fox gun law, one has to have a Firearm Owner's ID card to be able to purchase rifles and shotguns. When I got mine in March 1975 when I turned 18, it cost $2 and was good until revoked for cause. They changed that to expiring in 5 years about 25 years ago and hiked the cost. (ED: FOID needed for ammo, too.)

One further needs a pistol permit to buy a handgun. Back when I still lived there, were 2 different pistol permits. One was for hunting and target shooting. The other, much more difficult to get, was for personal protection. My dad had the 1st sort, my father in law and brother in law had the second. They were approved because both worked businesses that had a lot of cash.

As for bugging travelers, I think that was part of the impetus for the 1986 Gun Owners' Protection Act.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When I lived in Illinois, anyone under 21 could not buy handgun ammo, unless it could also be used in rifles, like .22.
I could have bought 9 MM and .45 ACP as I have the Marlin Camp carbines.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Historical tid-bit....

I was on a rifle team in NH when I was in High School, we were always concerned any time we had to cross into Mass for an event or competition.

glhs837

Power with Control
Under the Bartley-Fox gun law, one has to have a Firearm Owner's ID card to be able to purchase rifles and shotguns. When I got mine in March 1975 when I turned 18, it cost $2 and was good until revoked for cause. They changed that to expiring in 5 years about 25 years ago and hiked the cost. (ED: FOID needed for ammo, too.)

One further needs a pistol permit to buy a handgun. Back when I still lived there, were 2 different pistol permits. One was for hunting and target shooting. The other, much more difficult to get, was for personal protection. My dad had the 1st sort, my father in law and brother in law had the second. They were approved because both worked businesses that had a lot of cash.

As for bugging travelers, I think that was part of the impetus for the 1986 Gun Owners' Protection Act.

Two buddies of mine both wear and carry in MA. One owns his own travel agency and before 2008 owned his own construction business. The other was a big time private/corporate chef who I assume carried large amounts of cash. Both grew up corner kids in Dorchester, and that sort of upbringing always brings a wide variety of friends.