Gyros???

mAlice

professional daydreamer
My best friend in high school was Greek. Both her parents were Greek. Her dad owned a Greek restaurant. I ate there often.

Could it be that the Greek cook pretty much like everyone else in the world? Just a little bit different than the folks next door?

B has been to Greece several times and says Niko's is very close to what he ate there.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
B has been to Greece several times and says Niko's is very close to what he ate there.

That's awesome. I'd love to experience Greece myself!

I personally don't care for Niko's because I think it's flavorless and boring. Having eaten at Charlie's for many years (because I no longer lived in VA), I was very disappointed when I had Niko's the first time.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
That's awesome. I'd love to experience Greece myself!

I personally don't care for Niko's because I think it's flavorless and boring. Having eaten at Charlie's for many years (because I no longer lived in VA), I was very disappointed when I had Niko's the first time.

Same can be said for mexican food. Many people tend to think of mexiacan food as spicey, but authentic mexican food is actually very bland.

I'll have to check out Charlie's Deli some day.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Mmmm...I love me some Niko's. But, Chasey, feel free to come get me and take me to Ft. Wash to try Charlie's. :jet:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Could it be that the Greek cook pretty much like everyone else in the world? Just a little bit different than the folks next door?

I don't think the people at Niko's can get anyMORE Greek!!

If that's not authentic I have no idea what would be.

AeroTaken

Yep and in my opinion the food is just so so now.

Yes, they did divorce and she got the business. Funny, since she did the majority of the cooking every time I've been in there over the past 30 years, how would the food taste different now that Nick isn't there? Its still just as good as it has always been...EXCELLENT!!!!

I saw Nick over at Spyro's one day last year (shortly before they sold it) and he just looked lost.

itsbob said:
I don't think the people at Niko's can get anyMORE Greek!!

If that's not authentic I have no idea what would be.

No Kidding!!!! I've had greek food in LOTS of different places and Niko's compared to or was better than even the more expensive Greek restaurants (you know that charged $15 for the same $9 Gyro I get at Niko's). Oh and before someone complains that greek food is more than Gyros, I was just using a Gyro as an example.

What I really hate is the places that advertise as "authentic greek" but when you ask for a "Yee-roh" pronounced properly they say "huh", but if you say "jy-roh" they say "oh yeah, we make those." Which is when I say "nevermind!!!"

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Yes, they did divorce and she got the business. Funny, since she did the majority of the cooking every time I've been in there over the past 30 years, how would the food taste different now that Nick isn't there? Its still just as good as it has always been...EXCELLENT!!!!

I saw Nick over at Spyro's one day last year (shortly before they sold it) and he just looked lost.

No Kidding!!!! I've had greek food in LOTS of different places and Niko's compared to or was better than even the more expensive Greek restaurants (you know that charged $15 for the same $9 Gyro I get at Niko's). Oh and before someone complains that greek food is more than Gyros, I was just using a Gyro as an example.

What I really hate is the places that advertise as "authentic greek" but when you ask for a "Yee-roh" pronounced properly they say "huh", but if you say "jy-roh" they say "oh yeah, we make those." Which is when I say "nevermind!!!"

YES! I had this problem at a place near my college..they made good gyros...but looked at you like you had ten heads if you pronounced it any other way than JJYY-roh. But they put huge chunks of feta in it..so I didn't complain much..i love that stuff

AeroTaken

YES! I had this problem at a place near my college..they made good gyros...but looked at you like you had ten heads if you pronounced it any other way than JJYY-roh. But they put huge chunks of feta in it..so I didn't complain much..i love that stuff

Have to admit there have been times that I've gone ahead and ordered the JJYY-roh because it smelled good in the place and they were ok!!! And yes I LOVE the feta too.

OK so this has MADE me HAVE to eat at Niko's for lunch today!!!!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Have to admit there have been times that I've gone ahead and ordered the JJYY-roh because it smelled good in the place and they were ok!!! And yes I LOVE the feta too.

OK so this has MADE me HAVE to eat at Niko's for lunch today!!!!

Hahah you too? I was gonna head down there myself. Yummm.

AeroTaken

Hahah you too? I was gonna head down there myself. Yummm.

Oh I am absolutely going there for lunch today - probably wait till about 1 to be after the lunch rush and traffic. Hell I just ate my oatmeal at 9 so I'm good for another couple of hours, LOL. BTW the Fruit and Maple Oatmeal from McDonalds is GREAT...I have never liked oatmeal and I LOVE that stuff!!!! I think its all the fresh apples in it that makes it actually taste good

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Oh I am absolutely going there for lunch today - probably wait till about 1 to be after the lunch rush and traffic. Hell I just ate my oatmeal at 9 so I'm good for another couple of hours, LOL. BTW the Fruit and Maple Oatmeal from McDonalds is GREAT...I have never liked oatmeal and I LOVE that stuff!!!! I think its all the fresh apples in it that makes it actually taste good

Nice try. Everyone knows you just get it for the toy!

AeroTaken

Nice try. Everyone knows you just get it for the toy!

Alright you busted me.....I have a pretty pink princess crown on my desk right now and a pile of those dragon toys at home!!!!

So should I just go ahead and fix my own post, LOL

AeroTaken said:
BTW the Fruit and Maple Oatmeal from McDonalds is GREAT...I have never liked oatmeal and I LOVE that stuff!!!! I think its all the dragon toys you get with it that makes it actually taste good

molly_21

Arby's has gyro's. But they of course suck compared to real ones. Niko's is OK for a fix (and Arby's). But I have had way better gyro's than Niko's.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Not St. Marys but Ouzo's in La Plata is FAN FREAKIN TASTIC!!!

I love that freaking place. Yum-O as Rachel Ray would say. Totally worth the drive.

I can't give a review for Niko's because everytime I try to go they are closed, for a trip, for a holiday, for a birthday, for remodeling, for some such or another thing, so I finally stopped trying to go.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
i just finished my gyro. Freakin delicious. Though the lady who took my order looked like I was the child of satan when i told her no onions :killingme