Hand-pump wells allowed?

Clem72

Do you need any special license or permissions to install a hand-pump well? I know they weren't allowed where I used to live because the city didn't allow private wells (and if you already had one you had to pay the water company for water you pumped from your own well).

Clem72

St. Mary's has a "Well Certification Program", pretty sure it will be as painful as possible considering it is a health department program.
They do that for non-potable hand-pump (I.E. less than 20ft 1.5" pipe) well? That site mentions a well driller, these things are normally knocked in like a fence post. To be honest, it wouldn't go down as low as my basement sump. Do people need a well permit for a basement sump, because I don't see the difference other than the pump attached at the end.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Don't know your intended use but it says "Potable water supplies, monitoring, agriculture and geothermal wells are all wells that require a Maryland Licensed Well Driller to obtain a permit from the Health Department. These permits are reviewed to ensure that all information is correct and that the proposed well meets the required setbacks from property lines, structures and potential sources of contamination. Some wells require additional Special Conditions during the construction of the well due to the property location and the proximity of potential sources of contamination."

SamSpade

Sometimes it seems like burdensome regulations are simply put there so individuals in charge of the county and state government - don't really have to DO anything. Just make a reg, and sit on your ass the rest of the day.

Beginning to believe Trump when he says overregulation is the bane of the U.S. economy.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Shoot..when I had to have my 1860s drilled well replaced, the county required that it be filled and capped. The 1700s farm I grew up on had a hand pump on top of a 40' deep hand dug well. It still worked fine...when the folks had a deep well drilled (1970s) the county required the old well be filled. The well driller was a friend....looked the other way. That old hand pump was a favorite place to go stand and get wet after baling 500 and getting ready to hit the milking barn for the rest of the day/evening.

Clem72

Don't know your intended use but it says "Potable water supplies, monitoring, agriculture and geothermal wells are all wells that require a Maryland Licensed Well Driller to obtain a permit from the Health Department. These permits are reviewed to ensure that all information is correct and that the proposed well meets the required setbacks from property lines, structures and potential sources of contamination. Some wells require additional Special Conditions during the construction of the well due to the property location and the proximity of potential sources of contamination."
Honestly it was more general interest, but if I wanted to create a garden area on the far side of my property I could either run 100 yards of pipe from my home, run a long hose above ground that I have to move every time I mow, or I could knock and hand-pump 15 feet into the ground to hit my water table.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Shoot..when I had to have my 1860s drilled well replaced, the county required that it be filled and capped.
I've got a ground water well from the 1950s under part of my house .... the top ring was pulled off and a lid put on

PeoplesElbow

Sometimes it seems like burdensome regulations are simply put there so individuals in charge of the county and state government - don't really have to DO anything. Just make a reg, and sit on your ass the rest of the day.

Beginning to believe Trump when he says overregulation is the bane of the U.S. economy.
A few years ago during sequestration a bunch of new NAVAIR regulations showed up, it was because a bunch of people that were always on travel for work couldn't travel any more so they needed to find something for them to do.

SamSpade

A few years ago during sequestration a bunch of new NAVAIR regulations showed up, it was because a bunch of people that were always on travel for work couldn't travel any more so they needed to find something for them to do.
Trump was saying on Ingraham that way too much of the cost of a new house - is regulation.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Honestly it was more general interest, but if I wanted to create a garden area on the far side of my property I could either run 100 yards of pipe from my home, run a long hose above ground that I have to move every time I mow, or I could knock and hand-pump 15 feet into the ground to hit my water table.
Come on, its Maryland, expect it to be a costly and unpleasant endeavor.

Kinnakeet

I think he will be using a sledge hammer,we did that once on the eastern shore to get water at Hunting camp and it worked

TPD

the poor dad
My grandfather used this method with a tree branch-don’t remember the type- for the dug well that I still have at the farm, and it worked. When our neighbors’ wells were running drying during droughts, we always had water. My mother could wash as many loads of clothes as she needed AND we could fill our 250 gallon barrel for planting tobacco and spraying as often as needed and the well would always refill. We no longer use that well but I do try to pump it out every couple of years just to keep the veins open.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My grandfather used this method with a tree branch-don’t remember the type- for the dug well that I still have at the farm, and it worked. When our neighbors’ wells were running drying during droughts, we always had water. My mother could wash as many loads of clothes as she needed AND we could fill our 250 gallon barrel for planting tobacco and spraying as often as needed and the well would always refill. We no longer use that well but I do try to pump it out every couple of years just to keep the veins open.

When I had my main water line replaced a bunch of years ago, one of the techs used a dousing rod to locate the pipe, and was more accurate than the guy with a metal finding meter.