Handloading?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I just started looking into getting into reloading ammo and I noticed something odd, almost everything required for reloading pistol ammo is out of stock. Is this normal or a new thing caused by this administration.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
I just started looking into getting into reloading ammo and I noticed something odd, almost everything required for reloading pistol ammo is out of stock. Is this normal or a new thing caused by this administration.
Yes, caused by the price of ammo going up.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member

Attachments

• Gun_Salesman_of_the_Year.jpg
    Gun_Salesman_of_the_Year.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 135

LordStanley

I know nothing

cheaperthandirt dot com

Pushrod

Patriot
Reloading supplies have been hard to come by for nearly two years now. Its starting to loosen up a little now and most supplies can be found online, although prices are still high. Check out powdervalley.com, they have just about all your needs.

Inkd

Supplies are starting to show up again, after the Kenyan in chief was elected, there was a run on ammo and reloading supplies that depleted inventories very fast and manufacturers are just starting to get caught up Gun shows can be a good one stop shopping for most of your components. Be careful about ordering primers and powder on line, I heard the HAZMAT shipping fees can be pretty outrageous. PM me what you are looking for, I may be able to put you in touch with a local guy who has some in stock.

Bigpops92

What caliber are you reloading? Depending on the brand of primers you desire they can be found. As mentioned, Powder Valley, Wideners, and Graf and Sons have a good supply.

I would also suggest the Brian Enos forum. There is a great deal of info there and also a great place to seek supplies.

If your in a big crunch I may be able to help you out...depending on what your loading.

PM me if needed.

To add - when the Clinton/ Obama campaigns hit the street the gun owners and shooters freaked. Gun sales, ammo and supplies sky rocketed. The war effort has also killed access to supplies and contractors are meeting the demand.

Last edited:

bulldog

So, what do you guys recommend for varmit shooting about to...say 150 yards?
I've been going after the ground hogs (13 total) using my .243 which is more than I "need". Was thinking about scaling down to a .17, .204 or .221.

Comments?

T

toppick08

So, what do you guys recommend for varmit shooting about to...say 150 yards?
I've been going after the ground hogs (13 total) using my .243 which is more than I "need". Was thinking about scaling down to a .17, .204 or .221.

Comments?

Vince

Hunted ground hog for a lot of years in my youth. Using a .22 back then, which was all I had. Obviously, I didn't kill a lot of them. A friend brought his rifle one weekend. A .22-250. Excellent varmit gun. Not too much like a .243 or 30.06 and not too little like a .22. Just right.

bulldog

Hunted ground hog for a lot of years in my youth. Using a .22 back then, which was all I had. Obviously, I didn't kill a lot of them. A friend brought his rifle one weekend. A .22-250. Excellent varmit gun. Not too much like a .243 or 30.06 and not too little like a .22. Just right.

another consideration that I forgot to list. Thanks.

Inkd

Out of the three you had listed, any will do the trick but I would probably take the 17, depending on the distances you are talking about. I have friends who use the 204 for busting Coyotes and it does a hell of a job. A 17 is a great, violently expanding cartridge for varmints that was designed to break up on impact with the animal or a corresponding firm surface. It has a relatively low ballistic coefficient, so it does get pushed around by the wind though. If 150 yards is your max shot due to your comfort level and not your surroundings, i'd go with the 204, 223 or 22-250 with a varmint tipped bullet and have at it.

bulldog

Out of the three you had listed, any will do the trick but I would probably take the 17, depending on the distances you are talking about. I have friends who use the 204 for busting Coyotes and it does a hell of a job. A 17 is a great, violently expanding cartridge for varmints that was designed to break up on impact with the animal or a corresponding firm surface. It has a relatively low ballistic coefficient, so it does get pushed around by the wind though. If 150 yards is your max shot due to your comfort level and not your surroundings, i'd go with the 204, 223 or 22-250 with a varmint tipped bullet and have at it.

Thanks. The 150 yards limit is due to surroundings, not my personal comfort level with shooting.

Inkd

Thanks. The 150 yards limit is due to surroundings, not my personal comfort level with shooting.

Then a 17 would probably be the best bet. I had a friend shoot a bobcat at about 80 yards with one and he said it just flopped over like it was taking a nap. He is a taxidermiest and hide damage is a real concern, he said the hide had a small entry hole, no exit and the insides we just mushed. You can get a Savage 17 bolt action for a pretty decent price through wal-mart.

bulldog

I just love lever action all around best gun...:buddies:.....:lol:......really, get a .22 pistol and hollow points.......:yahoo:

That I understand and have seriously considered buying a 30/30 just for that reason, just to have cause I like them so much. Nothing wrong with a little cowboy action.
I wish I was skilled enough to use a .22 pistol out to 80-100 yards, but I'm not.

bulldog

Then a 17 would probably be the best bet. I had a friend shoot a bobcat at about 80 yards with one and he said it just flopped over like it was taking a nap. He is a taxidermiest and hide damage is a real concern, he said the hide had a small entry hole, no exit and the insides we just mushed. You can get a Savage 17 bolt action for a pretty decent price through wal-mart.

Is the 17 though Wal-Mart a good product? I have heard, over and over throughout the years that the guns that they get in stock are somehow "seconds" of what the manufacturers put out. Not in a defective way, but sort of their bottom of the line. Any idea if that one would have the heavy bull barrell on it? My understanding is that improves on stability.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Inkd

Is the 17 though Wal-Mart a good product? I have heard, over and over throughout the years that the guns that they get in stock are somehow "seconds" of what the manufacturers put out. Not in a defective way, but sort of their bottom of the line. Any idea if that one would have the heavy bull barrell on it? My understanding is that improves on stability.
Thanks for the thoughts.

I don't know about them stocking bottom of the line guns, I've bought several guns through Wal-Mart and never had a problem with them. I'm pretty sure they have the bull barrel model there, if it's not in the store, go to the website and see if they offer it, if it's on their site, they will order it if they don't have it in stock. Check prices, a heavy bull barrel reduces the vibrations in the barrel from the gunshot so that will inprove accuracy. A heavier gun is generally more stable and that helps with accuracy also but they are generally a bit more expensive. I would think what you need it for a plain jane model would suffice. With a decent 3x9 scope you should be whacking whistle pigs in no time.