Harbor Freight in Waldorf?

Agee

Yeah at 4x the markup ... no thanks My Sears Craftsman have lasted decades

Who owns Craftsman tools now?

Stanley Black & Decker has chosen Lowe's as the next retail destination for its Craftsman brand, which it bought from Sears Holdings earlier this year. Sears had controlled the iconic tool name for 90 years. Now, Craftsman is looking to grow with its new owner through other retailers.Oct 24, 2017

Other Choices:

Where are Husky tools made?
Home Depot also carries a higher end line of tools marked Husky Pro. Husky hand tools were formerly manufactured exclusively in the United States but are now largely made in China and Taiwan. All Husky hand tools have a lifetime warranty.
Husky (tools) - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husky_(tools)

Craftsman No Longer Made in the USA

Are Craftsman hand tools made in USA?
People use Craftsman because of their value, and more importantly, being madehere in America. Recently, the top brass at Sears had decided to outsource the manufacturing of Craftsman hand tools to places like China and Taiwan. The sockets, ratchets, wrenches and other hand tools you buy are now being madeoverseas.Mar 27, 2013
Craftsman: Made in the USA – Manufactured in China? | My Private ...
mypbrand.com/2013/03/27/craftsman-made-in-the-usa-manufactured-in-china/

Maybe that is changing again ?

Sorry to hear this...
Will this affect the lifetime replacement warranty?

Chris0nllyn

Mechanics bragging they paid $ 20,000 for some fancy tool box

My dad has only bought two tool boxes in his 35+ years of being a mechanic. His first was a MAC. Second was a Snap-On, $20k tool box.

When you use something everyday, sometimes it's worth it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
When you use something everyday, sometimes it's worth it.

My 1995 Saturn DD worked just as well as my 2003 Aviator guess which was cheaper over time.

You are NOT going to convince me of the 'value' in OVER PRICED Snap ON Tools ...

this dude spent $ 62,000 on his setup ...

My Ex FIL had Craftsman Tool boxes that lasted him a life time.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Just used my $25 150lb collapsible dolly to bring some boxes 150 feet down the recycled asphalt drive. Love this thing.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've noticed some Craftsman tape measures say right on the front, 1 year warranty. I think it's on a case by case basis, what they stand behind. They will still take ratchets, sockets, and such back for a no cost replacement.

I've had my Craftsman tools since '72. Other than stripping off the tips of screwdrivers and losing sockets, there is nothing that compares to those tools.

Grumpy

Have a 35 yr old 1/4" craftsman ratchet that broke a couple weeks ago, threw it away thinking I couldn't get a free replacement with Sears going under. :lol:

Reactions: BOP

glhs837

Power with Control
Have a 35 yr old 1/4" craftsman ratchet that broke a couple weeks ago, threw it away thinking I couldn't get a free replacement with Sears going under. :lol:

Shoulda tried. I know back when, our first step was to whip out a repair kit and rebuild it there on the counter.

Rommey

...no thanks My Sears Craftsman have lasted decades
I have mostly Craftsman tools. I had to get a few things from Snap On because I couldn't find the specific tool anywhere else (likely could have found them, but I was also under a time crunch when I had to get them, so I went with availability over price...). That being said, Craftsman ⅜" drive ratchets are the worst. The mechanisms just are worthless once any torque is put on them. I don't have a problem with the ¼" or ½" drive ratchets.

PeoplesElbow

I actually like Stahlwille much better than Snap On, we wear out snap on ratchets in a few years time. The thing that keeps us going back to snap-on is that they immediately offer us a 50% discount. The Stahlwille are also more ergonomic, atleast for my hands.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
3/8 ratchets really depends on when you bought them, I have Units I bought in the 90's I still use ... I have 2 things I bought from Snap on in 30 yrs of working on my junk .... that being a Ball Joint Remover ... it wasnt Snap On by OMC

Now I can find ANY tool I need on line

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Read an article last summer with the President/CEO of Stanley-Black and Decker.
He said, as bought, Craftsman was 30% Made in USA.
They have a plan, bumping up against the realities of the Global Marketplace, to get it up to 70% over the next 5 years.
They broke ground last August, as I recall, on a new factory in the Midwest to make Craftsman, cost will be around $90 Million.

They also accepted the Life Time Warranty as a part of the Craftsman legacy.

If we sell the item, or the direct replacement, Lowe's will take care of the warranty exchange.
Otherwise, there is a Craftsman website/customer service center where they will take care of things.

PeoplesElbow

Read an article last summer with the President/CEO of Stanley-Black and Decker.
He said, as bought, Craftsman was 30% Made in USA.
They have a plan, bumping up against the realities of the Global Marketplace, to get it up to 70% over the next 5 years.
They broke ground last August, as I recall, on a new factory in the Midwest to make Craftsman, cost will be around $90 Million.

They also accepted the Life Time Warranty as a part of the Craftsman legacy.

If we sell the item, or the direct replacement, Lowe's will take care of the warranty exchange.
Otherwise, there is a Craftsman website/customer service center where they will take care of things.
Will they require a receipt? I have read stories where Sears would not warranty the item because people did not have a 20 year old receipt.

glhs837

Power with Control
Will they require a receipt? I have read stories where Sears would not warranty the item because people did not have a 20 year old receipt.

Really? Sounds like a rouge arsehole. Now, it was a ways back, but the six months I spent working in a Sears tool department, it was hardcore. We took every measure to verify it was a Craftsman tool, and once we did, hereya go. One guy came in sheepishly with a rusty tiwsted blackened speed handle. Said he understood if we couldnt replace it, it was in such poor shape. Said it had broke the previous fall trying to remove something from a tractor, and used a breaker bar across it, and the barn had burnt down, and here it was spring and they were finally removing the rubble and came across it. Said his Dad insisted he bring it in. Manager grabbed it, went and got a new wire brush and went at it. Once we saw CRA and AN at the end, boss said go grab him a new one. One reason the name is always marked permanently in the tool.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
As far as I understand it, no receipt needed so long as it is a Craftsman tool, and we sell the replacement.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've seen thin walled 1/2" drive sockets that had been distorted by impact wrenches replaced because they cracked. It all depends on the mood the clerk is in when you go to return it. If you have an attitude when you go to return it, don't be surprised if you're turned away. It's the front line guy that makes the call, not corporate.

Yesterday I saw a 1/4" ratchet selling for more than an 11 pc set with what appeared to be the same ratchet. These are the ones with the sharp edges on the handle and plastic directional selector, not their higher end professional series with smooth polished handles.

BOP

Some of their stuff isn't too far off from what the local auto parts stores sell. I picked up a set of combination wrenches for work, because tools have a tendency to grow legs. Something like $20 for 32 pc set is hard to beat.

I have their 120v impact wrench to use around the yard. It helps when you're working on your rusty trailers or rotating tires. Glad I bought the extended warranty.

Their 21 gallon compressor, 3200 watt generator, US General rolling mechanics cart all serve their purpose just fine.

Tarps, cut-off wheels, and marine shrink tubing all do the same job at a fraction of hardware store prices.

My boy is just starting out as an auto technician. He is investing his money in quality tools to do his job, Home Depot and HF tool boxes give him a place to secure his investments. They are heavy gauge steel, have smooth casters and drawers, and they lock.
I was a dealer and independent wrench for over 20 years. Especially at service stations, tools want sprout wings and fly away. Then there are the people who come in and beg, whine, plead, cajole, wheedle to try and borrow tools. I gave up and kept a drawer full of crap wrenches and screwdrivers picked up at swap meets and flea markets, almost by the pound.

Had one guy spot my Snap-on breaker bar that probably cost me $100.00, even got nasty about wanting to borrow it...until I threatened to rearrange his features with it.

BOP

what-people-thinka-rape-van-looks-like-snap-an-www-snapon-com-whata-28463317.png
Most of my tools came off those trucks. Cornwell, Mac, Matco, Snap-on....you're paying a hefty price for convenience and a revolving charge account, but sometimes, it can't be helped, specifically with respect to specialty tools.