Harbor Freight in Waldorf?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
but sometimes, it can't be helped, specifically with respect to specialty tools.
Most of mine are Craftsman, Easco, Blackhawk and some inherited Snap-on.

That's where snap-on got me a couple decades ago. They're good about making themselves nessesary.

Reactions: BOP

BOP

Have a 35 yr old 1/4" craftsman ratchet that broke a couple weeks ago, threw it away thinking I couldn't get a free replacement with Sears going under. :lol:
I had a half-inch Craftsman ratchet that I bought back in the '70s. The head stripped out, took it back, they replaced it no questions asked. I still have the replacement as well as the original socket set. Still have the 1/4 sets as well. Not sure why I never bought the 3/8 set.

PeoplesElbow

I was a dealer and independent wrench for over 20 years. Especially at service stations, tools want sprout wings and fly away. Then there are the people who come in and beg, whine, plead, cajole, wheedle to try and borrow tools. I gave up and kept a drawer full of crap wrenches and screwdrivers picked up at swap meets and flea markets, almost by the pound.

Had one guy spot my Snap-on breaker bar that probably cost me $100.00, even got nasty about wanting to borrow it...until I threatened to rearrange his features with it.
People really do that? wow

I can see a neighbor, friend or family member wanting to borrow a tool but just some guy that walks in?

People really do that? wow

I can see a neighbor, friend or family member wanting to borrow a tool but just some guy that walks in?
Oh yeah. I managed a repair shop for a few years. Weekend mechanics who didn't want to spend money on a special tool for a one time use would just walk in and almost demand to use your tools.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Oh yeah. I managed a repair shop for a few years. Weekend mechanics who didn't want to spend money on a special tool for a one time use would just walk in and almost demand to use your tools.

Unbelievable the cajones some people have. Unfortunately some people don't even ask. My son lost a brake tool to someone in his shop. It wasn't an expensive tool, from what I can remember, but it was something he used frequently so he had to replace it pronto. A lesson learned the hard way, but his boxes are locked and double checked now.

He also likes the fact that some tool trucks deal in used tools as well as new. That way he trades in and up for better tools all the time.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I had a half-inch Craftsman ratchet that I bought back in the '70s.

I had one of these I shattered into 2 pieces and tore off the bit that goes into the socket .. with a 4 foot cheater pipe nad a 36mm Socket Trying to remove a VW Beetle Axle Nut.
The handle broke off at the grooved parts. I got it replaced under warranty.

PeoplesElbow

Wow, only as a last resort I would go in and ask while offering a payment and a deposit.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We still have one of the old Craftsman 300 piece sets, with mechanics tool box, that we received as a wedding present back in June 82.

We still have one of the old Craftsman 300 piece sets, with mechanics tool box, that we received as a wedding present back in June 82.
I'll see you and raise you...

I got a small tool box with a Craftsman screwdriver and a slip-wrench for Christmas, must have been like 8 or 10 y/o. Still have them. I'm 65 now.

PeoplesElbow

I think I have you both beat, I got some of my grandfathers Craftsman stuff, he died 10 years ago, he was 91 when he died.

I wanted the table saw that was in his garage but at the time I had no way to get it out of there to Maryland, it was from around 1952 when he moved into that house.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I had one of these I shattered into 2 pieces and tore off the bit that goes into the socket .. with a 4 foot cheater pipe nad a 36mm Socket Trying to remove a VW Beetle Axle Nut.

View attachment 135874
We used BA adjustable wrench and a 6 foot piece of well pipe for that job. I forgot to torque one down properly, ONCE. Lost a rear wheel and drum cruising down Rt 242 at 50 mph. Good times...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I forgot to torque one down properly

Midas did me the honor .. although I only ended up stranded driving cross country when the splines finished getting striped out
I managed to get it towed off of Rt 70 ... Outside Terra Haute Indiana and the Thats States largest Junk Yard ... they had ONE Beetle
One used rear brake drum later I was back on the road .... I carried one of these in my tool box, and a BFH ...

Kinnakeet

Yeah at 4x the markup ... no thanks My Sears Craftsman have lasted decades

Who owns Craftsman tools now?

Stanley Black & Decker has chosen Lowe's as the next retail destination for its Craftsman brand, which it bought from Sears Holdings earlier this year. Sears had controlled the iconic tool name for 90 years. Now, Craftsman is looking to grow with its new owner through other retailers.Oct 24, 2017

Other Choices:

Where are Husky tools made?
Home Depot also carries a higher end line of tools marked Husky Pro. Husky hand tools were formerly manufactured exclusively in the United States but are now largely made in China and Taiwan. All Husky hand tools have a lifetime warranty.
Husky (tools) - Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husky_(tools)

Craftsman No Longer Made in the USA

Are Craftsman hand tools made in USA?
People use Craftsman because of their value, and more importantly, being madehere in America. Recently, the top brass at Sears had decided to outsource the manufacturing of Craftsman hand tools to places like China and Taiwan. The sockets, ratchets, wrenches and other hand tools you buy are now being madeoverseas.Mar 27, 2013
Craftsman: Made in the USA – Manufactured in China? | My Private ...
mypbrand.com/2013/03/27/craftsman-made-in-the-usa-manufactured-in-china/

Maybe that is changing again ?

add Fluke and Levis and Redwing to the ever growing list of chinese made products

BOP

I think I have you both beat, I got some of my grandfathers Craftsman stuff, he died 10 years ago, he was 91 when he died.

I wanted the table saw that was in his garage but at the time I had no way to get it out of there to Maryland, it was from around 1952 when he moved into that house.
My uncle died back in Iowa a few years ago. My brothers went out there to take care of his stuff. They said he had a crap-ton of wood working tools, some from antiquity, but there was no way for me to get out there at the time. Hopefully it all went to charity.

BOP

View attachment 135874
You know, it occurs to me that I may have stripped mine out doing exactly the same thing, or at least something involving a cheater bar. Mine is the old square one.