Hardwood or Carpet

Which would be better in a bedroom, Hardwood or carpet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M

Mousebaby

I have hardwood throughout my upstairs, its the best thing I ever did!!! Kids messes clean up easier, less dust, a heck of a lot easier to care for, not to mention beautiful!!!! No way will I ever go back to carpet! Make sure you find a good place to do it for you, do your research, you want to find a good deal and someone that actually cares about how your house will look when its done. NEVER buy laminate flooring, its just particle board with a wood colored paper on top. Its way to easy to damage. If you damage the hardwood, its easy to cover up and no one will even notice it! I would recommend the people who did my floors but they moved their business to NC. Hope this helps! Oh and if you want to see pics of my floors just ask! :howdy:

bcp

In My Opinion
Go with hardwood.
it has more advantage than disadvantage.
plus 50 years from now with care the hardwood will still look good, but you would be on your 2nd or 3rd carpet.

and as noted above less dust and smell. good for people with allergies also.
just damp mop it with whatever the manufacture suggests and you should be good to go for years to come.

do however make sure that the people that put it down are good, squeaky floors suck big time.

let me suggest, free floating with a finish that only requires the occassional damp mop, No wax floors have come a long way in the last decade.

so, look for type of finish, type of care required, scratch resistance, installation process and color choices. Worry about price only to the point of it breaking you to do it. If you figure in the life of the floor vs the price of carpets and care over the same period of time, you might find that the hardwood is a less expensive way to go over the long run.

This coming from a person that makes part of his living from peoples nasty carpets.

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
I voted carpet but I guess a throw rug works too and is cheaper than a whole carpet. Just get someone to do it. I laid hardwood floor with PT one night till 4:30am one morning and it truly sucked. I have done laminate too which was dusty and sucked even more. Refinishing hardwood has to be way cheaper than carpet.

jackers

I also voted carpet but you guys have me thinking. I am just about to begin looking at recarpeting my townhouse. I know this is a pretty open-ended question but how much more is hardwood flooring compared to carpeting. I am sure there are differences in quality and all of that, but going off of what you guys already talked about.

Thanks

Vince

vraiblonde said:
Absolutely hardwood. You can always throw down an area rug if you want to.
Zactly. And when you want to you can change the area rug, no problem and still have nice hardwood floors. :yay:

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Carpet in a bedroom. Wood or tile anywhere else. Wood floors don't muffle sound, they carry it quite well :whistle:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
After moving out of a house with all hard flooring I prematuraly would have said carpet just because I'm slightly obsessive and there were lots of dust bunnies under the furniture. Now, having gone back to carpet for the past several weeks I'm missing my hardwood terribly! Vacuming daily blows!

Nanny Pam

cattitude said:
Did you see the thread I just posted "Good Grief Biscuit?"

Hardwood..no question. :lol:
Let me ask you a question, Catt....
I would LOVE hardwood, however I have serious problems with my legs & feet. Would the hardwood REALLY make that much of a difference?

_MightyMouse_

_USMCScoutSwimmer_
Without a doubt, hardwood is the way to go. I just moved into my house, and the main reason for me buying this house was the appeal of the hardwood floors. Also, my friends say the same thing - the hardwood floors make this house...

M

Mousebaby

Nanny Pam said:
Let me ask you a question, Catt....
I would LOVE hardwood, however I have serious problems with my legs & feet. Would the hardwood REALLY make that much of a difference?

Nanny, I have horrible problems with my knees and feet. I have not noticed any worse for wear since I got my hardwood. In fact, I would say the hardwood is better on the feet and legs because you are not standing nearly as long to keep it clean! I absolutely love my hardwood!

:howdy:

jackers

How big of a price difference is there between just getting carpet replaced and getting hardwood flooring installed?

I am going to be doing one or the other shortly and would prefer hardwood, but not at two or three times the price of carpet.

Nanny Pam

Mousebaby said:
Nanny, I have horrible problems with my knees and feet. I have not noticed any worse for wear since I got my hardwood. In fact, I would say the hardwood is better on the feet and legs because you are not standing nearly as long to keep it clean! I absolutely love my hardwood!

:howdy:
Thanks. :huggy:

receipt19

we had carpeting and guess what? it is a true fact that carpeting is ten times dirtier than a city street... go with the hardwood, trust me.