Hardwood or Carpet

Which would be better in a bedroom, Hardwood or carpet?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pingrr

I was thinking of somthing else when the question was about hardwood or carpet and it has nothing to do with the floor.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Since we're on the subject, what do you folks use to clean your hardwood floors and remove scratches?

S

shiki

if you're going for quality and aesthetics then hardwood all the way.

M

Mousebaby

PsyOps said:
Since we're on the subject, what do you folks use to clean your hardwood floors and remove scratches?

I got this stuff from my installer that just says Hardwood Cleaner :shrug: I have no idea what is in it but it works great! :yay: As far as covering scratches, I get the stain pens from Lowes that matches the wood. You apply the stain let it sit for a few minutes then take a paper towel and wipe it up. Covers it up perfect! If you have deep scratches take some wood filler, light color, and fill in the scratch. Take a paper towel and smooth it out and get is nice and level. Then let it dry. After it drys apply some stain with the stain pen. Let it sit for a few minutes then wipe dry with a paper towel! :yay: Perfect!! Get the good stain pens, not the cheap ones, you will definitely notice a difference! Hope this helps! :howdy:

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
PsyOps said:

As for cleaning, I use Murphey's- Soap oil or something similiar. It says it's for hardwood floors, and it's the only cleaner I've ever seen for hardwood. :shrug: I've used it since I was little and it does what it says (cleans and reduces the appearance of scratches.)

As far as removing scratches, I try my damndest not to get them- furniture pads are your friends. I haven't tried the pens Mouse suggested, guess I'll have to.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Mousebaby said:
I got this stuff from my installer that just says Hardwood Cleaner :shrug: I have no idea what is in it but it works great! :yay: As far as covering scratches, I get the stain pens from Lowes that matches the wood. You apply the stain let it sit for a few minutes then take a paper towel and wipe it up. Covers it up perfect! If you have deep scratches take some wood filler, light color, and fill in the scratch. Take a paper towel and smooth it out and get is nice and level. Then let it dry. After it drys apply some stain with the stain pen. Let it sit for a few minutes then wipe dry with a paper towel! :yay: Perfect!! Get the good stain pens, not the cheap ones, you will definitely notice a difference! Hope this helps! :howdy:
I'm a little concerned about using some of those wood cleaners like Murphy's because they tend to either build up or strip off the finish and make the floor really slippery. My floor is a natural oak, no stain, no waxes, etc... My sister-in-law said to use warm water and vinegar. It cleans it without stripping off any finish that may be on it. The scratches I have are just surface scratches from moving furniture and such; nothing deep. Thanks for the replies.

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
PsyOps said:
I'm a little concerned about using some of those wood cleaners like Murphy's because they tend to either build up or strip off the finish and make the floor really slippery. My floor is a natural oak, no stain, no waxes, etc... My sister-in-law said to use warm water and vinegar. It cleans it without stripping off any finish that may be on it. The scratches I have are just surface scratches from moving furniture and such; nothing deep. Thanks for the replies.

Even if it is natural oak, it's still sealed- either with a penetrating sealant or polyurethane. Wood floor cleaners are designed NOT to destroy the finish, unlike most cleaners which rely on acids or bases. FYI: Vinegar is an acid.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Chain729 said:
Even if it is natural oak, it's still sealed- either with a penetrating sealant or polyurethane. Wood floor cleaners are designed NOT to destroy the finish, unlike most cleaners which rely on acids or bases. FYI: Vinegar is an acid.
Hmmm... stuff to think about. thanks.

Coventry17

I don't like COMPLETELY hardwood floors; perhaps a nice, tasteful throw rug. One that matches the drapes, of course.

CrashTest

Hardwood floors kick butt for folks like me who are anal about cleanliness.

Nevertheless, my perfect house would have epoxy-sealed concrete floors and stainless steel walls. I could do all my vacuuming with a power washer.

PsyOps

Pixelated
CrashTest said:
Hardwood floors kick butt for folks like me who are anal about cleanliness.

Nevertheless, my perfect house would have epoxy-sealed concrete floors and stainless steel walls. I could do all my vacuuming with a power washer.
Ummmm... Vacuums suck, power washers blow. :neener: