Harris Teeter

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

No water necessary. The added salt draws out any water needed. At what point did he shred the cabbage?
Shred about two and a half cabbages, wash, add 1 1/2 tablespoons celtic sea salt into bowl with cabbage, mix well by hand, let sit for a couple of hours, pack well into mason jars, leave about 1/2 inch water over cabbage held down by any kind of clean weight, cover with loose lid so gasses escape, let sit for a couple of weeks. Presto chango. Excellent fermented, full of vitamin C and other vitamins and probiotics, sauerkraut.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Shred about two and a half cabbages, wash, add 1 1/2 tablespoons celtic sea salt into bowl with cabbage, mix well by hand, let sit for a couple of hours, pack well into mason jars, leave about 1/2 inch water over cabbage held down by any kind of clean weight, cover with loose lid so gasses escape, let sit for a couple of weeks. Presto chango. Excellent fermented, full of vitamin C and other vitamins and probiotics, sauerkraut.

Fixing: I forgot. After you let sit after mixing in the salt, then you drain and rinse it all in a colander. Then you pack into mason jars. Here, you are removing any residual salt. Most of the salt is left in the cabbage. Also, you'll be amazed at how much the cabbage has decreased in volume.

Give it a try. It is much tastier and so much more crispier that the store bought commercially made stuff.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If I may ...

If you want to make life really easy use these

it’s almost impossible for the cabbage to float above the brine and get moldy.

Also 1 medium head of cabbage fits in a quart jar, doesn’t look like it should, but it does.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I hope everyone remembers the caraway seed in their sauerkraut when cooking. It's not sauerkraut without it.