Has anyone tried these LED lights.

ylexot

Super Genius
I'm actually thinking about creating a solar/LED setup for my outside lights. You can buy the lights pre-made, but I'd rather have a single, high-quality solar panel to power all of them. I found these 12V LED strings:
12 volt LED Light Strings 12v LED light strings sustainable lights no mercury free green lights christmas lights rv lights camper lights golf cart lights Red amber yellow orange green blue cool white warm white soft white: ImaginaryColours.com

But they're pretty pricy. I might just make my own strings:
Battery Christmas Lights: How to convert Xmas lights to run on batteries/DC (regular or LED)

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
That's just a basic "series parallel" circuit. You're changing how (and how much) voltage & current goes through the bulbs.
The major cost will be in the solar panel. That is, unless you have thousands of lights to put up. I'd be curious how it works out for you.

ylexot

Super Genius
That's just a basic "series parallel" circuit. You're changing how (and how much) voltage & current goes through the bulbs.
The major cost will be in the solar panel. That is, unless you have thousands of lights to put up. I'd be curious how it works out for you.

It would probably only be ~160 lights, so not many.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I heard on the radio today that a town in Wyoming replaced all their traffic lights with LED bulbs in an effort to "go green". Turns out the LED lights don't give off as much heat as regular lights so therefore when ice/snow form on the traffic lights, the LED lights can't melt it and drivers can't see if the light is red, yellow or green. They had to put crews out to scrape off the ice of the lights. Since winter lasts about 8 months, it will cost them more to pay the crews to scrape the ice than just keeping the old bulbs in the traffic lights would have. :lol:

ylexot

Super Genius
I heard on the radio today that a town in Wyoming replaced all their traffic lights with LED bulbs in an effort to "go green". Turns out the LED lights don't give off as much heat as regular lights so therefore when ice/snow form on the traffic lights, the LED lights can't melt it and drivers can't see if the light is red, yellow or green. They had to put crews out to scrape off the ice of the lights. Since winter lasts about 8 months, it will cost them more to pay the crews to scrape the ice than just keeping the old bulbs in the traffic lights would have. :lol:

Yeah, there was a thread about that somewhere.

Oh, and I forgot some bulbs that I want. Looks like I'll need ~300-400 lights. Still not too bad.

I have a box full of solar panels in the basement, had great plans for them, never got a round tuit. 12v, don't remember the wattage. They were designed as keep-alive chargers for a car, plug it into the cig lighter jack.

I should really do something with them....

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Oh, and I forgot some bulbs that I want. Looks like I'll need ~300-400 lights. Still not too bad.
Just figure the wattage. 400 LED's at .96 watts equals 384 watts total. Not a lot compared to 400 C9 bulbs and 3600 watts. Are you using the miniature lights for this? Then include the price of the solar panel. The price (right now) for C7 LED bulbs is @ $1.40 -$1.60 per bulb. I wonder how many years you'd have to use them to break even? I'm sure the bulbs will last if you use LED's. I just took the easy way out and bought new LED's. Very happy with them all around: Looks and energy savings...