Have been thinking about a SLR camera

whitebox

I am sorta a newb, but I have been reading up on the SLR's....

Could someone give me some feedback on a nice SLR that Nikon makes... I have been looking at the D-40 and D-60.

Thanks yall :buddies:

MrX

High Octane
I am sorta a newb, but I have been reading up on the SLR's....

Could someone give me some feedback on a nice SLR that Nikon makes... I have been looking at the D-40 and D-60.

Thanks yall :buddies:

The D40, D40x, and D60 would all be good DSLR models to begin with. They have nearly all of the features as the higher priced models, but are a little more newb friendly. I know there are a few folks on here that have D40s, and they all seem to be pretty happy with them.

May also want to check out Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

jbr13

www.jbr.smugmug.com
I am not sure what the D40 is running. I think it is going discontinued now as well. The D60 with the 18-55mm kit lens is about $699 at B&H Photo. I would suggest the D80 with the 18-55mm Kit lens B&H price is $749. The D80 is going discontinued as well, but much better I think than the D60. The D60 and D40 can only use the newer DX Nikon lense, where the D80 still has the drive screw for the older lenses. If you don't think you are going to get more older style lenses the D60 is a nice choice.

whitebox

I am not sure what the D40 is running. I think it is going discontinued now as well. The D60 with the 18-55mm kit lens is about $699 at B&H Photo. I would suggest the D80 with the 18-55mm Kit lens B&H price is $749. The D80 is going discontinued as well, but much better I think than the D60. The D60 and D40 can only use the newer DX Nikon lense, where the D80 still has the drive screw for the older lenses. If you don't think you are going to get more older style lenses the D60 is a nice choice.

Seems like your right on the discontinued part...

thanks for the heads up jbr... Would anyone suggest checking them out on ebay or def go with b&h ?

Thanks

MrX

High Octane
Seems like your right on the discontinued part...

thanks for the heads up jbr... Would anyone suggest checking them out on ebay or def go with b&h ?

Thanks

I would definitely stick with a reputable dealer like B&H, Adorama, etc. The problem with eBAY and other sellers is the increased potential to purchase "gray market" cameras. These were intended for sale in other countries, and while they are prefectly fine camera in most cases, they have no warranty as far as the mfg is concerned. Often times they are advertised in a misleading way, and are sold below the going price for camera intended for this country.

whitebox

I would definitely stick with a reputable dealer like B&H, Adorama, etc. The problem with eBAY and other sellers is the increased potential to purchase "gray market" cameras. These were intended for sale in other countries, and while they are prefectly fine camera in most cases, they have no warranty as far as the mfg is concerned. Often times they are advertised in a misleading way, and are sold below the going price for camera intended for this country.

NO totally makes sense...I didnt know though, what people thought about it. am not a big EBAY fan, but I know there are some legit sales out there etc..... thats about all

Not that you can't buy them at B&H.

MrX

High Octane
NO totally makes sense...I didnt know though, what people thought about it. am not a big EBAY fan, but I know there are some legit sales out there etc..... thats about all

There definitely some legit items on eBAY, its just hard to discern those from the rest.

whitebox

There definitely some legit items on eBAY, its just hard to discern those from the rest.

Ill make sure I look around. I have a friend selling a SLR Nikon, But I dont remember which model number. I will make sure when I find out, to post here and hopefully get some input !