Hay and bedding

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Just trying to get an idea of prices in the SoMD area...

What are yall paying for hay? Something like square bales, something like 40lb. orchard grass/timothy mix...nothing too fancy.

What are yall paying for bedding (like bulk sawdust)? What do you use and how long does it last you? Cost per horse? I saw a dumper-type truck on Rt 5 the other day which said "Free delivery of sawdust." I believe the name was Jarboe. Anyone use him?

Im not looking for exact numbers on that bedding... Ball park figrues are fine.

Thanks in advance! :howdy:

nutz

5-6 dollars a bale was last seasons average. Jarboe was charging 140.00 a load
cost per horse is a loaded question, roughly figure 100 bales per horse per year if pasture forage is available. 50 lbs. of grain (~$15.00), about 2 weeks. Any supplements are extra. Farrier without shoes, ~$30.00 a visit, with ~$60.00 for two shoes every 6-8 weeks Vet visit ~150.00 spring and fall shots Emergency vet visit :cds:

Now add for barn, tack, fence, seed, fertilizer, manure spreader, truck, trailer, tractor........How much do you want to spend? :buddies:

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Those of us who have horses know that when you have horses you are usually broke LOL

Goad Lumber charges $220 for a load of sawdust, a bit more if you are not in their immediate area.

I usually pay $5.00 a bale for Orchard hay. You can find great hay at the hay auction in Upper Marlboro.

Here is the link to the MD Hay Exchange

It is probably best to NOT add up all the expenses for having horses. It really adds up fast, and I sometimes ask myself exactly how did I ever think I could AFFORD to have horses? LOL

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Thank you both for the info. I've actually had horses for 17+ years, however for the past 5 or so I've been boarding them full-care. I've been out of the self-care game for so long I figured prices (especially hay) had gone up. I was honestly just trying to get a feel for prices IF I were to go back to self-care vs. what I am currently paying for full-care. Considering where I'm boarding now is a pretty sweet deal price-wise, I figured I'd ask around for cost estimates so I could weigh my options.

Thanks much! :howdy: