hay for sale

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
happyappygirl said:
And those that do cut and sell it are KEEPING it specifically for winter/late winter sales (verbatim according to some) hence more money.
Very sad state of affairs.

I've heard the exact statements from a couple of local hay growers.

SLIM

Pasofever said:
What part of "there is not much hay around" are you all not understanding..I have been here 20 yrs..and have always had to pay TOP DOLLAR in the winter..fact is not enough local farmers to support the local crazy ass horse peeps...

You learn 'em Paso :yay: I don't know of THAT many LOCALS who even sell hay. Even the Stauffer's have to buy from Pa. and other places especially in the winter. We just bought some hay at The Feed Mill for $8 a bale and that was the cheap stuff. My advice to anyone who needs hay and/or straw, there are certain times of the year when it gets cut and put up. The first cut should be within the next few weeks. They usually get three cuttings a year around here. So do the math and ASK the people you get your hay from about stocking up if you have the room. By the middle of the summer is when you should consider it if you have any idea how much you are using over the winter time. otherwise your gonna pay the price. Plan ahead. :howdy:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
SLIM said:
You learn 'em Paso :yay: I don't know of THAT many LOCALS who even sell hay. Even the Stauffer's have to buy from Pa. and other places especially in the winter. We just bought some hay at The Feed Mill for $8 a bale and that was the cheap stuff. My advice to anyone who needs hay and/or straw, there are certain times of the year when it gets cut and put up. The first cut should be within the next few weeks. They usually get three cuttings a year around here. So do the math and ASK the people you get your hay from about stocking up if you have the room. By the middle of the summer is when you should consider it if you have any idea how much you are using over the winter time. otherwise your gonna pay the price. Plan ahead. :howdy:

Wow $8 a bale is pretty high, especially if it was the cheap stuff. There are several local growers but my usual source isn't going to do as much this year. Guess I better start looking for more.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I did not pay over $5.50 per bale this last winter and got some GOOD hay...(I dont count the $10 bale heavy ass alfalfas as they dont count)