Headlights

happyazz

Skiing in the clouds
My Car comes stock with HIDs ill have my low beams on and get high beamed from people who think mine are on. So i turn mine on for real and they then realize i dont have mine on.
That doesn't make them safe for others on the road. Blind someone and they end up totaling your car, will you change your mind then?

Chris0nllyn

That doesn't make them safe for others on the road. Blind someone and they end up totaling your car, will you change your mind then?

If the car comes stock with them, they will only blind someone if that person is viewing from below the cutoff line (i.e. the car behind them is on a hill) which is set from the mfr and within all applicable regulations and laws.

I have HID and LED headlights but both my cars have projector housings.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If the car comes stock with them, they will only blind someone if that person is viewing from below the cutoff line (i.e. the car behind them is on a hill) which is set from the mfr and within all applicable regulations and laws.

I have HID and LED headlights but both my cars have projector housings.
When that vehicle is a truck, that's been lifted, it becomes a problem for others because as you said, they are now viewing from below.
There is a simple way to tell if the vehicle has it's highs on or if they have HD lights. If their running lights / fog lamps are on, and it's all factory installed, they don't have the high beam engaged. But people who DYI running lights can bypass that so it's not 100%

Chris0nllyn

When that vehicle is a truck, that's been lifted, it becomes a problem for others because as you said, they are now viewing from below.
There is a simple way to tell if the vehicle has it's highs on or if they have HD lights. If their running lights / fog lamps are on, and it's all factory installed, they don't have the high beam engaged. But people who DYI running lights can bypass that so it's not 100%

If someone modified the height of their vehicle, they should also re-aim the headlights.

See Chapter 3
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/humanfac/04148/04148.pdf

BernieP

Resident PIA
If someone modified the height of their vehicle, they should also re-aim the headlights.
If this was a state where there was a yearly vehicle inspection that would probably be true.
But you and I both know there are plenty of vehicles on the road that clearly are out of code.
I had to deal with a relatively new SUV this morning. Could tell you who or what was driving - other than an ******* - because the windows were so dark, ALL the windows. No light visible at all - black. BTW, Black Ford SUV. They apparently felt they owned the road by the way they changed lanes. That or they couldn't see the vehicles they were cutting off because their windows were too dark.

Chris0nllyn

If this was a state where there was a yearly vehicle inspection that would probably be true.
But you and I both know there are plenty of vehicles on the road that clearly are out of code.
I had to deal with a relatively new SUV this morning. Could tell you who or what was driving - other than an *** - because the windows were so dark, ALL the windows. No light visible at all - black. BTW, Black Ford SUV. They apparently felt they owned the road by the way they changed lanes. That or they couldn't see the vehicles they were cutting off because their windows were too dark.

Absolutely folks out there driving cars not suitable for road use. My old pickup I use for running trash to the dump and deer to the butcher would likely be included. :lol:

So you had a run in with unmarked police? :lol:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Absolutely folks out there driving cars not suitable for road use. My old pickup I use for running trash to the dump and deer to the butcher would likely be included. :lol:

So you had a run in with unmarked police? :lol:
:killingme Don;t know if it was popo but I hate when people make unsignaled lane changes when you are about two feet off their bumper and they decide to do that gentle slide over in front of you. Worse, the switch again, and decide at the light to do the same thing. I hate it when people decide to halve or less the stopping distance as you are braking. You go from gentle stop to full on slam on the brakes because they decide they need that piece of the road - again, that no signal, slow slide in front of you at the last minute.
So yes, literally almost ran into them..
No indication it was an umarked, typically you can see the lights in the grill or rear window when you are close. This was just some asshat with the all black look,.

Chris0nllyn

:killingme Don;t know if it was popo but I hate when people make unsignaled lane changes when you are about two feet off their bumper and they decide to do that gentle slide over in front of you. Worse, the switch again, and decide at the light to do the same thing. I hate it when people decide to halve or less the stopping distance as you are braking. You go from gentle stop to full on slam on the brakes because they decide they need that piece of the road - again, that no signal, slow slide in front of you at the last minute.
So yes, literally almost ran into them..
No indication it was an umarked, typically you can see the lights in the grill or rear window when you are close. This was just some asshat with the all black look,.

I work in an area full of people who apparently paid their way through driving school. Coupled with a police force seemingly uninterested in pulling people over for speeding, driving on the shoulder, using turn lanes to jump in front of people, unsafe driving, etc. I've seen it all...on a daily basis.

I'm really interested in a dash cam.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I work in an area full of people who apparently paid their way through driving school. Coupled with a police force seemingly uninterested in pulling people over for speeding, driving on the shoulder, using turn lanes to jump in front of people, unsafe driving, etc. I've seen it all...on a daily basis.

I'm really interested in a dash cam.

What I find interesting is the random stops (searches) for things like your license plate lights are dim - MSP actually followed me with is lights out to give me the notice my lights were dim. WTF, it's an older vehicle, do I need to go by a new light assembly and to replace the plastic?

That has to be one of the lamest. Family member got pulled over simply because of the time of day (oh dark thirty in the AM) and their attired (they were on their way to an athletic event and were wearing a hooded sweatshirt (because it was late October and rather cold at that time of day.
Wanted to search the car - for no reason. Request denied (child was aware of their rights).

BTW, not a person of color either. Just find it interesting when you have people doing real unsafe things they ignore it.

Goldenhawk

... Wanted to search the car - for no reason. Request denied (child was aware of their rights). ...
I typed up a little reminder to myself, laminated it, and put it with my driver's license in my wallet, in case such a situation ever arises for me. It says: "No, I'm sorry, Officer, but I believe I have a Constitutional right to respectfully decline to answer any questions other than identifying myself. If you obtain a warrant, then you would have the right to search my person or my vehicle, but otherwise, I must ask if I'm free to go about my business."

I hope I never need to use it. But I figured if I have it written out and it's respectful and brief and to the point, it shouldn't be something they could claim was suspicious in its own right.