Help. A LOUD boombox?

DQ2B

Anyone know what boombox or other portable system I could use for an outdoor arena (200 x 66 feet) that will allow me to hear the music that distance? It must either use a regular outlet or batteries. I tried to research the issue and came up with the Sony boombox (model number ending in 505). It had great reviews yet when I got it home today I am beyond frustrated in that I still cannot hear the music when I get more than about 70 or so feet towards the far end.

I know next to nothing about stereos or electronics for that matter and I don't want a sophisicated system that I won't know how to work nor can I afford something like that most likely. Does something simple yet workable exist out there?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
That's a large area.
You'll need an amplifier, a couple hundred feet of speaker wire to place a speaker at each end of the arena, a couple of fairly decent speakers that can handle the amp's output (in this case, 90 watts per channel) I'd look in a pawn shop or Vintage Values. Mount the speakers at the height of your head (if you're on a horse, your head while riding)
Then you'll need a sound source, most cheap DVD players will play music CDs, get one that will play MP3 file format and you can load up about 200 of your favorite songs on one CD

Aps has it right. You cannot put something like a boombox at one end of an arena and expect to hear it at the other end without deafening those near the sound source. You need to use speakers placed around the arena to disperse the sound. Any stereo receiver/amp should work.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
You cannot put something like a boombox at one end of an arena and expect to hear it at the other end without deafening those near the sound source.
Exactly. If you could crank it loud enough to be heard at the far end, everybody within the area would be gathered down there because it would be excruciating to stand anywhere near the boombox itself. :lol:

Also, once the area begins to fill with people, you would need to turn up the sound more than originally expected because of all those bodies blocking the sound.

Last edited:

DQ2B

That's a large area.
You'll need an amplifier, a couple hundred feet of speaker wire to place a speaker at each end of the arena, a couple of fairly decent speakers that can handle the amp's output (in this case, 90 watts per channel) I'd look in a pawn shop or Vintage Values. Mount the speakers at the height of your head (if you're on a horse, your head while riding)
Then you'll need a sound source, most cheap DVD players will play music CDs, get one that will play MP3 file format and you can load up about 200 of your favorite songs on one CD

Thanks a bunch. One more question if you can stand it. I found some outdoor speakers that can do the job and was told to use 16 gauge wire. I know how to wire the speakers but how do I wire them into the amp? And once their wired into the amp is that preety much permanent or can I "unplug" the speaker from the amp as needed for moving everything in, out an dto other venues? Sorry, I know this is probably the question of an imbecil but unless the stuff plugs into a regular outlet, I'm pretty much clueless.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Thanks a bunch. One more question if you can stand it. I found some outdoor speakers that can do the job and was told to use 16 gauge wire. I know how to wire the speakers but how do I wire them into the amp? And once their wired into the amp is that preety much permanent or can I "unplug" the speaker from the amp as needed for moving everything in, out an dto other venues? Sorry, I know this is probably the question of an imbecil but unless the stuff plugs into a regular outlet, I'm pretty much clueless.

It's usually some sort of spring loaded contact that you put the stripped wire into. Get an amplifier, READ THE DIRECTIONS and see if you can figure it out.

Rock_Chick

Anyone know what boombox or other portable system I could use for an outdoor arena (200 x 66 feet) that will allow me to hear the music that distance? It must either use a regular outlet or batteries. I tried to research the issue and came up with the Sony boombox (model number ending in 505). It had great reviews yet when I got it home today I am beyond frustrated in that I still cannot hear the music when I get more than about 70 or so feet towards the far end.

I know next to nothing about stereos or electronics for that matter and I don't want a sophisicated system that I won't know how to work nor can I afford something like that most likely. Does something simple yet workable exist out there?
Were you in HHGreg yesterday looking for one? :lol:

mattvivslivesou

www.meerkatsound.com
What are you trying to accomplish?

A Boom box or a Box Store stereo system will not cover a ~13k square foot room. You’ll need a Professional PA system.

PM or email me (mattviv AT meerkatsound DOT com), I own a Sound Reinforcement company and can design a system around your budget and goals.