HELP!!! Dog food...

lnmarsh

Love * Luck * Faith
Ok so Ive gone every route I can think of with my dog. I had him on Iams for a good long while (I know, BAD dog mommy! But hey, money got tight!) and then switched to the "5-Star" Blue Buffalo. He did great for like 3 months, and then started having problems. I did research and found out that BB is a BIG no no! So I tried "4-Health" from Tractor Supply; a friend recommended it. That was no good - constant runs, itching, ear gunk, etc. So we took him down to a brown rice diet for a week to get his system straight. Now we're giving him rice cooked with beef broth, green beans, cooked hamburger meat, fish oil, and a tiny bit of cheese. His coat is dulling, hes gaining weight (probably from all the starch in the rice), he seems to ALWAYS be hungry (started eating own poo... never done that before, so Im thinking its a mineral/vitamin deficiency or hes just plain hungry), and hes got the runs about 50% of the time. Uggg....

It seems like whatever we try isnt working! Through all the trail and error we've determined hes allergic to chicken, so cant feed that. Beef dog food runs right thru him. The only thing I havnt tried is a fish based food. I want to try Taste of the Wild Salmon, however its mighty expensive to have to throw away if it dosnt set well with him. Hes not acting sick, sluggish, etc. on the diet hes on now, and hes always had a sensative stomach. But this is just getting ridiculous... Any suggestions, as long as theyre politely made, will be more than welcome. I dont want to hear how Im a terrible dog owner and have no idea what Im doing and have no business owning an animal, please. Not only would it be untrue, but it would simply be unhelpful and insulting. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer! :howdy:

warneckutz

Wirelessly posted

Try some Taste of the Wild samples... My puppies love it and their fur and breath have improved. Pepper's Pet Pantry is a good place to start.

Have you taken him to the vet to determine exactly what is wrong. Similar problem with my dog and found out it was grain. My dog is on Avoderm and it works great. Pepper's in Solomons is great, they have samples and know what works. But it would be good to take your dog to the vet to make sure it isn't another problem.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Ok so Ive gone every route I can think of with my dog. I had him on Iams for a good long while (I know, BAD dog mommy! But hey, money got tight!) and then switched to the "5-Star" Blue Buffalo. He did great for like 3 months, and then started having problems. I did research and found out that BB is a BIG no no! So I tried "4-Health" from Tractor Supply; a friend recommended it. That was no good - constant runs, itching, ear gunk, etc. So we took him down to a brown rice diet for a week to get his system straight. Now we're giving him rice cooked with beef broth, green beans, cooked hamburger meat, fish oil, and a tiny bit of cheese. His coat is dulling, hes gaining weight (probably from all the starch in the rice), he seems to ALWAYS be hungry (started eating own poo... never done that before, so Im thinking its a mineral/vitamin deficiency or hes just plain hungry), and hes got the runs about 50% of the time. Uggg....

It seems like whatever we try isnt working! Through all the trail and error we've determined hes allergic to chicken, so cant feed that. Beef dog food runs right thru him. The only thing I havnt tried is a fish based food. I want to try Taste of the Wild Salmon, however its mighty expensive to have to throw away if it dosnt set well with him. Hes not acting sick, sluggish, etc. on the diet hes on now, and hes always had a sensative stomach. But this is just getting ridiculous... Any suggestions, as long as theyre politely made, will be more than welcome. I dont want to hear how Im a terrible dog owner and have no idea what Im doing and have no business owning an animal, please. Not only would it be untrue, but it would simply be unhelpful and insulting. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer! :howdy:

Get to the Vet and start from there. You are NOT a terrible dog owner.
But you are not a Vet, so stop guessing and get a Vet. appointment!!!

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Our dog only eats dry (cheap) cat food.

We've tried the fancy for him and the not so fancy.

He will only eat the cheap cat food...and any table scraps he is given.

:shrug:

Tig08

I've had the same problem with my dog. I now have her own Natural Balance LDI Sweet pot. and fish. Shes not had any stomach problems with this food.I tried the LID with sweet pot. and chicken and the stomach problems came back. So we are back to the S.P. and Fish. Good luck with your dog!

smts

I've had the same problem with my dog. I now have her own Natural Balance LDI Sweet pot. and fish. Shes not had any stomach problems with this food.I tried the LID with sweet pot. and chicken and the stomach problems came back. So we are back to the S.P. and Fish. Good luck with your dog!

My vet also recommended this brand. My sheepdog has extremely sensitive skin and this seemed to help him. He is a somewhat picky eater and still eats this one. After I got my 2 puppies, I switched him to ProPlan (which is what the vet recommended for my new pups) and seems like his skin issues are back, including raging ear infection.

Now if anyone has a tip on getting mine to take his antibiotics, I'd love some advice. He was taking them with cheese, swallowing them whole. This morning he started spitting it back out, cheese and all. When I tried just opening his mouth a pushing it down the back of his throat with the cheese, he threw it back up....?...?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
My vet also recommended this brand. My sheepdog has extremely sensitive skin and this seemed to help him. He is a somewhat picky eater and still eats this one. After I got my 2 puppies, I switched him to ProPlan (which is what the vet recommended for my new pups) and seems like his skin issues are back, including raging ear infection.

Now if anyone has a tip on getting mine to take his antibiotics, I'd love some advice. He was taking them with cheese, swallowing them whole. This morning he started spitting it back out, cheese and all. When I tried just opening his mouth a pushing it down the back of his throat with the cheese, he threw it back up....?...?

pill pockets!!! :yahoo:

... what about small amout of can food and shovin them in that?

idiganthro

Have you tried Beaver Dam foods? You can get them at Peppers, or a little cheaper at Stauffer's Feed Mill. I think they have a grain free variety as well, though I don't use that one. The type we feed our dog is wheat/corn and soy free. It has chicken meal, though, and I don't know if that will bother your dog's tummy. I know how expensive the vet is- trust me it makes me cringe as well. Still, it may be your best bet to solve the mystery. The Well Pet Clinic in Lex Park is much less expensive. I use them for routine shots/minor stuff and the regular vet for more complicated issues.

RPMDAD

For the pills try liverwurst (sp) works for our kiddoes after they learned the cheese trick, or like ICit said try the pill pockets, haven't tried them myself yet.

frequentflier

happy to be living

If you are in Chesapeake Beach, go to the Lucky Duck- she probably has samples of Taste of The Wild. It's closer than coming down to Solomons!

foodforthought

I'm still looking for a truly good food myself for my two labs, did some research on dog food advisor, and found that the BJ's brand of holistic food is 4 stars, they like it, it does well with their stomachs, but they seem to be hungry ALL the time now!! It seems as if I am not getting them full at meal time, I'm even giving more than recommended by the vet.