Help me identify this!

tastycake

Went shark tooth hunting yesterday evening near Drift Inn and found the attached. It's a mystery as to what it is, no one I know has ever seen this before. Any ideas?

fossil tooth.jpg

somdshootnet

Has to be a land dweller, fish don't have teeth like around Southern Maryland. Probably in the cow / deer clan.

tastycake

Has to be a land dweller, fish don't have teeth like around Southern Maryland. Probably in the cow / deer clan.

I have sent the picture to the Calvert Marine Museum. They were pretty interested in it due to it having 5 roots. They asked for clearer pictures whic I am trying to get but a very, very preliminary guess was perhaps an extinct sea cow. My luck it's probably some deer tooth from an animal that died two years ago!

somdshootnet

I have sent the picture to the Calvert Marine Museum. They were pretty interested in it due to it having 5 roots. They asked for clearer pictures whic I am trying to get but a very, very preliminary guess was perhaps an extinct sea cow. My luck it's probably some deer tooth from an animal that died two years ago!

Not a chance, it's old whatever it is, the color alone tells us that. the 5th root really doesn't mean much though, it is very possible that's just a "sticker" some folks have had teeth pulled with 5th roots.

There's millions of sharks teeth to be had here on the Potomac banks in Indian Head, but, I never seen nothing like that before here.

Spring10

I found one like that, not as nice as your's though, at Flag Ponds about 4 years ago. Someone else was out looking for for fossils too and looked at it and said it was a boars, (pecury-not sure of the spelling) molar and very rare. The guy seemed very knowledgeable but I've never verified it.

tastycake

I found one like that, not as nice as your's though, at Flag Ponds about 4 years ago. Someone else was out looking for for fossils too and looked at it and said it was a boars, (pecury-not sure of the spelling) molar and very rare. The guy seemed very knowledgeable but I've never verified it.

I sent some clearer pictures to the Museum but haven't heard back. Thank you all for your input, it is kind of exciting! I'll post the results once I hear back.

Attachments

• Fossil tooth 001.jpg
    Fossil tooth 001.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Fossil tooth 002.jpg
    Fossil tooth 002.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Fossil tooth 003.jpg
    Fossil tooth 003.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Fossil tooth 004.jpg
    Fossil tooth 004.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Fossil tooth 005.jpg
    Fossil tooth 005.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 94

tastycake

Well the identification is in, directly from two sources at the Smithsonian (I'm serious!). It's a pig tooth from the colonial era....... There goes my retirement. It does make for a fun story though! I get a couple hundred year old tooth is better than nothing..... maybe.

Cowgirl

Well the identification is in, directly from two sources at the Smithsonian (I'm serious!). It's a pig tooth from the colonial era....... There goes my retirement. It does make for a fun story though! I get a couple hundred year old tooth is better than nothing..... maybe.

That's awesome!!!

Sparx

Did they say how it was preserved for so long? It can't be petrified in that amount of time. Can it?

tastycake

Did they say how it was preserved for so long? It can't be petrified in that amount of time. Can it?

From what I gather, the Calvert Museum guy was thrown off by the color. I guess it had been in the water long enough to turn it that black color that he thought indicated it was from the Miocene era.