Help Needed

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
A neighbor of mine is in need of a good lawyer in the Charles County area. The circumstances are that she is a stay at home mother of three small children. Her husband has been mentally and physically abusive. She recently got a protective order and had him removed from the home. I am familiar with family law in NC, but not so much Maryland. Can anyone direct me to some info on the laws concerning divorce and equitable distribution. Also, is there an agency that does pro-bono work?

Thanks

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
She should either call Catholic Charities 301-870-5308 or House of Ruth in Baltimore 410-889-0840.

Both provide emergency shelter and legal referrals. If neither of these organizations can help her, they'll be able to tell her who can.

Good luck to her and :huggy: for getting out of her ugly situation.

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
vraiblonde said:
Good luck to her and :huggy: for getting out of her ugly situation.

and good luck with the restraining order doing anything other than pi$$ing him off. :yay:

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
AC/DC said:
and good luck with the restraining order doing anything other than pi$$ing him off. :yay:
I second that statement...seems that down in these parts, getting a restraining order amounts to sending an invitation to your soon-to-be-ex to come and murder you. That way the authorities can charge you with violating the restaining order on top of the murder charge......

:whack:

danceintherain

Center for Abused Persons - 24 hrs- Waldorf 301-645-2487
Center for Children - LaPlata - 301-609-9887 or 301-753-4002 or 301-884-0767

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Voter2002 said:
I second that statement...seems that down in these parts, getting a restraining order amounts to sending an invitation to your soon-to-be-ex to come and murder you. That way the authorities can charge you with violating the restaining order on top of the murder charge......

:whack:
that's encouraging... :ohwell:

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
AC/DC said:
It's really true though.....I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
i agree- but i think it's still better to have a restraining order in place, than not
At least that way, she's doing everything she can legally.

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
pvineswinger said:
i agree- but i think it's still better to have a restraining order in place, than not
At least that way, she's doing everything she can legally.

Agreed......but I think more should be done to ensure the woman's safety.

A high voltage collar around his neck that lights him up when he get too close to the bracelet that she's wearing would do the trick!!

AC/DC

Lord, I apologize.
BuddyLee said:
If there's one thing I hate it's this. If I were more buff I'd kick his ass myself.:burning: lol

Then get off your ass, pick up a weight and do something about it. :duh:

somdcrab

carolinagirl said:
A neighbor of mine is in need of a good lawyer in the Charles County area. The circumstances are that she is a stay at home mother of three small children. Her husband has been mentally and physically abusive. She recently got a protective order and had him removed from the home. I am familiar with family law in NC, but not so much Maryland. Can anyone direct me to some info on the laws concerning divorce and equitable distribution. Also, is there an agency that does pro-bono work?

Thanks
tell her to call Three Oaks Center in lexington park ask for Jean Harman (this will have to be monday she doesnt work weekends unless emergency) ph # 301 863 9535 if Ms. Harman is not available explain the problem, they just hired a young lady who does pro bono domestic violence work e.g. referrals counseling, shelter protective orders etc, tell her to be honest and persistent, the ladies who work there are very experienced in this field, hope this helps

TWLs wife

carolinagirl said:

Thanks
You need to find the number for the Womens center there in Charles Country, The will help with everything she needs help with. They helped save me from my Ex.

Elle

Happy Camper!
TWL's wife said:
You need to find the number for the Womens center there in Charles Country, The will help with everything she needs help with. They helped save me from my Ex.
I thought TWL did that:confused: