Help Needed

likitysplit

carolinagirl said:
A neighbor of mine is in need of a good lawyer in the Charles County area. The circumstances are that she is a stay at home mother of three small children. Her husband has been mentally and physically abusive. She recently got a protective order and had him removed from the home. I am familiar with family law in NC, but not so much Maryland. Can anyone direct me to some info on the laws concerning divorce and equitable distribution. Also, is there an agency that does pro-bono work?

Thanks

Scott Bowling - La Plata

Very good attorney, very!!!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
For Maryland Code I find this site useful http://198.187.128.12/maryland/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0

Domestic violence is a crime and is grounds for an absolute divorce (if no chance of reconcilliation). There is the Legal Aide Bureau in Hughesville - 301-843-5850 or 301-932-6661, never used them but they are a source available, not sure if it's pro-bono or not. Many times legal expenses in these type cases become the burden of the abusive spouse. I wish your friend good fortune and she should really take precautions and care as things usually get worse before they get better. Does she have family or friends nearby that can help her out?

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Thanks to all who provided info and encouragement. I am working with her to contact some of these referrals. I have also encouraged her to change the locks and warned her that there will be an out-pouring of anger after this weeks hearing, I am sure.

somdcrab

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:
carolinagirl said:
Thanks to all who provided info and encouragement. I am working with her to contact some of these referrals. I have also encouraged her to change the locks and warned her that there will be an out-pouring of anger after this weeks hearing, I am sure.