Hogan-Jealous Debate

Salmon

Well, yes and no. About 4 Counties are reliably Blue (Montgomery, Prince George's, Howard [to an extent], Charles [now, but Democrats from there historically ranged from conservative to a bit to the right of Attila the Hun] and Baltimore City. The rest range from purple to deep Red.

The trepidation over his "progressive" stances is the cost. You can give free #### out all day but somebody has to pay for it in the end. And typically people receiving the free #### don't or pay very little.

The wealthy in this state own businesses, vacation homes, yachts, etc. They can afford to pay more for the betterment of everyone.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The wealthy in this state own businesses, vacation homes, yachts, etc. They can afford to pay more for the betterment of everyone.

What on earth???? Where do you come up with this crap? Just because you and your kind failed at life, you think that gives you the "right" to confiscate wealth from those more successful??

Salmon

What on earth???? Where do you come up with this crap? Just because you and your kind failed at life, you think that gives you the "right" to confiscate wealth from those more successful??

The rich hogs all the resources making it impossible for others to get ahead.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

You poor deluded bastard...you are worse off than even I thought. That's not it works..that's not how any of it works.

You are just kidding right? Nobody can be that stupid for real.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
You poor deluded bastard...you are worse off than even I thought. That's not it works..that's not how any of it works.

You are just kidding right? Nobody can be that stupid for real.

Never be surprised at how dumb your fellow citizens can be. That ranges across the political spectrum.

I once said, many years ago, that we in Calvert couldn't elect anyone dumber as a County Commissioner than we did one year (hint: well known south County name). I was wrong. Four years ago we elected two who are dumber.

22AcaciaAve

I can’t believe anyone buys the BS spewed by Hogie. Maryland is a blue state and Jealous is a true progressive. I don’t see the trepidation about him.

Maryland is a blue state only in the respect that it is majority democrat by registration. It is not blue in the way you believe. It is not blue in being a far left progressive state. There are many people registered as democrats who are willing to cross over given a republican candidate who is not far right wing. That has been proven by the election of Bob Ehrlich and Larry Hogan. Jealous is a true progressive in the fact that he believes in offering free stuff for many knowing that the only way he can pay for it is through taxes and wealth redistribution. Even many of his fellow democrats have given him only luke warm support. They know the backlash from his policies could undermine the domination they have built up through the years and boomerang back on them. He can't even get the support of Peter Franchot who is a well respected democrat. Jealous might close some of the gap, but he will lose by more than any other democrat running for governor since McKeldin won as a republican in 1950 and 1954. The more astute political democrats like Miller and Busch know this. That's why they have been largely silent during this entire race.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Maryland is a blue state only in the respect that it is majority democrat by registration. It is not blue in the way you believe. It is not blue in being a far left progressive state. There are many people registered as democrats who are willing to cross over given a republican candidate who is not far right wing. That has been proven by the election of Bob Ehrlich and Larry Hogan. Jealous is a true progressive in the fact that he believes in offering free stuff for many knowing that the only way he can pay for it is through taxes and wealth redistribution. Even many of his fellow democrats have given him only luke warm support. They know the backlash from his policies could undermine the domination they have built up through the years and boomerang back on them. He can't even get the support of Peter Franchot who is a well respected democrat. Jealous might close some of the gap, but he will lose by more than any other democrat running for governor since McKeldin won as a republican in 1950 and 1954. The more astute political democrats like Miller and Busch know this. That's why they have been largely silent during this entire race.

What about the gerrymandering? That is what puts states like MD in jeopardy, and is a new factor in the crap of it all.

Last edited:

Kinnakeet

SO YOU THINK SOMEONE THAT HAS A LOT OF MONEY DO TO THE FACT THEY WORKED FOR IT SHOULD GIVE IT TO FREE LOADING BUMS??? PUT DOWN THE BONG GET OUT OF YOUR PARENTS BASEMENT AND GET A JOB.:patriot::patriot::patriot:

Kinnakeet

No they dont they went to school and learned something and then probably not prolly went to college and now make big money thats usually how it works they made something of themselves they did not sit around and wait for handouts as I assume you are hoping for yourself:patriot::patriot::

22AcaciaAve

What about the gerrymandering? That is what puts states like MD in jeopardy, and is a new factor in the crap of it all.

Yes it does. Maryland is one of the most gerrymandered states in the country. It would still be majority dem, but the congressional makeup would be a little bit more even if districts weren't divided up to take slices from the big three democrat population centers and include just enough of them in with the predominantly republican leaning areas. The worst case I've ever seen was how O'Malley cut just a big enough slice out of Montgomery country to beat Roscoe Bartlett and claim the Western Maryland area. Drive up there during election season. You will see very few signs for any democrats up there. Hogan pushed for an independent commission to handle re-redistricting, but the democratic GA killed it. Probably because they believed he was a one term aberration that would be beaten in 2018. Watch how quickly they will try to resurrect that legislation now that Hogan will get the chance to redraw the lines.

22AcaciaAve

I can’t believe anyone buys the BS spewed by Hogie. Maryland is a blue state and Jealous is a true progressive. I don’t see the trepidation about him.

Latest Washington Post / University of Maryland poll has Hogan leading by 20%. His 58% is basically unheard of for any statewide republican. The working people of this state obviously aren't buying Jealous' message about free just about everything.

With less than a month until Election Day, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan has built a formidable lead over Democratic challenger Ben Jealous, a new Washington Post-University of Maryland poll finds, with few voters undecided and most preferring the incumbent Republican even on key Jealous issues such as health care and education.

Likely voters in Maryland support Hogan by a 20-point margin, 58 percent to 38 percent. Just 5 percent have not settled on a candidate.

“If [Jealous] hasn’t gotten through just yet, I don’t see how there’s much room at this point” for him to do it in the next month, said Michael Hanmer, research director for the Center for American Politics and Citizenship at the University of Maryland. “The level of support for Hogan, even among registered Democrats, is extremely high.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.09e8e31ce15b

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

And yet they don't. They hide their money in shelters and foundations, and break the backs of the middle class.

Let me ask you a question:

Democrat stalwart and ardent Trump hater Jeff Bezos: he is the richest man in America, and yet his employees had to take it to the media to shame him into paying them $15/hr. He has a personal income larger than many countries, and yet he doesn't share his wealth.

The Clintons do not share their wealth.

Super rich Hollywood celebrities could skip one pedicure a month and feed a whole family. They could give up one of their mansions and buy 100 poor families a nice home.

These people could live modestly and improve the lives of an awful lot of people.

So why do you suppose they don't?

glhs837

Power with Control
The most recent Mason Dixon poll done after the debate has Hogan's lead cut from 22% to 15%. Seven points in 2 days. Tell me again how Jealous can't win. Negative 2%/week from now until Nov. 6 puts Jealous in Annapolis.

Before any of you crucify me I wouldn't vote for Jealous if he was the only one running, just saying that Hogan isn't the shoo-in some of you think.

Not sure that 2% loss per week is realistic, or how well the Goucher and Mason-Dixon results relate to each other, but who knows. Anythings possible.

So the most recent numbers I saw were up 18% and 20%, so that 2% slide seems to not be a thing :) Maybe Todd can update his blog post or pop in here t analyze it.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
And yet they don't. They hide their money in shelters and foundations, and break the backs of the middle class.

Let me ask you a question:

Democrat stalwart and ardent Trump hater Jeff Bezos: he is the richest man in America, and yet his employees had to take it to the media to shame him into paying them $15/hr. He has a personal income larger than many countries, and yet he doesn't share his wealth.

The Clintons do not share their wealth.

Super rich Hollywood celebrities could skip one pedicure a month and feed a whole family. They could give up one of their mansions and buy 100 poor families a nice home.

These people could live modestly and improve the lives of an awful lot of people.

So why do you suppose they don't?

Whaaaaaaaaaat???? Are you saying all these loving, caring, moralistic democrats aren't "paying their fair share!" as they so often advocate? I'm shocked! :yikes:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm really surprised how "everybody" gives Jealous such high marks on education and reducing the "achievement gap" as he calls it. Plus laying the blame for Balt City schools not having air conditioning at Hogan's feet is pure B.S.

Because if they say it, people will believe it. It's a basically playing a race card. What and where has Jealous accomplished anything? Spending more money has never helped the schools in Baltimore and PG county. Not as long as the local politicians have their paws on the loot.

mdff21

Because if they say it, people will believe it. It's a basically playing a race card. What and where has Jealous accomplished anything? Spending more money has never helped the schools in Baltimore and PG county. Not as long as the local politicians have their paws on the loot.

Jealous saved the NAACP.