Hoof Boots

horsesrock93

Chevy Is Da BOMB!!!!
I use the Easy Boots on my arab and they seem to work. If you dont get the ones with the gaters they will NOT stay on... When SMTR went to Hancock i used them and went through water and they stayed on pritty well. I also would recomend putting vet rap where the gater goes because the movement of the hoof will rub the fur off.. other than that i would use them...

Any of you guys use hoof boots on a barefoot horse? What brands do you prefer?

Thanks. :howdy:

ElliesMom

My friend and I prefer horse booties to traditional shoes.

The wear and tear on the hoof from shoing can drastically change the makeup of a horses hoof.

Keep in mind we trail ride mostly, we dont show or jump or do endurance, but from what I have heard they are a fav of endurance riders too.

I like Old Macs!!!

old_macs_g2

There are so many options, my mare ended up in Boa boots, my friend "A" has old macs originals, and one other kind easy boots as well, so between the 2 of us we have 3 different types of Old Macs that we are simply thrilled with.

I have never had a problem with my Boas rubbing fur off either.

Measure after a fresh trim (measuring guide on the page) and go for the boot with the closest measurements.

Sparks

I was looking at the G2's. I think Jeffers has them on sale right now. I traced the Feet last night to figure the size.

DQ2B

Oh boy, have I got experience on this issue. Where to begin...

Boa's are one favorite. Pros: one of the easiest to put on and take off, stay on well even in muddy conditions, traction seems to be good, easy to care for and keep clean. Cons: expensive (but so are the others), caps have been known to come off so if you go with these buy extra caps, boots come up over the coronary band which in turn, can cause rubbing or bruising if not careful to not over-tighten boots, a bit clunky and sometimes horses trip while getting used to them.
Note: you will need to drill drainage holes in the Boas.

Regular Easy Boot not a particular favorite. They are cheaper but a pain to put on, sometimes need adjustments made to the boot, i.e. cutting the back portion down and removing inside grips. Don't stay on well even with vetwrap over the hoof. They're okay in a pinch or if just riding on rocky terrain or for a lesson but I wouldn't trust them in mud/water and such.

Epics another favorite. Pros: with proper fit, they stay on very well, no coronary band issues since the boot does not come in contact, these boots work well for all kinds of terrain and can stay on all day long, good traction, easy to care for. Cons: A pain to put on/off sometimes (certainly takes more time than the Boas), might need to replace gators if velcro gets really dirty.

EasyBoot Bares These have a good theory behind them but from what I understand they are very difficult to fit and put on. The Epics are just so much better/easier if you want the same performance.

Renegades I haven't tried these yet as they are fairly new on the market but if they come out with a larger size to fit my big guy I will definitely give these boots a try, they look very promising.

In my opinion, I wouldn't bother with the Old Macs or Cavello. The velco gets really nasty and eventually just won't stay closed unless you only plan on using them on dry land. They are very clunky too.

Hope this helps!

Sparks

Wow. Thanks DQ. Good info. I really only wanted them for turnout but if I can ride in them, that's great too.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Great info
I have a set of Boa's and they are the easiest boot to put on. But as you say they will rub the coranary area and cause bruising. They also can gather small stones if you ride in river bottoms etc.
I also like the style of the renegades they seem to prevent the rubbing and the dirt and stones from getting into the boot. Just haven't had the chance to see them in action...I have used the easy boot as an emergency backup when I lost a shoe mountain riding. They can be a pain to put on.... Most of the boots I have seen used cause rubbing and or gravel to get into boot. Anything with velcro it on will wear out fast too.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Darn. I could just glue on some shoes for those prices. Ouch.

I called the Co. Easy Care and they suggested the Old Mac G2 over the boa for turn-out. It has a deeper tread for the grass. She asked if I'd be riding more than 25 miles at a time :faint: Now that would solve my problem all together, horse would keel over.......

Haha, well, my farrier suggests Old Mac boots and I love my farrier so I'd give them a shot.

Sparks

Is Sparks still having trouble with his feet?

Well, sort of. Lost 3 front shoes in two weeks. After that, I called the farrier and said come on out here and pull the one that's left, I can't afford your weekly visits. So now we're trying barefoot. He's quite sore. I've been wrapping his front feet for T/O and I've ordered something called equicast to try.

If he just can't handle barefoot, I may have to go with glue-on shoes for while $$$$. Maybe I shouldn't have switched farriers. :doh:

His feet looked great with the new guy but doesn't matter if he keeps yanking them off. He steps up with the hind and pulls them.

Last edited:

DQ2B

Well, sort of. Lost 3 front shoes in two weeks. After that, I called the farrier and said come on out here and pull the one that's left, I can't afford your weekly visits. So now we're trying barefoot. He's quite sore. I've been wrapping his front feet for T/O and I've ordered something called equicast to try.

If he just can't handle barefoot, I may have to go with glue-on shoes for while $$$$. Maybe I shouldn't have switched farriers. :doh:

His feet looked great with the new guy but doesn't matter if he keeps yanking them off. He steps up with the hind and pulls them.

Do you happen to have any photos? Is your current farrier trimming so that all flares are removed from at least 1/3 up the wall, not rasping across the toe callous or removing live sole, bringing the toe back sufficiently and making sure there is no stretched white line among other things? Does your horse have very flat soles, contracted/underrun heels, deep central sulcus, etc,? Transitioning to barefoot can be very frustrating and may depend not just on time but also on lifestyle.

Sparks

Do you happen to have any photos? Is your current farrier trimming so that all flares are removed from at least 1/3 up the wall, not rasping across the toe callous or removing live sole, bringing the toe back sufficiently and making sure there is no stretched white line among other things? Does your horse have very flat soles, contracted/underrun heels, deep central sulcus, etc,? Transitioning to barefoot can be very frustrating and may depend not just on time but also on lifestyle.

I've always wanted to try barefoot with this horse, he is pretty flat soled right now. He also has a small bruise on the inside RF. I think it would do him good to let him grow out a better hoof but I don't want him limping around for months on end. If he's not showing some improvement in a few weeks, I'll do the glue ons.

DQ2B

I've always wanted to try barefoot with this horse, he is pretty flat soled right now. He also has a small bruise on the inside RF. I think it would do him good to let him grow out a better hoof but I don't want him limping around for months on end. If he's not showing some improvement in a few weeks, I'll do the glue ons.

The boots should give him relief for the moment. It can however, take a year for the hoof wall to grow from coronary band to ground if you are looking for him to "grow a better hoof." Not to mention all the changes that take place on the inside. My boarders horse who is about 22 years old and was diagnosed with navicular eons ago has now been barefoot for one year and she is still "growing" a better hoof.

Sparks

The boots should give him relief for the moment. It can however, take a year for the hoof wall to grow from coronary band to ground if you are looking for him to "grow a better hoof." Not to mention all the changes that take place on the inside. My boarders horse who is about 22 years old and was diagnosed with navicular eons ago has now been barefoot for one year and she is still "growing" a better hoof.

I know it's a long process. From what I've read, you should give them a 30-90 day transition period. I'm not a very patient person so I can sort of see glue ons in his future.

mingiz

Horse Poor
My mare has small feet and she hasn't had shoes on for 3 months and still tippy toes around on gravel. I use boots on her fronts for rides.It will take a long time for them to adjust. I have always had shoes on her since I've owned her. Her main problem now is growth.My ex farrier took more off than he should have and she doesn't have a foot to hold a shoe on. hoof wall and white line very close. I've been using venice of turpentine on her soles and a hoof dressing on the coranary area. I also put her on hoof supplements to help her out some. She hasn't been on them long enough to show any change. This is the wrong time of the year for growth with all the stomping they do in fly season..Damn if ya do damn if ya don't :whistle:

ElliesMom

She asked if I'd be riding more than 25 miles at a time Now that would solve my problem all together, horse would keel over.......

:jameo::nono: mmmmm my butt would be broken!

devinej

hey sparks, i've had the same problem with my horse this summer. i've had him in the "equine slipper" because he won't keep anything else on. its canvas with a leather bottom which molds to the shape of the hoof. they do wear out, but they stay on. (he has destroyed even easy boot epic). they do well wet or dry, close with velcro around the pastern, coronet band is fine. excellent for turnout, especially if its not 24 hour turnout and you take them off in the stall. you want to size it a little on the large side or else they will wear out the stitching that holds the leather to the canvas.