Hoof Boots

Sparks

hey sparks, i've had the same problem with my horse this summer. i've had him in the "equine slipper" because he won't keep anything else on. its canvas with a leather bottom which molds to the shape of the hoof. they do wear out, but they stay on. (he has destroyed even easy boot epic). they do well wet or dry, close with velcro around the pastern, coronet band is fine. excellent for turnout, especially if its not 24 hour turnout and you take them off in the stall. you want to size it a little on the large side or else they will wear out the stitching that holds the leather to the canvas.

Your slipper look similar to the hoof wrap, (the wrap is cheaper tho')
Hoof Wraps

Now I'm leaning toward the boa boot - I'll probably just go ahead and order that today.

fredsaid2

Here's a site I stumbled across a while back...

whatboot

I thought the Boa's looked like a workable option for me but I haven't purchased them yet. Loveville Leather has some in stock, I think Macs too.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Loveville does have the boa's,old macs and easy boots. Expensive just to try..I borrowed a pair to try but haven't decided if thier worth it. I have Boa's and they have rubbed and cause bruising at the coranary band. Plus not the best trail boot as far as water crossing where gravel and small rocks get in them. They need better drainage. That's were the renegades look like they would be a better trail boot. More open than the others.

here is a link on using them..I like the low cut in front and the open mesh back. Looks like it would flex with the foot more freely..

Installing Renegade Hoof Boots

Last edited:

Sparks

I'm so indecisive........... but I just ordered the old macs from Jeffers. They come with a free gaitor which I'm guessing is to prevent rubs. They and the Boas were on sale but the sizing worked better for him with the old macs.

DQ2B

I have Boa's and they have rubbed and cause bruising at the coranary band. Plus not the best trail boot as far as water crossing where gravel and small rocks get in them. They need better drainage.

See my first post, you have drill drainage holes in the Boas. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they don't come with them already drilled.

mingiz

Horse Poor
I was on the Chronical of the horse forums and found this link... You would think that the builders of these boots(Boas Etc.) would put drainage holes in them. If there for cross country and trail riding I'm sure there is water to cross some where along the way...:killingme
Here is anothe link for the renegades....
Renegade Hoof Boots

They have glue ons also....

Last edited:

devinej

hmm those renegades are interesting. but i feel like my horse would destroy them too. i like those hoof wraps though...gonna check that out.