Hornets Football

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
First I want to say that I love GMHS and I love football. Why is it that they just don't go together? I refuse to believe that the boys have no talent...I know some of them have been playing for years. Granted you can play for years and not be any good, but that is not the case. I am leaning towards the coaching staff...but that just may be me. Anybody have any opinions on the team/staff?

meangirl

Nice lady!
First I want to say that I love GMHS and I love football. Why is it that they just don't go together? I refuse to believe that the boys have no talent...I know some of them have been playing for years. Granted you can play for years and not be any good, but that is not the case. I am leaning towards the coaching staff...but that just may be me. Anybody have any opinions on the team/staff?

I have no idea about GMHS but I firmly believe it is always the coaching staff. :yay:

dolemite

GMHS hasn't been anything since my class left in 97. 96 was the last winning season when we went 8-2:yay:

smilin

BOXER NATION
Interesting. What has changed since then? I've heard all kinds of excuses from "the best players are all walking around the street because they can't make the GPA to play", the kids aren't interested in playing for a losing school, the coaching stinks and the kids are studying more and playing less etc.
I do know that there is a dedicated set of newer coaches that are working with their kids starting in the ninth grade.
Went to the Leonardtown / GMHS game, it's got to get better, I don't see how it can get worse.

big_poppa

Well I played from 96 to 99, graduated in 00. I can say with certainty that the demise came when Hoop gave it up. Greer came in and it has not been the same since. No doubt about it. The talent is there, but my sons pee wee team is ran smoother (I coach the D, yipppeee) than GMHS football.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Well I played from 96 to 99, graduated in 00. I can say with certainty that the demise came when Hoop gave it up. Greer came in and it has not been the same since. No doubt about it. The talent is there, but my sons pee wee team is ran smoother (I coach the D, yipppeee) than GMHS football.

He has boys quiting on a daily basis. This past week he told the ones that were leaving...You will never play for GMs again! Question is--who want's to? I know the boys are unhappy playing for him...

smilin

BOXER NATION
Didn't Leonardtown have the same problem? I stay out of locker room politics, but I heard through the grapevine the new coach is much better than the old one. Two years ago we went to the LHS/GMHS game in Leonardtown and the varsity had all of 28 players - I couldn't believe it.
I must admit that I didn't want to be the first to say it, but I started thinking that kiddie football was better organized and coached than what I saw Friday at the game.
My HS had a pretty poor excuse for a football program yet we all tried out for it and were proud of it.

big_poppa

I can honestly recall the last game of my junior year we dressed 18 guys for the Varsity game. That was ridiculous, and it hasn't gotten any better.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Feeder programs

I can honestly recall the last game of my junior year we dressed 18 guys for the Varsity game. That was ridiculous, and it hasn't gotten any better.

18? Boy you must have been beat up by the end of that game!
I thought there was a new Head football coach by the name of Griffin who was concentrating on bringing football back at GMHS?
Do you think having the Freshman team as a feeder will help the team? I was disappointed when I found out that the St.Marys coaches don't use the local kiddie leagues as a feeder and training resource for their HS programs. It seems logical as I've heard the Calvert teams have been doing it for years.

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
18? Boy you must have been beat up by the end of that game!
I thought there was a new Head football coach by the name of Griffin who was concentrating on bringing football back at GMHS?
Do you think having the Freshman team as a feeder will help the team? I was disappointed when I found out that the St.Marys coaches don't use the local kiddie leagues as a feeder and training resource for their HS programs. It seems logical as I've heard the Calvert teams have been doing it for years.

Griffin is the head coach but I don't see much being done. This past Fridays game they had hardly any players on the sidelines during the game. I don't know about using the kiddies as feeders...I just saw some kids that have been playing for years quit because they weren't getting any play time. (3 downs 4 games) Kids that never played before are starting because of their size (because if you watch the game it isn't their talent), while experienced players keep the bench warm.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Griffin is the head coach but I don't see much being done. This past Fridays game they had hardly any players on the sidelines during the game. I don't know about using the kiddies as feeders...I just saw some kids that have been playing for years quit because they weren't getting any play time. (3 downs 4 games) Kids that never played before are starting because of their size (because if you watch the game it isn't their talent), while experienced players keep the bench warm.

I saw that. There were some huge kids playing who had no idea what was going on. On the other hand I watched the one kid playing for Leonardtown who was about half as big as anybody else on the field, make a bunch of plays.
It's the old size vs. experience & speed. It seems to me that experience is much more important in football than other sports because of its conditioning and complexity. Granted big guys are always the coaches first choice, but that shouldn't be the only choice.

dolemite

I saw that. There were some huge kids playing who had no idea what was going on. On the other hand I watched the one kid playing for Leonardtown who was about half as big as anybody else on the field, make a bunch of plays.
It's the old size vs. experience & speed. It seems to me that experience is much more important in football than other sports because of its conditioning and complexity. Granted big guys are always the coaches first choice, but that shouldn't be the only choice.

It doesn't matter how big you are the coach will put in the talented players. It's easy to speak from the sidelines. Maybe the coach needs to be replaced:buttkick::gossip:

big_poppa

dole is right, a lot of coaches are playing the best player. I am not saying that is the case with Grif!! I don't know him very well, I played under him when he was an assistant to Greer, he was a DB coach, I played LB so I just didn't interact with him much. I do know that now I am coaching in the Pax River Raiders org and we have tried to tie into his system and for some reason he doesn't want to. The Patuxent Panthers, Huntingtown Hornets, and Westlake all do this, and it works great. Teach the kids everything they need to know from the time they can carry a football. Then everyone will be experienced. Why not go for it????

Anyway my original point was, you only have so many talented kids on a team. I play for a semi-pro team now, and even at that level we only have so many talented players. Those players do play, but you have to fill the other positions with people that fit the discription. I am 5' 9" and weigh 170 lbs (I play cornerback) even if I were the best Definsive Tackle we had, I couldn't play that position, you need someone that is 6' 3" 275 lbs to do it, I would get squashed!!! I hope you see my point.

bfncbs1

Can you ping me now? Good

Gotta blame coaching first and foremost. I think that goes for Leonardtown and Chopticon also. Look at the Westlake coach and what he has done for that school. They were winners from day one.

Secondly its the talent pool. Waldorf/La Plata area has a bigger pool of talent to pull from. Coaching is important but you also need talented players.

meangirl

Nice lady!
Gotta blame coaching first and foremost. I think that goes for Leonardtown and Chopticon also. Look at the Westlake coach and what he has done for that school. They were winners from day one.

Secondly its the talent pool. Waldorf/La Plata area has a bigger pool of talent to pull from. Coaching is important but you also need talented players.

That's who we are playing tomorrow night. :whistle:

dolemite

Oh boy .......final score 59 -7

Actually it was 57-8 Westlake vs. GMHS

How on earth do you put up 50 points in the first quarter in 12 minutes?

I couldn't do that on Madden playing on the Rookie level. Is GMHS better than the Pop Warner teams? I THINK no.......

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
Is GMHS better than the Pop Warner teams? I THINK no.......

You know that ain't right!!! Our boys have some talent...but how well would they even stack up against teams that aren't local? I watch my newphews games in Waldorf every once and again...and they are good. Real good...same division and they are playing a lot harder...not knocking our boys but.......