Horse allergic to fly spray

Loper

Animal Poor!
Any suggestions? Poor guy broke out in hives and will not let anyone near him with spray, wipes, or anything remotely smelling like fly spray.

G

GVF

1/3 cup Skin So Soft, 1/3 cup vinegar, and then fill fly spray bottle. You can use your hand, or spray onto a brush to apply also.
Good luck.

fredsaid2

We did feed through garlic one year. I don't know how effective it truly was. Hard to judge when the flies are really bad and you're near water. One thing for certain, the barn smelled like a pizza joint! :biggrin:

Cowgirl

Loper said:
Any suggestions? Poor guy broke out in hives and will not let anyone near him with spray, wipes, or anything remotely smelling like fly spray.

I've seen lots of horses break out if the fly spray wasn't mixed correctly. You sure it wasn't too concentrated?

mingiz

Horse Poor
Cowgirl said:
I've seen lots of horses break out if the fly spray wasn't mixed correctly. You sure it wasn't too concentrated?

I have seen that...But some horses are sensitive to fly sprays. I have seen some welt right up from sprays of any kind. We called them thin skinned... :lmao:

Robin

It can also be bug bites from evening sweat knats and the fly spray is irritating the bites.. Some folks like using the avon skin so soft spray oil its gentle. mosquitos are also out in the evening some horses break out in hives and then find a fence or stall wall and rub themselves to rawness. If you have a place to keep the horse, in a stall and are able to have a fan to give him/her flying insect relief it might help till the hives go away and re introduce another suggested recipe one of the other posters recommended to see it it is better for the horse. Good Luck! Its just the beginning of the fly season. I had a horse that was allergic and she had to be in the stall and with a fan and a fly sheet. Flys dont like wind.. fan is the best substitute

Loper

Animal Poor!
He broke out in hives last year when Joan had him and I don't know what spray she used but it was within ten minutes of her spraying him. She started using the wipes after that (in a black box can't remember the name). We bought the same stuff in a spray and tried to do just a test spot on his neck to see if he broke out and he went NUTS. I couldn't get close enough to him to see if he broke out or not. So last week we tried using the wipes and he was freaking out again. He was eyes rolling into the back of his head scared as soon as he got a smell of the wipe. They are now coming in during the day and have the fans on, he doesn't have any bites on him I can see, but I don't want it to get to that point. :lmao: Flies are only going to get worse. I do have a fly sheet I bought Loper that I never had to use, but it may be too small. I've never used a fly sheet, are they supposed to fit like regular blankets? same sizing as blankets?
Robin, do you have any fly sheets? If they fit like regular blankets, I would need a size 66-69 (not sure what they come in)
So who knows someone that sells AVON? :killingme

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Loper said:
He broke out in hives last year when Joan had him and I don't know what spray she used but it was within ten minutes of her spraying him. She started using the wipes after that (in a black box can't remember the name). We bought the same stuff in a spray and tried to do just a test spot on his neck to see if he broke out and he went NUTS. I couldn't get close enough to him to see if he broke out or not. So last week we tried using the wipes and he was freaking out again. He was eyes rolling into the back of his head scared as soon as he got a smell of the wipe. They are now coming in during the day and have the fans on, he doesn't have any bites on him I can see, but I don't want it to get to that point. :lmao: Flies are only going to get worse. I do have a fly sheet I bought Loper that I never had to use, but it may be too small. I've never used a fly sheet, are they supposed to fit like regular blankets? same sizing as blankets?
Robin, do you have any fly sheets? If they fit like regular blankets, I would need a size 66-69 (not sure what they come in)
So who knows someone that sells AVON? :killingme

Ebay has some great deals on SSS I am getting about 10 bottles 32 oz..how many do you want I will try to get us a deal.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Pasofever said:
Ebay has some great deals on SSS I am getting about 10 bottles 32 oz..how many do you want I will try to get us a deal.

:lmao: I should have known you would have an in! Put me in for 10 as well, if it works on Nicky, I'll use it on all the others. :whistle:

P.S. you still doing dog grooming? I have a neighbor asking, he's got 3 little Shih Tzu's (I think) can I give him your number?

Loper

Animal Poor!
Pasofever said:

Did ya get any deals? I need to get some quick.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Those cow birds work really well (egrits sp?). DO we have any here in MD? God would have to send you some. You can't buy them. :howdy:

Loper

Animal Poor!
Sadielady said:
Those cow birds work really well (egrits sp?). DO we have any here in MD? God would have to send you some. You can't buy them. :howdy:

Well that doesn't help me alot does it.. :razz:

G

GVF

If you need SSS quick, I go down to the Hughesville farmers market.... a few of the vendors carry it. Fairly cheap too. That's my source!! :)

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Loper said:
:lmao: I should have known you would have an in! Put me in for 10 as well, if it works on Nicky, I'll use it on all the others. :whistle:

P.S. you still doing dog grooming? I have a neighbor asking, he's got 3 little Shih Tzu's (I think) can I give him your number?

I am looking on ebay for it...seems cheap will let you know later today..if you go to the market let me know..

Yeah give him my number I am booked this week but have openings next week..thanks for thinking of me..

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Hang up some fly strips and get some Canola oil in case you catch some barn swallows. Evidently it's good for frying them up.