Hot curlers

Christy

b*tch rocket
RoseRed said:
That would make her eyes sparkle even more! :lmao:

Then I'd look just like you with those pretty blue eyes and all. :jet: :wink: We're already hard to tell apart. :shrug:

marianne

BadGirl said:
My hair is awful - thin, flat, and uninspired. I've been suffering with a case of Bad Hair Day for weeks now, and I can't stand it. This morning I was going to dig out my old hot curlers, but then I realized that I must have thrown them away when I recently downsized my crap. :ohwell:

It got me to thinking.....does anybody even use hot curlers anymore?

I used to use steam curlers a decade ago. They were good for curling the middle and end parts of my hair but did not do much for the top. Nowadays I've succumbed to the notion that hot irons, blow dryers, etc. are bad for your hair if you use them frequently.

At Nolas they taught me to use large size velcro curlers on my hair when it's bone dry. You don't have to worry about sectioning the hair well, just grab a chunk of hair, pull it straight up, and wrap it around a velcro curler. You need to really pull your hair tight on the last wrap and hold it in place with pins if needed. You don't need to put all your hair in curlers. 3 to 5 curlers for the hair on the top of your head is all you need. It takes 5 minutes to do the wrapping. Then spray the roots with a hairgel and leave it alone for 15 minutes. Go about getting dressed, putting on makeup, whatever. After the 15 minutes is up, unwrap the curlers and finger comb.

Paricularly assuming you are using the large size curlers, this will not curl your hair. What it really does is change the texture of your hair and make it thicker at the top so it does not look quite so limp. I find it also puts a gentle wave into the ends of my straight hair so they're not so raggidy looking.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I have extremely thin hair, thanks Dad and Auntie Venita. I hate it. I have to use gel, then try to fill in the thin-ness using a blow-dryer. And you should see me when I take my do-rag off. It is so ugly I have been asked to put it back on. I figure I'll be blad at 50

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Sorry for your hair woes, BG. :huggy: Nickel and I chatted on here about taking Biotin a while back. I still take it regularly/daily, and I notice a big difference in my hair, not to mention how much faster it grows. You can get it at most pharmacies or vitamin shops, and it's not insanely expensive. :yay:

CandyRain

BadGirl said:
My hair is awful - thin, flat, and uninspired.
It got me to thinking.....does anybody even use hot curlers anymore?

:howdy:

I use the great big ones. I put about 7 of them in. They're quick and much easier than doing the round brush/hair dryer thing. :yay:

Lilypad

marianne said:
At Nolas they taught me to use large size velcro curlers on my hair when it's bone dry. You don't have to worry about sectioning the hair well, just grab a chunk of hair, pull it straight up, and wrap it around a velcro curler. You need to really pull your hair tight on the last wrap and hold it in place with pins if needed.
How do you do this when you hair is longer than your arms?? :confused:
Thats the beauty of a baseball hat-or chopsticks :whistle:

pixiegirl said:
Post pregnancy hormones are KILLER on hair. KILLER! I didn't have a chance between pigs and with the babe being 2 my hair is finally starting to come back. When it grows out it'll be about twice as thick as it was when I cut it off. It's soooo thin now. It never recouped after N and then came G and it's taken a full 2 years to come back.

QUOTE]

What happens? Does it fall out massively?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
workin hardQUOTE said:
What happens? Does it fall out massively?
Yep. While pregnant, the pre-natal vitamins that you are taking and your changing hormones make your hair super wonderful. The hair grows faster, and the hair seems to stay implanted in your scalp longer. Shortly after delivering, you'll notice that your hair will fall out in masive quantities. The hair growth will also slow down to normal levels. At least this is my observation.

I'll try the trick of digging out my large velcro rollers. And CC, I have also taken vitamins that were specifically formulated to promote hair growth, and didn't notice a difference even after taking the pills for about 6 months.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
BadGirl said:
Yep. While pregnant, the pre-natal vitamins that you are taking and your changing hormones make your hair super wonderful. The hair grows faster, and the hair seems to stay implanted in your scalp longer. Shortly after delivering, you'll notice that your hair will fall out in masive quantities. The hair growth will also slow down to normal levels. At least this is my observation.

I'll try the trick of digging out my large velcro rollers. And CC, I have also taken vitamins that were specifically formulated to promote hair growth, and didn't notice a difference even after taking the pills for about 6 months.

Be careful with the velcro especially if your hair is on the fine side, it can get stuck and break your hair off at the roots. How bout taking the prenatal vitamins for awhile if you can stand them. They made me sick when I was pregnant.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
pixiegirl said:
My hair is much like Nic's. I have curl that weighs out very easily. Have you tried a small amount of curl defining product and blowdrying on low with a diffuser?
I used some of the advice in my stupid "perm" thread, and ended up getting my old curls back! :banana: I used an alcohol free spray gel, went back to using Curls Rock, and finished off with a little Glass. Blowdried with a diffuser upside down, for just a few minutes to get it semi-dry (it would take too long to completely dry my two tons of hair :lol:) and it was perfect! I'd never bothered with a diffuser, because I was afraid of frizzies, but that wasn't a problem. Now I'm glad I have a way to wear my hair curly in the winter without freezing my neck off with wet hair for hours while it air dries. :lol: