Hot sandwiches

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Another favorite hot sandwich is a monte cristo.
One of my favorites but not many serve it anymore. Last time I had one, it was some local restaurant that I don't remember the name of right now, and they served it with some sort of hot goopy gravy to dip it in instead of jelly. I was soooooo disappointed. :ohwell:

SamSpade

We used to make Reubens - or "Rachels" (cole slaw in place of sauerkraut) all the time until I learned that I was really the only person in the family that liked it - ditto corned beef and cabbage.

But I typically did my corned beef by cooking - by whatever means - the corned beef and then chilling it 0 and use my food slicer to cut it very, very thin - and getting the very best rye I could find. Sometimes a good thick artisan rye works. And you use Russian, not thousand island.

I don't think I've ever had the more authentic Monte Cristo sandwich - I didn't know until a year ago that what I've made and eaten isn't the way it's usually made. When I worked in a restaurant, we made them with French toast - not whole dipped in batter and fried.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've only seen it in a few places, like the Nautilis diner in Crofton or Ruth Chic's Deli in Annapolis.
Bennigan's in Waldorf served a really good one, but closed years ago. Rip's in Bowie still serves it, but I haven't been there in years.

gemma_rae

We used to make Reubens - or "Rachels" (cole slaw in place of sauerkraut) all the time until I learned that I was really the only person in the family that liked it - ditto corned beef and cabbage.

But I typically did my corned beef by cooking - by whatever means - the corned beef and then chilling it 0 and use my food slicer to cut it very, very thin - and getting the very best rye I could find. Sometimes a good thick artisan rye works. And you use Russian, not thousand island.

I don't think I've ever had the more authentic Monte Cristo sandwich - I didn't know until a year ago that what I've made and eaten isn't the way it's usually made. When I worked in a restaurant, we made them with French toast - not whole dipped in batter and fried.
"So thin it's only got one side!":lol:

I think Emeril said that.:yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Nothing better than a good hot off of the press Cuban
Ha!...good point. When I was working in a shipyard on Stock Island in the keys, the food truck that came around at lunch time every day was operated by a Cuban family and dayum they made some good sammiches.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My brother has a specialty that makes for awesome sandwiches but it's expensive to make so we only do it once or twice a year. He gets these fairly large, mild red polish sausages from one particular place in Baltimore..buys the whole case. They get boiled in a pot full of dark beer (about two cases) and tons of brown sugar mixed in, , with sliced mild red/green/yellow peppers and onions. After the sausages are suitably plump, they go on a hot grill to carmelize the exterior, with a couple dips in the sugar brine for good measure (all that sugar in the brine carmelizes nicely on the outside of the sausages). The veggies get strained out and set aside in a pan. A sausage smothered in the veggies and a good shot of spicey mustard, on a small hoagie roll...to die for.

stgislander

PREMO Member
My brother has a specialty that makes for awesome sandwiches but it's expensive to make so we only do it once or twice a year. He gets these fairly large, mild red polish sausages from one particular place in Baltimore..buys the whole case. They get boiled in a pot full of dark beer (about two cases) and tons of brown sugar mixed in, , with sliced mild red/green/yellow peppers and onions. After the sausages are suitably plump, they go on a hot grill to carmelize the exterior, with a couple dips in the sugar brine for good measure (all that sugar in the brine carmelizes nicely on the outside of the sausages). The veggies get strained out and set aside in a pan. A sausage smothered in the veggies and a good shot of spicey mustard, on a small hoagie roll...to die for.
Not a sammich.

Let the debate again.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm thinking this is a meal sometime today. I'll forgo the boil in beer part, but roasted Italian sausage with grilled peppers and onions with a bit of tomato sauce on a bun.