House Fire Ridge

CobbWeb

Just dispatched for house fire Three Notch Road near Cedar Lane, possibly on Cedar Lane.

Caller was on Dove Cove Rd and can see fire across St Jeromes Creek.

E-43 on scene advising possibly controlled burn, will confirm and advise.

Confirmed controlled burn, canceled box.

Last edited:

Honda

Just dispatched for house fire Three Notch Road near Cedar Lane, possibly on Cedar Lane.

Caller was on Dove Cove Rd and can see fire across St Jeromes Creek.

E-43 on scene advising possibly controlled burn, will confirm and advise.

Confirmed controlled burn, canceled box.

With 25 to 40 knot winds this bozo desides to burn a brush pile,Hope he was finded by the fire marshal or the sherrif because he could have burned the neiborhood down,stupid renter also burns plastic at times. Hope he gets a $500.00 bill from the fire department for their time and effort.:bigwhoop

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
It was a campfire that some kids were burning at a camp out. Someone across the creek freaked out and called the fire department.

Honda

It was a campfire that some kids were burning at a camp out. Someone across the creek freaked out and called the fire department.

Campfire! with flames 12 feet in the air and high winds,NOT A CONTROLED BURN!

TPD

the poor dad
Campfire! with flames 12 feet in the air and high winds,NOT A CONTROLED BURN!

The fire could have been protected by the winds. I don't think we are under a burning ban at this point, so if they were following all the rules of a controlled burn, than why not let them make those s'mores?

Honda

The fire could have been protected by the winds. I don't think we are under a burning ban at this point, so if they were following all the rules of a controlled burn, than why not let them make those s'mores?

This was a open fire with brush put five feet tall and maybe 12 feet around and wasn't proteced by the wind at all.I thought if you plain to burn you need a permit if it's bigger than six feet around or call the fire department and let them know that you are doing a controled burn with a water hose near by and a rake to help you control it.Would like to know if the parent's told the kids it's ok to burn ,pretty good size campfire.Did the parent's seem to have given it some thought or just have some fun with their cookout ? Needless to say one of the parent's I'm sure he had a few cold ones that day, as always with his trailer trash buddies.Seen two guys with five gallon buckets getting water out of the creek trying to knock it down after they heard the fire alarm going off , before the fire department showed up.When the fire department did arive it was still eight feet around a pretty good size for a campfire.If the person across the creek didn't call,I'm pretty sure I would have,Thanks for making the call.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
OK, since I was on one of the trucks that made it to the scene, the flames were not twelve feet high. It was a campfire on the back side of a house. The wind was blowing off the creek, and the fire was protected by the house. They had a (somewhat) fire line around the fire so it wouldn't spread. :rolleyes:

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
OK, since I was on one of the trucks that made it to the scene, the flames were not twelve feet high. It was a campfire on the back side of a house. The wind was blowing off the creek, and the fire was protected by the house. They had a (somewhat) fire line around the fire so it wouldn't spread. :rolleyes:

We live on St. Jerome's Creek and we could hear the sirens first and then we could see the units arriving on the scene through the trees across the creek. We did not see any smoke from our location for what it's worth.

I will say that it was quite windy though just as it is today and when we cooked out on the charcoal grill last night the hose was ready just in case.

Honda

Ok fine ,Sir glad to here that you were on the call,job well done! Company 4 at it's best again, is #1 in my book.Before you guys (the Fire Deptment) had arrived they were already putting the fire out,when the fire was started it was twelve feet tall,before the ALARM WENT OFF and when you arived it was down to 3 to 5 feet.When they heard the alarm thats when they knew you guys were coming. This was dry marsh grass and paper products that was put in a pile from what I had seen.Do you know if a person has to have a permit if a fire will be more than 6 feet around and does the Fire Department need to know of a control burn (time and place).To me this was not a campfire but more of a bonfire or somewhat of a controled burn that someone called in because of high winds and the size of the flames for the first fifteen minutes,before the water was added.
Thanks

TPD

the poor dad
Ok fine ,Sir glad to here that you were on the call,job well done! Company 4 at it's best again, is #1 in my book.Before you guys (the Fire Deptment) had arrived they were already putting the fire out,when the fire was started it was twelve feet tall,before the ALARM WENT OFF and when you arived it was down to 3 to 5 feet.When they heard the alarm thats when they knew you guys were coming. This was dry marsh grass and paper products that was put in a pile from what I had seen.Do you know if a person has to have a permit if a fire will be more than 6 feet around and does the Fire Department need to know of a control burn (time and place).To me this was not a campfire but more of a bonfire or somewhat of a controled burn that someone called in because of high winds and the size of the flames for the first fifteen minutes,before the water was added.
Thanks

Try this thread:
http://forums.somd.com/life-southern-maryland/205268-trash-burning-2.html

This response in particular:
Rubber and plastic are a problem. You may want to talk to them first.

Private property you can burn leaves etc whenever you want. Permitted burns (demo house) have time restrictions. The county has it's own guidelines for those private property burns. Basically min 200 ft from occupied dwelling, debris originates on property. You should call the county emergency center and tell them.

http://www.smchd.org/documents/BurningPermits.pdf

Here is what COMAR says:

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/get...6.11.07.05.htm

.05 Open Fires Allowed Without Authorization of Control Officer or Public Officer.

A. Except as provided in Regulation .03C of this chapter, in Allegany, Calvert, Caroline, Cecil, Charles, Dorchester, Garrett, Frederick, Kent, Queen Anne's, Somerset, St. Mary's, Talbot, Washington, Wicomico, and Worchester counties, open fires, in conformance with other governmental fire control ordinances and provided no nuisance or air pollution is created, are allowed without permission under Regulation .03 or .04 of this regulation as follows:

(1) In those areas where no provision is made for public collection of leaves, burning of leaves originating on the premises, by householders, is permitted, provided that leaves are not burned at locations closer than 200 feet (61 meters) from any neighboring habitable dwelling or place where people work or congregate;

(2) In those areas where no provision is made for public collection of refuse, burning of ordinary household trash originating on the premises, excluding commercial establishments, by householders is permitted provided that:

(a) Materials are not burned which create dense smoke (emissions of greater than 40 percent opacity), and

(b) Refuse may not be burned at locations closer than 200 feet (61 meters) from any neighboring habitable dwelling or place where people work or congregate;

(3) Cooking of food on other than commercial premises or cooking of food which is subject to COMAR 26.11.18.06;

(4) Fires set in the course of agricultural operations in growing crops or raising fowl or animals or in accepted forestry practice; this provision may not be construed as allowing the burning of ordinary household or barnyard trash in areas where provision is made for public collection of refuse;

(5) Recreational purposes, such as campfires;

(6) Oil or gas fired salamanders or similar devices designated specifically for space heating or warming outdoor workers, etc., provided no visible emissions are created;

(7) Warming fires for outdoor workers, provided smoke emissions are not darker in shade or appearance than those designated as greater than 40 percent opacity, and the fires are located no closer than 200 feet (61 meters) from any neighboring habitable building.

Hope that helps!