House votes to give itself pay raise..........Like they need it. $158,100 a year.

Danzig

The cost-of-living raise would be the sixth straight for members of the House and Senate, boosting the salaries of lawmakers, now $158,100, by about $4,000 in the new calendar year.

The civil servant COLA is part of an $89.9 billion Transportation and Treasury Department spending bill that the House is expected to pass Wednesday. The Senate has yet to take up the legislation.

The measure stipulates that civil servants get raises of 3.5 percent, the same as military personnel will receive next year. Under a complicated formula, that translates to 2.5 percent for members of Congress.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/15/congress.payraise.ap/index.html

Danzig said:
The cost-of-living raise would be the sixth straight for members of the House and Senate, boosting the salaries of lawmakers, now $158,100, by about $4,000 in the new calendar year.

The civil servant COLA is part of an $89.9 billion Transportation and Treasury Department spending bill that the House is expected to pass Wednesday. The Senate has yet to take up the legislation.

The measure stipulates that civil servants get raises of 3.5 percent, the same as military personnel will receive next year. Under a complicated formula, that translates to 2.5 percent for members of Congress.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/15/congress.payraise.ap/index.html
I have no problem with it.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
huntr1 said:
I have no problem with it.
:yeahthat: Cost-of-living increases are perfectly ok by my book.

Besides, $158,000 might be a good salary in DC. And I'm sure it's a comfortable one to live on, but it's by no means rich.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
The bigger question might be, "Why do people spend millions to get a job that pays $158k+?" Perks? Power? Influence? There is something desperately wrong with our system, because the wrong people keep getting elected. The problem is the people in power can "buy" votes of those with their hands out. Too many people on the dole and soon, the well will run dry or the bucket will bust.