Houston...

PJay

you have a problem as I see it. :twitch:

Right now there are hundreds of busses on the highway transporting refugees from the Superdome in New Orleans to the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. Somebody needs to tell Houston that trouble is on the way.

How many people are going to be bussed to the Astrodome? Twenty thousand? Thirty? Many, perhaps most of these people have nothing left in New Orleans. They have no homes to return to, no personal belongings, no jobs. There is no reason for them to go back, and there is no law that can keep them confined to the Astrodome. They're not under arrest. They will be free to leave when they wish, and go where they want. These aren't the cream of the crop. Some of the people who will take up residence,for a while, may have been looting jewelry stores in New Orleans yesterday. Many are from the various New Orleans welfare housing projects.

Are you ready, Houston?

A better idea I think would be: Take them to our military installations. Many of these are slated for closing. They have empty barracks, unused mess halls and all of the medical and sanitary facilities they will need, also while there the refugees could start job training classes and could gain experience working to maintain the facility as they live and learn basic economic survival skills.

Just a thought.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If anyone would have thought about this there is a dome in Montreal that is available and it was only slightly used when they had a ball team up there. :biggrin:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
We have enough problems in Texas with people crossing the border from the southwest. Now from the East! :lol:

nomoney

I don't think many of them being bussed over there now are the "looters" I think the ones going first are the ones from the superdome itself that listened and did what they were told and have been in the superdome since the hurricane :shrug: I could be wrong I guess.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
nomoney said:
I don't think many of them being bussed over there now are the "looters" I think the ones going first are the ones from the superdome itself that listened and did what they were told and have been in the superdome since the hurricane :shrug: I could be wrong I guess.
Last I heard, looters that were caught were being taken to Ft. Polk army base.

Hot N Bothered

The people being bused to the Astrodome are the 20,000 who took up residence in the Superdome before the storm hit. Although it's possible that some people from the stadium have gone out into the city to loot, it's not like they could take the stolen goods back to the stadium, they'd have to have stashed them somewhere. They certainly aren't loading the loot up on government buses. And after all that effort, I doubt they'd leave their loot behind, likely never to be seen again.

As for these people winding up indigent on the streets of Houston, you've got to be kidding, right? Since they are probably the most well documented of the storm victims, they will be getting first dibs on all the aid that comes available. Some of them will be sitting pretty.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Hot N Bothered said:
As for these people winding up indigent on the streets of Houston, you've got to be kidding, right? Since they are probably the most well documented of the storm victims, they will be getting first dibs on all the aid that comes available. Some of them will be sitting pretty.
Yeah, the perfect place for everyone's aid money: some bling for their new H3. But they still won't have a home where they can park it.