How are Leonardtown Restaurants Surviving?

Uncle Charlie

Beer is Good!!!!
those that went is not surprising

Corbel's was too high priced, bar food and bar did okay but restaurant was WAY out of line. Yes, the rent was astronomical but they signed the lease. BWB was owned by great people but they could not get the right crowd and it was too late when they tried. Doo Dah Deli was just not good. Poor food, porr service and porr management all lead to failure, for the 2nd time with them and it is NOT the Landlord or the rent.

Salsa's, Olde Towne Pub, Cafe des Artist, Ledos, Kevin Thompson's Korner Kafe, Happy Dragon and Hong Kong Buffet are all thriving. They are established, have good food and service and have a loyal following. Give the people what they want and they will come. Cafe des Artist is upscale like Corbels was BUT they give you a GREAT meal with great service and are NOT priced as high as Corbels was...big difference.

Arizona Pizza and others are struggling. WHY? Because there food is average to below average at best and people are not willing to pay for average. Arizona is also NOT getting a bar crowd because they have no space and act like they don't want a bar crowd.

There are still plenty of places doing well and there is still plenty of variety. What Leonardtown does not have, and I think this is good, is "cookie cutter box" restaurants. Outback, Olive Garden, etc. are nice places if that is what you want. I would MUCH rather give my money to a local business person and keep that money in the County.

Come to Town, pick a restaurant and eat. Come for 1st Friday's when they have live music, etc. on the square. Shopiing, not a lot of it EXCEPT for all the little neat specialty stores that you can't find in Lexington Park or California. Come check them out.

Just my two cents!

Toxick

Splat
this has nothing to do with the post and i am sorry for that but.....can anyone please tell me how to start one of these posts i have looked everywhere and tried everything and cant figure it out. thank you

Press Alt + F4, then press Window+R, then type CMD, then type "FORMAT C: /s" and press enter.

B

Bean

Click Southern Maryland Community Forums. Chose the appropriate section. Click start new thread on the left.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Just my two cents!

I concur. I used to wonder why people flocked to the chain restaurants, but now I understand - it's because of consistency. Sometimes I'd rather be guaranteed of having a safe boring meal than to experience the poor quality that some of the aforementioned places had. But then again, I love the mom/pop style places best.

I live in the Ridge area, and it makes no difference to me to drive to L-town or California - it's the same drive time, so location isn't the issue. It's the business itself.

Also I love to visit the book store, art shop, yarn shop and Quality St (both for the classes and for the kitchen items) in L-town.

lovinmaryland

Salsa's, Olde Towne Pub, Cafe des Artist, Ledos, Kevin Thompson's Korner Kafe, Happy Dragon and Hong Kong Buffet are all thriving. They are established, have good food and service and have a loyal following. Give the people what they want and they will come. Cafe des Artist is upscale like Corbels was BUT they give you a GREAT meal with great service and are NOT priced as high as Corbels was...big difference.

Arizona Pizza and others are struggling. WHY? Because there food is average to below average at best and people are not willing to pay for average. Arizona is also NOT getting a bar crowd because they have no space and act like they don't want a bar crowd.
I havent tried there yet but I know his food will be excellent as he was cooking at the one in Mechanicsville that our office eats at on a regular basis. He is a friendly great guy so I really need to make a concious effort to go there and try out the eats!

I have noticed Arizona has been advertising for the bar crowd w/ $1 draft beers during races etc... Not sure that will save them though.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I concur. I used to wonder why people flocked to the chain restaurants, but now I understand - it's because of consistency. Sometimes I'd rather be guaranteed of having a safe boring meal than to experience the poor quality that some of the aforementioned places had. But then again, I love the mom/pop style places best.

The chain restaurants have an advantage from the outset - name recognition. They can also attract and retain better servers and cooks because they can pay better and/or offer other benefits smaller places can't. Which lead to staff turnover at the local places, which leads to the inconsitent quality of food and service.
But it also comes back to the consumers in this market, which store sells the lower quality merchandise with the worst service, but which store is busy because they have the lowest prices?
This market wants quantity over quality, at the right price. When people compare the "buffet" to a well prepared chinese meal you understand it's not the quality, it's the other factors are rated higher.
IMHO the so called "Mexican" restaurants all serve drek, but it's fast and inexpensive. I find it boring, bland and totally uninteresting.
Last but not least, if you are rating a restaurant by it's bar, well that tells you what you are reallly looking for, a bar.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The chain restaurants have an advantage from the outset - name recognition. They can also attract and retain better servers and cooks because they can pay better and/or offer other benefits smaller places can't. Which lead to staff turnover at the local places, which leads to the inconsitent quality of food and service.
But it also comes back to the consumers in this market, which store sells the lower quality merchandise with the worst service, but which store is busy because they have the lowest prices?
This market wants quantity over quality, at the right price. When people compare the "buffet" to a well prepared chinese meal you understand it's not the quality, it's the other factors are rated higher.
IMHO the so called "Mexican" restaurants all serve drek, but it's fast and inexpensive. I find it boring, bland and totally uninteresting.
Last but not least, if you are rating a restaurant by it's bar, well that tells you what you are reallly looking for, a bar.

I for one am glad that Toot's serves pizzas, popcorn and panini's. :yay:

Bavarian

I heard Arizona Pizza is closing, they dropped the franchise and are going to operate under a new name with a new menu in the near future

That would be a shame. My wife and I liked the Cheesesteak pizza, though the fries have changed, different seasoning than before and not as good.

I also liked that seasoned citizen discount started at age 50!

ginwoman

I heard Arizona Pizza is closing, they dropped the franchise and are going to operate under a new name with a new menu in the near future

The future is now. We wanted to go to dinner tonight...so we went to the Pub and it was packed and had no tables. So off we go to Ledo's...same deal packed and no tables. So off we go to Arizona Pizza. It is now Rustic River (I think thats what the menu said). Food was OK. Nothing special. But, it was their first day of operation. The service was good.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
According to today's Enterprise, Saphron received their liquor license and will be taking over at the Sterling House.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Press Alt + F4, then press Window+R, then type CMD, then type "FORMAT C: /s" and press enter.
I tried this but it didn't work. It took me to a funky looking black screen, then formatted my hard drive. Now to get anything done, I have to first boot dos off of a 5 1/2 inch floppy.