How bout them Caps!

OldHillcrestGuy

Im not looking for Varly, anytime soon it has been reported this morning that he has reinjured his knee, I dont see him coming back till after the Olympic's.

Caps are a scoring machine and can score alot of goals, but as someone as mentioned, I would like to see then acquire one more veteren defensemen, stay at home type of guy at the trading deadline. Caps have a ton of young trade bait down on the farm. Hershey is running away from everyone, just came off a 12 game win streak, and our team in the ECHL, the South Carolina Stingrays are running away in their league, so the future is very bright for years to come.

I thought Theodore would have been traded by the trade deadline about a month ago with the way Neuvirth was playing and getting all the playing time, but now with Varly's recurring injury problem, he will be here and needed the rest of the way.

Its good to see the Caps beat teams like the Flyers, and Red Wings and hopefully the Penquins tomorrow, its really hard to judge just how good they are when the play the likes of the Canes, Lightning, Thrashers and Panthers alot cause you have to admit those teams are not playoff contenders.

There are some very good teams in the Western Division that the Caps will have to get past to fufill there Stanley Cup dreams, and the Caps have a history of not doing well against that group of teams.

Last edited:
Im not looking for Varly, anytime soon it has been reported this morning that he has reinjured his knee, I dont see him coming back till after the Olympic's.

I thought Theodore would have been traded by the trade deadline about a month ago with the way Neuvirth was playing and getting all the playing time, but now with Varly's recurring injury problem, he will be here and needed the rest of the way.

I thought they would have gotten rid of him by the deadline too, now Im glad they didnt.

DaBRAVES

The caps are a very good team. Definitely playoff bound and possibly could make a run at the cup this year.

HOWEVER..... not with Threeormore in net...HE IS TERRIBLE!!!! This is what he has done for years, he strings together a couple good to great games then turns around and stinks it up for a month. And VARLY....yes he is GOING TO BE A VERY GOOD goalie, but he isn't there yet. He drops to cover the bottom half of the net too early. Did it last year in the playoffs. The Rangers didn't have the firepower to exploit it, but the Pens did. And even with his 12-1-2 record this year he has done the same. The only way I would say the Caps are Cup Bound is if they get a better Goalie to back up Varly and a stay at home defensemen at the deadline.

OldHillcrestGuy

The caps are a very good team. Definitely playoff bound and possibly could make a run at the cup this year.

HOWEVER..... not with Threeormore in net...HE IS TERRIBLE!!!! This is what he has done for years, he strings together a couple good to great games then turns around and stinks it up for a month. And VARLY....yes he is GOING TO BE A VERY GOOD goalie, but he isn't there yet. He drops to cover the bottom half of the net too early. Did it last year in the playoffs. The Rangers didn't have the firepower to exploit it, but the Pens did. And even with his 12-1-2 record this year he has done the same. The only way I would say the Caps are Cup Bound is if they get a better Goalie to back up Varly and a stay at home defensemen at the deadline.

I agree on the defensemen, but the goaltending is OK, if Varly comes back this season we should be fine. Where you going to get a goalie any better then Theodore as a backup. Varly does need to get back quickly, I hope not but it appears he might be a injury prone type player. Neuvirth and Varly are our future goalies, they are both only 21. I certainly dont see any moves to get another goalie in here for the playoff run.
Tonight is a good test to see just how good we really are, and I expect Theodore to be in goal. Penquins have been flying high of late and that damn Crosby is really hot and Malkin is beginning to get hot. GO CAPS

LastSon

Man of Tomorrow
I would agree with DaBRAVES in their assessment of Varly last season. However, from what I've seen of him this year, he seems to be much more calm and technically sound. In his time from earlier in the season, he wasn't getting out of position as often, and was doing a much better job stopping the higher shots.

Honestly, best case scenario for the Caps is to get Varly fully healthy, let Theo hopefully maintain the hot streak that he is on (In his last four appearances, he's 4-0-0 with a 1.68 GAA and .951 SV%), and then be able to package him in a deal at the deadline for a 'clear the crease' defender.

Should be a very interesting second half of the year, but I'm not ready to book my Cup Final tickets quite yet.

OldHillcrestGuy

I would agree with DaBRAVES in their assessment of Varly last season. However, from what I've seen of him this year, he seems to be much more calm and technically sound. In his time from earlier in the season, he wasn't getting out of position as often, and was doing a much better job stopping the higher shots.

Honestly, best case scenario for the Caps is to get Varly fully healthy, let Theo hopefully maintain the hot streak that he is on (In his last four appearances, he's 4-0-0 with a 1.68 GAA and .951 SV%), and then be able to package him in a deal at the deadline for a 'clear the crease' defender.

Should be a very interesting second half of the year, but I'm not ready to book my Cup Final tickets quite yet.

I dont see Varly getting fully healthy before the Olympic's get started, thats just 13 games away, then the league shuts down for 2 1/2 weeks. Hopefully he will pass on playing in the Olympic's for Russia, if he doesnt get healthy in the next couple of days I dont see a chance of him playing anyway. I think management will have a say and will encourage him to get back in shape and forgo the Olympics, let him go to Hershey and play for them getting back in shape while the NHL is shutdown, then come back ready to go. Unfortunately thats just about the the time the trading deadline comes up and the Caps just cant think about trading Theodore not knowing whether Varly's health is strong again. Bottom line they will be running out of time for varly to get alot of playing time with only 20 games left after the break.