How can I get Apollo to stop licking the skin growth on his leg?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He licked it so much he opened it up and had to have it bandaged for several days and wear the Cone of Shame. It's healed now but he keeps wanting to bother it. The vet says the growth is normal old dog stuff but I want him to stop making wounds in himself. You'd think he'd be smart enough not to give himself a boo boo, but there it is.

Currently I have surgical tape over it but that's not a permanent fix and he can't wear the cone all the time. Is there a solution to my problem?

black dog

Free America
When I had labs a few of them would get heat spots and they would lick until the hair was gone.
It would just be a mess. One of the old vets out here told use to take Cayenne pepper powder and mix some with vaseline to make a paste.
The hard part is to take a spoonfull of pepper and wipe it around the dogs gums on the outside of their teeth. And then when they understand its hot to smear some around the sore.
If they keep licking its not hot enough.
Its kinna like holding your kid to get shots. Good luck.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
He licked it so much he opened it up and had to have it bandaged for several days and wear the Cone of Shame. It's healed now but he keeps wanting to bother it. The vet says the growth is normal old dog stuff but I want him to stop making wounds in himself. You'd think he'd be smart enough not to give himself a boo boo, but there it is.

Currently I have surgical tape over it but that's not a permanent fix and he can't wear the cone all the time. Is there a solution to my problem?
There’s a spray we used for the malamutes. I want to say it was called bitter apple or something like that. You can usually get it at Petco or a vet.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
We used Betagen Topical Spray.
It is a prescription from the vet.
We have a bottle here you can have, but you moved.

black dog

Free America
There’s a spray we used for the malamutes. I want to say it was called bitter apple or something like that. You can usually get it at Petco or a vet.

Tried it, dogs got that funny face like the kid was feeding them sour gummy worms.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Tried that with my mutt after getting him neutered and rear dew claws removed, he liked it. The only thing that worked for him was the collar of shame.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Tried that with my mutt after getting him neutered and rear dew claws removed, he liked it. The only thing that worked for him was the collar of shame.
I guess my Mals were just spoiled with good ole home cooking and finicky taste.

:lmao:

gemma_rae

TPD

the poor dad
Growing up as a kid, we had the cure-all for everything - better than mercurochrome - it was called McNess Krestol Salve. Our animal feed supplier - McNess - sold this product. Written right on the can - "For Man or Beast". It would pull splinters out of your finger, it would heal burns. In fact, one of us kids had a cut so deep that we needed stitches - mom put that on the cut and waited a day before taking us to the doctor. Doc said if it hadn't been for the krestol salve, he wouldn't have been able to stitch it because of waiting too long to visit. We still use it to this day-my daughter is a believer in it. One can will last a lifetime. If you can find one for purchase - it is worth every dime! It doesn't go bad either. If you were in town, I would gladly give you a dab for the dog.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Growing up as a kid, we had the cure-all for everything - better than mercurochrome - it was called McNess Krestol Salve.
Growing up in New England, ours was Ichthammol, still keep a tube in the 1st aid kit. Also used a lot of A&D ointment.

Reactions: TPD

black dog

Free America
Growing up as a kid, we had the cure-all for everything - better than mercurochrome - it was called McNess Krestol Salve. Our animal feed supplier - McNess - sold this product. Written right on the can - "For Man or Beast". It would pull splinters out of your finger, it would heal burns. In fact, one of us kids had a cut so deep that we needed stitches - mom put that on the cut and waited a day before taking us to the doctor. Doc said if it hadn't been for the krestol salve, he wouldn't have been able to stitch it because of waiting too long to visit. We still use it to this day-my daughter is a believer in it. One can will last a lifetime. If you can find one for purchase - it is worth every dime! It doesn't go bad either. If you were in town, I would gladly give you a dab for the dog.

Its available again. Reminds me if the Black Pine Tar soap my gfather had next to his sink.