How do you feel

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
About marrying at a courthouse then having a wedding at a later date?

I was surprised to recently hear very negative comments about it..calling it a wedding do-over, tacky, etc.

I was surprised to recently hear very negative comments about it..calling it a wedding do-over, tacky, etc.
Congrats! You are the couple putting on the event so you get to do what you want regardless of how others feel. If people you invite are bent enough by the faux 2nd marriage then so be it.

That being said, I do personally look at it negatively because you truly are married at the first time and the 2nd time is just for show. If you two don't mean it to be just for show and pictures than why not allow friends and family to witness the real deal? After all isn't that the intent... for them to be witness to the two of you vowing your devotion and commitment?

If you do have to get married quickly at the courthouse (congrats again! :baby:) then why not just have an extravagant reception at a later date? You could still go all out with an awesome dress, the cake, the garter, etc. but you wouldn't be having them sit through a faux marriage...:shrug:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Congrats! You are the couple putting on the event so you get to do what you want regardless of how others feel. If people you invite are bent enough by the faux 2nd marriage then so be it.

That being said, I do personally look at it negatively because you truly are married at the first time and the 2nd time is just for show. If you two don't mean it to be just for show and pictures than why not allow friends and family to witness the real deal? After all isn't that the intent... for them to be witness to the two of you vowing your devotion and commitment?

If you do have to get married quickly at the courthouse (congrats again! :baby:) then why not just have an extravagant reception at a later date? You could still go all out with an awesome dress, the cake, the garter, etc. but you wouldn't be having them sit through a faux marriage...:shrug:

I concur with everything Kwillia Bear said.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to have a courthouse wedding and then a large reception. But I think a second wedding says you feel like you don't think the first one was real.

You can always have the second wedding on a major anniversary and call it a renewal of vows and get the big dream wedding then.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I was just much too frugal -and poor- to have a formal wedding, which us why we had a court house wedding. But I am just as married as the folks who spent $50,000 on their expensive ceremony.

I was just much too frugal -and poor- to have a formal wedding, which us why we had a court house wedding. But I am just as married as the folks who spent $50,000 on their expensive ceremony.
It's all in how you look at it... when we were planning our wedding (invite list was max'd at 400) my dad offered us a good chunk of cash if we wanted to elope because he knew we were also looking to get our first house soon there after. I am super practical and you could tell I was immediately considering it. Then my fiancé took my hand, looked me dead in the eyes and said, "Yes, it would be nice to have that money to put down on a house. But we are going to get a house at some point regardless. Having this wedding is our only opportunity in our lifetime to have all of our friends and family stop what they are doing to acknowledge the love we have for each other... those memories will last a lifetime."

I knew then we were having the big wedding... 375 of the 400 attending and what a party it was... 24+ years later and we still pull out the video of the wedding and reception and watch it... reliving the day and laughing and sometimes crying as we see everyone that did stop what they were doing to spend the day with us.... several of them are no longer here so the video is indeed bittersweet.

How about a court wedding, then just a big ol' reception at the later date? I don't see a need for a second ritual, especially since most are more interested in the reception anyway... :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I don't like it. My former DIL considered doing this when she married my son (actually it was her dingbat mother's idea). They'd get married in some civil thing, then have an enormous wedding at a later date. I talked her out of it, saying that her special day would no longer be special and that friends and family who would normally travel to the wedding wouldn't make the trip for a vow renewal. What I wanted to say was that was one of the tackier things I'd ever heard of.

Why is this a thing, anyway? Why not just get married and have the wedding all at once?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
No need for congrats :lmao:

I just wondered about the negativity when I mentioned it. I was surprised by the amount of people who feel like Vrai does about it. That there is something particularly special about the *moment* the legal part of the wedding is done. And that if you are absent from the "legal" paper signing part, then for whatever reason the rest is null and void..I am trying to understand that point of view because I don't feel that way at all. I can totally see doing a courthouse thing privately and then planning a religious ceremony with a party to follow. There are many reasons someone would like to be legally married before they could afford to throw a proper wedding..especially if one is paying for it themselves

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That there is something particularly special about the *moment* the legal part of the wedding is done.

It's called a ceremony for a reason.

Think about being a bride at your wedding. You are walking down the aisle to join with the man you love and become his wife. Your father or other parent figure is giving you, his little girl, away. It's a new beginning, a cultural ritual, and that's what your guests want to see. Even if you've lived together for years, perhaps have children together, being married! is a huge symbol of commitment.

If you're already married, the ceremony loses its importance and now it's just a dog and pony show. You (not you LT, but figurative you) just want a big to-do, wear a fancy dress, and make your attendants spend a #### ton of money so you can be the center of attention, and that's what makes it tacky and no longer special.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am reminded of Buddy Lee and his "as long as our love lasts" nonsense, and the hell he caught on here for it. :lol: It is understood that you will remain married only as long as you love each other, but tacky to just come out and say so at your wedding. More optimistic to say "until death do us part".

libertytyranny - I spent about a quarter of an adult life deejaying people's wedding ceremonies and wedding receptions. I had a great time doing it, it was pretty neat getting to share so many of those kinds of occasions with so many different people. Based on those experiences, and on meeting with so many brides-to-be and grooms-to-be in order to plan their receptions, I'd say three things in response to your question.

First, people went about things in all kinds of ways. Sometimes I did receptions weeks or months after the couple had actually been married, more often it was right after the actual marriage. Sometimes the ceremonies and receptions were kinda mixed together, more often they were distinct events. And the way people did the ceremonies and the receptions differed in a lot of other ways. Regardless, they almost always ended up being cool in some way - in their own ways. And I say that even though 90% of the time I was just a hired outsider, I didn't have a close connection to most of the participants.

Second, people love parties. And a marriage is the ultimate excuse to have a party. That's a reality that remains true whether the party immediately follows the legal marriage or takes place months later. All the traditions and anticipated rituals of wedding receptions aside, the real connection between the actual marriage and the wedding reception is little more than that - the former is an excuse to have the latter. That, and the latter helps create memories associated with the former. When it comes to those memories, 20 years later I suspect they'll still feel like your wedding memories whether they were created 3 hours after your legal marriage or 3 months later.

Third, too many people spend too much time and endure too much angst worrying about what others will think of the way they choose to do things. That's especially true when it comes to people's weddings. Far too often I saw people doing things they didn't want to do, on their wedding days, because other people expected them to do things certain ways. It's your wedding, do things the way you and your husband want (or need) to do them. Then they'll be two kinds of people: Those that are happy for you, and happy to be a part of the occasion, regardless, and those whose opinions you shouldn't worry much about.

So... my opinion... do things so that they feel right to you and your husband or however works best for you guys. You're throwing a party. It's a party for a special reason and with some ritualistic ceremony involved, yes, but it's still a party. If some of your friends or family don't like the party you throw or when you throw it, that's their problem.

littlelady

God bless the USA
My daughter and her hub married at the court house several months before their actual wedding for insurance purposes. We just never told anyone. Only the two sets of parents knew. Of course, we had to tell the minister who married them for marriage certificate/registration purposes. They were married in Montgomery County and the wedding was in Talbot County. It is nobody's biz. Do what makes you happy.

Another example. My daughter's best growing up next door neighbor friend is getting married in Greece in October, and they are going to have a party/reception locally in the future. Friends and relatives were shocked and bent at first, but that is what Kelly wants, so that is what she is doing.

Best wishes on your upcoming nuptials, no matter what you decide to do. It is your and your future hub's choice. Period.

KDENISE977

I couldn't see in spending the money on it personally. We went to the courthouse and I got a $20k ring instead that I'll have forever !! Just me though. I didn't want to even be bothered with a wedding and the planning had zero appeal to me...:shrug: Considered a destination wedding, didn't even want to that after seeing the price of paying for something, that really meant nothing to me. We're married either way.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

Attachments

• Wedding vid.jpg
    Wedding vid.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 134

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I couldn't see in spending the money on it personally. We went to the courthouse and I got a $20k ring instead that I'll have forever !! Just me though. I didn't want to even be bothered with a wedding and the planning had zero appeal to me...:shrug: Considered a destination wedding, didn't even want to that after seeing the price of paying for something, that really meant nothing to me. We're married either way.

There was a time in my life when I went to a wedding every 3 -4 weeks for years. I've been to weddings that costs at least $50K, most likely more and they never lasted.

It is all in what a couple wants and the hell with what everyone else thinks. I had a garden wedding. It costs very little and it was what we wanted. Like you, I had zero desire to plan or go broke. We've been married 25 years this month. Our wedding isn't what got us to pull past the tough years and we had plenty of tough years. It was our willingness to grow together and our desire to stay together.

DEEKAYPEE8569

It depends on whether the couple wants to simply make it legal, or have a grand celebration of their union, if they or their families can afford it.
Again, I use my parents as examples. They would have been married 48 years this past November; but many of you know why that didn't happen.
They married in a courthouse in Mom's hometown in '66, then drove across country.

Last edited: