How do you get rid of snakes around your property?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just went out to put the truck away. Sitting in the grass right next to the driver's door was a 3 foot copperhead, almost stepped on it. Bare feet and shorts no less. Back to the garage, got a shovel, and cut it's head off.

There was a mole track with a snake-sized hole right there, so I guess it was hunting.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Couple weeks ago, I was planting and a small copperhead slithered right between my feet. I was so startled, I dropped the shovel and ran away screaming.

They are pretty much non aggressive and really won't bother you unless you step on them. Saying that, I'm with @Sneakers, a copperhead with its head separated from its body by the spade of a shovel is a good thing. And as an added benefit, their decomposing body makes great garden fertilizer.

The reason dogs sometimes get bit is becasue they are putting their nose where is doesn't belong. Ie. They get to close trying to sniff them when found.

What really scary about some highly venomous snakes, is some don't look like vipers at, all having a head that looks as narrow as their body. Thankfully none are in this area.

Just be glad we live in this area of Maryland. Up in western Maryland they have to deal with the Timber Rattlesnake, a pit viper cousin to the copperhead.

iStock-872957712-1024x683.jpg
shutterstock_1936548148.jpg

Though, many folks mistake the water snake for copperheads as they kinda look like one at first glance.

Nerodia_sipedonPCSL02111B1.jpg

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad
I almost stepped on this baby snake in my shop a couple weeks ago, which I believed to be a copperhead at the time. After reading the comments here about the yellow tail tip, maybe it was just a plain ole snake. Anywho, It's dead now. I put the milwaukee battery next to it to give perspective to size.

Baby Snake.jpg

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I almost stepped on this baby snake in my shop a couple weeks ago, which I believed to be a copperhead at the time. After reading the comments here about the yellow tail tip, maybe it was just a plain ole snake. Anywho, It's dead now. I put the milwaukee battery next to it to give perspective to size.

View attachment 177477
Considering how wide its head is, that looks venomous.

IMG_0656.jpeg

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sadly, the powers that be in Maryland consider all snakes to be endangered species and have criminalized killing them.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I have seen very few snakes in my yard, all but one have been Black Snakes. They kill and eat Cottonheads.
Only other one I've seen was a Worm Snake.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I left the beheaded snake where I killed it. Today I had some workmen (yes, workMEN, there were no ladies...) come in to trim and drop trees.

Shoulda seen them jump and yell when they stepped on it. :lmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I left the beheaded snake where I killed it. Today I had some workmen (yes, workMEN, there were no ladies...) come in to trim and drop trees.

Not a snake, but the baby squirrel on the porch. The delivery guys asked if it was real or a Halloween decoration. It was real, thanks to my black cat. 😂

TPD

the poor dad

I would have left your property immediately never to return! Bastage