How has the uranium thing hurt Bush's credibility?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SmallTown
Thats where you miss the point. Sure, it is one line, but it is hardly minor. Saying some one has uranium in an effort to build nukes brings a great deal more attention than had he said they were gathering old Ford parts to build a new mustang.

And yes. I have read the transcipt of the speech. I watched it live as well. And I know that upon hearing they bought uranium in an effort to build nukes, my ears perked up.
Well, you couldn't have paid too much attention as the term was "sought" not "bought".

demsformd

The thing that I see as dividing liberals from conservatives are the most is the role of government in economics and personal matters. I like government and I think that those handouts that you all hate and misrepresent do very much more good than bad for this nation. I also think that the state does have more of a role in the economy than most of you would like to think. And I am very much a civil libertarian but that extends to no gun control, etc.

Back to the issue at hand, I do not think that President Bush did this on purpose himself. But the fact remains that while it was only one line of a speech, it was a major point that the president used to sell this war back home. I mean suggesting that Hussein had nuclear warheads or the potential is pretty major.

You guys sound like Clinton apologists here except for Bush. (re: I always said that Clinton didn't really lie because he was using the definition of sexual relations as that of intercourse and not oral gratification). You guys are now saying that Bush didn't really lie because he said that British intelligence told him that this uranium matter had occurred. I recant my prior statement that this could constitute impeachment, I just let my partisan ideas get in the way. I would like to be consistent here and take the moral high road and dampen my partisan leaning (I mean after all I'm a very moderate Democrat, anti-gun control, for welfare reform, against a single-payer Medicare system).

That's what I got to say...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you two think the public got behind the war because of ONE line in the whole SotU, you're kidding yourselves. We already KNEW Saddam was gathering nuke parts - the UN Inspectors said so back when Clinton was President. Scott Ritter was going CRAZY over it - until he became a guest of the Iraqi government and got a job doing a propaganda video.

You two are such "live for the moment" types, I swear. It's like nothing ever happened before George Bush took the oath of office, then "suddenly" Iraq came into play. :duh:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Nice glossover SmallTown.....

You say you read the context of the speech several times, even watched it live.

Yet, it your latest response here, you have G.W. saying he has intelligence indicating Saddam BOUGHT uranium from S. Africa in an effort to bolster his own cause for going after Iraq.

YOU are scary SmallTown! YOU can't even get the facts right!

YOU can't get the facts right when they are presented fresh, first by me, then by vrai! They were right here on this thread.

I have seen this before, and son, you really need to clean it up.

Your credibility just dropped about 20 percentage points, and I, for one, will not support you for President of the EU. :biggrin:

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Nice glossover SmallTown.....

Originally posted by penncam
You say you read the context of the speech several times, even watched it live.

Yet, it your latest response here, you have G.W. saying he has intelligence indicating Saddam BOUGHT uranium from S. Africa in an effort to bolster his own cause for going after Iraq.

YOU are scary SmallTown! YOU can't even get the facts right!

YOU can't get the facts right when they are presented fresh, first by me, then by vrai! They were right here on this thread.

I have seen this before, and son, you really need to clean it up.

Your credibility just dropped about 20 percentage points, and I, for one, will not support you for President of the EU. :biggrin:

Penn,

You know. I sit at home every night just wondering what my credibilty rating on somd.com is... It eats away at my very being, the anguish I go through thinking people on somd.com wouldn't find me 100% credible. :rolleyes:
The nigerian reports were more that just saddam saying "Hey, we're thinking about building nuclear bombs. We're going to shop around for the best price, so give me your best quote and we'll get back to you later"

interesting info about how "well" the documents were forged.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/03/14/sprj.irq.documents/index.html