How is life in Southern Maryland

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Yeah, thought so. My parents moved to St. Mary's in 73. Of course, as I said earlier, my grandmother was born and raised in the 7th. Her maiden name was Dingy or Dingee, not sure of the exact spelling. I think she had brothers that worked in a boat building capacity in a marina somewhere in the 7th.

Wilbur and Leonard Dingee.. Leonard lived on Golden Thompson Road and Wilbur lived on River Springs Road. I know Leonard worked at Kopel's Marina for years. Not sure about Wilbur..

GregV814

its so damned crowded nobody comes here...We have Copperheads, american flag barns, infrastructure that is worthy of Millard Fillmore and mexican eateries....where you from Spamalicious??? Uranus?

glhs837

Power with Control
According to my wife you are still a come here.

So here's a puzzler.

I was born here in 1964 to parents neither of whom was from here. Moved away before I was 4 years old, didnt come back until 1993.

Difficulty - Tracing the family tree back, one of my ancestors was a plantation owner in Fairfax in the mid-1700s, was married in Prince Georges, and it looks like the first one of the name came over in the early 1700s.

Am I a "come here", or come back here ? :) Oddly enough, it does answer the question as to why I kept being told there were people who share my less than common name in various counties around here.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
So here's a puzzler.

I was born here in 1964 to parents neither of whom was from here. Moved away before I was 4 years old, didnt come back until 1993.

Difficulty - Tracing the family tree back, one of my ancestors was a plantation owner in Fairfax in the mid-1700s, was married in Prince Georges, and it looks like the first one of the name came over in the early 1700s.

Am I a "come here", or come back here ? :) Oddly enough, it does answer the question as to why I kept being told there were people who share my less than common name in various counties around here.
Not sure.

My dad was stationed here in the US Navy in the early 60's and we spent 3 (4) years here. My sister was born at PAX. We moved away until 1974 and I finsihed HS here. I married (had Thing1 at PAX) and moved away in 1994. I moved back with my 2 boys in 2005.

MY interesting find along the way, which I only found out after my dad passed -was when his cousin in Ohio passed along her genealogy information to the family. Dad was born & raised in Akron, Ohio. (Until he enlisted in the Navy and he never moved back) His mother's side of the family migrated to Ohio by way of West Virginia. Before that they migrated northward from the King George area of VA. Before that, we have traced 1 family back to Southern Maryland. (So this was my paternal grandmother's Father's mother's side of her family)

So my father was drawn back southern Maryland after his first Tour of Duty here in 1962. I'm still considered a transplant, I guess. :lol:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My father was born in Oakley, moved to NOVA after the war, and returned to 7D after retiring from the Fed Gov't in the early 70s. I was considered a come downer. With a sarcastic attitude, smart mouth, and an inability to keep my thoughts to myself, I never was really accepted by the locals of the Greatest Generation. As the population aged and/or passed, I was more accepted because of my "county" surname. Now I get by on my charm, good looks, and humility.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Up in northern New England folks are considered "From Away" until there are at least 7 generations in the local burying ground.
I'm 11th generation born there.

My wife and I are definitely From Away to Southern Maryland.
Heck, had no idea this place existed before the Missus got the job with NAVAIR.

While we like the area (outside of the invasive elements), will likely be moving near friends in southwest New Hampshire when my wife decides to retire.