How is today's republican party different than before?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This guy is smoking drugs.

Today many people are rightly concerned about our precious individual freedoms, our privacy, the basis of our democracy. Of course we must fight terrorism, but have we irresponsibly gone overboard in doing so? I wonder. In 1960, President Eisenhower told the Republican convention, “If ever we put any other value above (our) liberty, and above principle, we shall lose both.” I would appreciate hearing such warnings from the Republican Party of today.
Bush has said that repeatedly.

Sen. Kerry, in whom I am willing to place my trust, has demonstrated that he is courageous, sober, competent, and concerned with fighting the dangers associated with the widening socio-economic gap in this country. I will vote for him enthusiastically.

Does anyone else laugh at the disingenuineness of this comment supporting one of the richest men in the Senate, owner of 5 or 6 mansions and marryer of two incredibly wealthy women?

B

Bruzilla

"As son of a Republican President, Dwight D. Eisenhower, it is automatically expected by many that I am a Republican." It is also expected that you'll have the same mental capabilities as your Dad, but he's an acorn that fell far from that tree.

"To me, the word “Republican” has always been synonymous with the word “responsibility,” which has meant limiting our governmental obligations to those we can afford in human and financial terms. Today’s whopping budget deficit of some $440 billion does not meet that criterion." I find myself agreeing with this, except for one thing: how can you fight the war on terror on the cheap? How can you implement homeland security on the cheap? The same way his Dad couldn't fight WWII on the cheap. I agree that the prescription drug deal was a waste, but I don't see how you can do everything that's occurred since 9/11 without growing the budget.

"America, though recognized as the leader of the community of nations, has always acted as a part of it, not as a maverick separate from that community and at times insulting towards it." When his Dad was President, the World was a much different place. Before the Global economy you had countries that worked hard to be "stand-alone" as much as possible. Now, the economies of many countries are highly dependent on other countries for their cash flow, so they are much more limited as to what they can do without offending their cash cows. Countries like France and Germany sell far more arms than they use themselves, and make billions in hard cash from it. They accept what amounts to bribes from Dictators to turn the other way when atrocities occur. You can't charge that Republicans have changed without acknowledging that the World has changed also.

"In the Middle East crisis of 1991, President George H.W. Bush marshaled world opinion through the United Nations before employing military force to free Kuwait from Saddam Hussein. Through negotiation he arranged for the action to be financed by all the industrialized nations, not just the United States." He apparently forgot that the Soviet Union collapsed in 1992, and that when that happened the Soviets quit supplying free arms and supplies to Iraq. Remember the Soviet Union? They were the folks who opposed Desert Storm because Hussein was in bed with them. When the Soviets collapsed, and wanted to be paid for their support, who rushed in to fill the void? France and Germany... and who opposed the current war? You can't equate Desert Storm and the Iraq War as different people were in bed with Hussein. The only thing that was the same was the actions of our "friends" - they vote with their wallets.

The rest of the piece is just Democrat talking points and not worth wasting time commenting on.