How long is too long

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
for a cold to last? Stupid question I know, but the last time I had a cold it was one-two days and I was on the way to recovery. I've had this cold since last Monday evening.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
1 second...

...is too long.

If you floss, every night, you will never, ever get a cold again as long as you live.

:yahoo:

SoMDGirl42

for a cold to last? Stupid question I know, but the last time I had a cold it was one-two days and I was on the way to recovery. I've had this cold since last Monday evening.

Are you still taking a decongestant? If not, start taking some zyrtec. Chances are you have post nasal drip causing you to cough. Unless of course you have a productive cough. If you have a productive cough lasting this long, you may have bronchitis and may need to see a doctor.

Radiant1

Soul Probe

I think the general rule of thumb is one week. Anything after that and it's assumed you picked up a secondary infection which is usually bacterial and needs antibiotics. If it's allergies then conceivably there is no time period for symptoms. :shrug:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Is your snot any particular color?
Still clear, but I sure do have a LOT of it. Is it possible for snot to come out your ears? :confused:

Are you still taking a decongestant? If not, start taking some zyrtec. Chances are you have post nasal drip causing you to cough. Unless of course you have a productive cough. If you have a productive cough lasting this long, you may have bronchitis and may need to see a doctor.

I had to look up "productive cough". :stupid: and that's why I :love: you.

No, I am not being productive in my coughing other than aggravating everyone around me. I'll pick up some zyrtec on the way home. Thanks. :huggy:

dn0121

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

migtig said:

I've had one for about 3 weeks my gf for a month and a half. we kept giving it back and forth. I was on antibiotics and she wasn't. now we both are and its going away. symptoms are nasal congestion, cough, and sometimes it changes to runny nose with sore throat. with my allery meds I'm now on 4 pills a day!

T

toppick08

Still clear, but I sure do have a LOT of it. Is it possible for snot to come out your ears? :confused:

No, I am not being productive in my coughing other than aggravating everyone around me. I'll pick up some zyrtec on the way home. Thanks. :huggy:

Don't forget lots of chicken soup...:yay:

Clear for that long makes me think it's an allergic trigger continously setting you off. If zyrtec doesn't work for you then try Claritin or some other extended-release allergy tablet with a different ingredient. One may work for you where others won't.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Clear for that long makes me think it's an allergic trigger continously setting you off. If zyrtec doesn't work for you then try Claritin or some other extended-release allergy tablet with a different ingredient. One may work for you where others won't.

Thanks Kwillia. :flowers:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member

Maybe she's allergic to coyotes. :frown:

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus

I'd say if you're not running a fever or hacking up colored mucas to let it run its course.
Then again I don't run to a doctor unless a limb is falling off..

Feel better :huggy:

SoMDGirl42

Sorry 'bout that. I sometimes forget to use laymans terms. Next time I'll say, if you're hocking up loogies that are green or yellow, see a doctor.

ICiT has been dealing with the same issue. As usual she called Dr. SMG42 for advice. She finally slept last night for the first time without trying to cough up her lung. :diva: I sometimes think that if I had persued my dream of being a doctor, I would be a millionaire by now. :shrug:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'd say if you're not running a fever or hacking up colored mucas to let it run its course.
Then again I don't run to a doctor unless a limb is falling off..

Feel better :huggy:

I actually wanted that opinion to be validated. I don't want to go to the doctor.