How To Behave At School Events

H

HouseCat

In view of last nights events at the All County Choir concert, I've decided to post an informational guide for those of you who may not know how to act at your children's concerts and events. There are no doubt a lot more performances coming up, so now is your chance to learn how to act at such events with dignity before you embarrass yourself and your kids.

#1. If the handout or playbill has instructions on how to act, FOLLOW THEM. They're there so everyone can enjoy the show. They apply to YOU.. YOU are no exception. I don't care if you have to have that close-up picture of your precious flower... you're being an idiot if you break them, so behave.

#2. Sit your fat a$$ down. I don't care if your hip hurts. Standing through the entire intermission so your ornately large ass is in our faces is extremely rude. I understand if you need to stretch, so do it and then sit the heck back down, Jabba. We didn't need to see that you wear 44/30 in Wranglers, but we did.

#3. SHUT THE FECK UP. It must be some sort of joke from Mother Nature to make sure that the people with the loudest voices which carry for miles to be the idiots who can't STFU for 5 seconds. Whisper if you must, but be mindful of others around you and know that we don't want to hear all of the BS that happened to you during the last week. That goes for rustling your papers, digging in your purse, fiddling around with miscellaneous crap and keeping your misbehaving delinquints in line as well.

#4. Don't grab the coat that's been sitting in the closet filled with mothballs, Grandma. Please... I almost went into convulsions last night when you sat down next to me. You were nice and I enjoyed the idle chit-chat, but I had to take Benadryl last night for Hives from sitting next to you. That, and moth balls are so 1960s... wtf. At least spray some White Diamonds or Charlie on that mess before you go out.

#5. A chorus/orchestra/play concert is not the same as a rock concert. You are not supposed to hoot and holler, "Go Jesseeee!" like Jesse is up to bat, or at the 5 yard line about to make a touchdown. Jesse is trying to sing and your redneck/hillbilly distractions are irritating to the other civilized folks trying to enjoy this event. Not to mention, Jesse is now scarred for life due to embarrassment of your behavior.

#6. Turn your MF cell phone and iTunes games off when the lights go down and the concert begins. If you didn't want to go to the concert, sit in your stupid truck and wait till it is over. Lastly, do your kids a favor and let someone else adopt them who will give them the undivided respect and attention they deserve during their performance.

#7. Standing up and waving to get the attention of your child is really idiotic and disrespectful to the other parents sitting down behind you. Are you suffering from separation anxiety so much that you can't wait an hour for your child to see you? They know you're going to be in the audience. They're trying to concentrate on their performance, and/or not trip on the steps and you're hollering like a damn banshee to get their attention. STFU and sit down Bubba.

#8. Wearing sweat pants and a stained T-shirt to a concert is a great way to show your kid how to dress for formal events-NOT! Put on some jeans and a nice, clean T-shirt at least. WTF... you're not running into Walmart to get TP and light bulbs, you're at your kid's concert. Show that you have some inkling of self respect and dignity next time.

#9. If you have some sort of illness that is going to attract undesirable attention to you during the performance, it's probably a good idea to stay home. Little Susie will understand and no doubt doesn't want to hear you gagging on the buzzard dumplings that you're coughing up during the performance. I don't want the Plague either, so make arrangements for someone to get the concert DVD and sit this one out. You won't lose any parenting points if you're really sick.

#10. Don't bring a screaming baby in to a concert! Take that thing out in the hall if it's colicky or needs a diaper changed. Again.. you won't lose parenting points, and everyone will appreciate the quiet. The longer you keep it in the concert disturbing the peace, the more I'm hoping it throws up in your hair and squirts a juicy, mustard-poop down your nice coat.

Have a great Holiday and behave your selves.

onel0126

Bead mumbler
Most on this list should apply to High School graduations as well. They have gone completely ghetto. And before some complains, ghetto can apply to ALL races!

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
I almost went into convulsions last night when you sat down next to me.

Just think, had this happened your list would've been much shorter, then someone else would've made a thread about inconsiderate people having seizures during a school event. :lol:

Nanny Pam

So sorry I was bad. It won't happen again, housecat.
:bawl: Didn't you know that those of us with our "ornately large asses" are sensitive.

ciwmj

This should definitely be a handout to all parents coming to school concerts. :lol:

From the discription of what these folks do ,it may not work to do a handout. These people most likely cannot read.
I have noted that social graces are no longer taught.People have no respect for themselves,and don't care about anyone else.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
A for effort and intent.
D for delivery.

Your message is spot on but the delivery is lacking. All of your suggestions have merit and are good ones. Using the "cutesy" / derogatory comments, however, backfires as it puts the focus of attention onto negative insults instead of onto your suggestions, which should be the focus of your message.

From the tone of your post, I am concluding that you did not have a good time and were not able to enjoy the concert that your child participated in recently. I can empathize with you as I've had similar experiences although not all of those things happened at one performance. I trust that on the way home, your focus was on how wonderful your child performed and not on how badly the audience behaved, lest your child not want to attend another performance so they wouldn't have to listen to you complain about others and could only bask in the light of your approval for a job well done on the way home.

As we approach Thanksgiving and the up-coming Christmas season, may we all be thankful that the children in that performance had parents and relatives who cared enough or were physically able to show up to show their support, no matter their appearance, health condition, or lack of concern for others. There are so many children who don't have that caring in their lives. May we also approach such outings with a spirit of forgiveness and make allowances for others who may be dealing with problems that we are not aware of in their lives.

I suggest a re-write of your wonderful guidelines, without the attending snarkiness. It might help a few remember that we also try to teach consideration for others. I thank you for caring enough to post these rules in the first place. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday and hug that child again for performing in a public venue! Kudos to you for making the time to attend the performance!

bcp

In My Opinion
You need to add a rule on perfume
Some people have allergies to the stench that comes from your bottles, If you stink, take a shower. If you spill the whole damn $2.99 per gallon bottle of stank on you, take a shower before leaving your home.
Old women, your nose is getting weak, not the perfume, do not add more until you can smell it, doing so will result in deaths around you as you deplete the oxygen in the room. Under no circumstance are you to hug anyone after your hygene accident, this only transfers the stench and forces them to sniff you long after you have gone.

Men with aftershave, Please follow the same rules, and do not offer to shake hands if you apply aftershave, I dont wear it because I dont like it. I certainly do not want to walk around smelling you on my hands the rest of the night.

Vince

From the discription of what these folks do ,it may not work to do a handout. These people most likely cannot read.
I have noted that social graces are no longer taught.People have no respect for themselves,and don't care about anyone else.
Just think, they pass these traits on to their children. :doh:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
So, my outlook on your post, is that you're a city slicking racist, who doesn't like country bumpkin people. With all your hillbilly/redneck, bubba references, as well as jabbing on someones wranglers and sweat pants..

I think you should consider moving to get away :yay:

dave1959

In view of last nights events at the All County Choir concert, I've decided to post an informational guide for those of you who may not know how to act at your children's concerts and events. There are no doubt a lot more performances coming up, so now is your chance to learn how to act at such events with dignity before you embarrass yourself and your kids.

#1. If the handout or playbill has instructions on how to act, FOLLOW THEM. They're there so everyone can enjoy the show. They apply to YOU.. YOU are no exception. I don't care if you have to have that close-up picture of your precious flower... you're being an idiot if you break them, so behave.

#2. Sit your fat a$$ down. I don't care if your hip hurts. Standing through the entire intermission so your ornately large ass is in our faces is extremely rude. I understand if you need to stretch, so do it and then sit the heck back down, Jabba. We didn't need to see that you wear 44/30 in Wranglers, but we did.

#3. SHUT THE FECK UP. It must be some sort of joke from Mother Nature to make sure that the people with the loudest voices which carry for miles to be the idiots who can't STFU for 5 seconds. Whisper if you must, but be mindful of others around you and know that we don't want to hear all of the BS that happened to you during the last week. That goes for rustling your papers, digging in your purse, fiddling around with miscellaneous crap and keeping your misbehaving delinquints in line as well.

#4. Don't grab the coat that's been sitting in the closet filled with mothballs, Grandma. Please... I almost went into convulsions last night when you sat down next to me. You were nice and I enjoyed the idle chit-chat, but I had to take Benadryl last night for Hives from sitting next to you. That, and moth balls are so 1960s... wtf. At least spray some White Diamonds or Charlie on that mess before you go out.

#5. A chorus/orchestra/play concert is not the same as a rock concert. You are not supposed to hoot and holler, "Go Jesseeee!" like Jesse is up to bat, or at the 5 yard line about to make a touchdown. Jesse is trying to sing and your redneck/hillbilly distractions are irritating to the other civilized folks trying to enjoy this event. Not to mention, Jesse is now scarred for life due to embarrassment of your behavior.

#6. Turn your MF cell phone and iTunes games off when the lights go down and the concert begins. If you didn't want to go to the concert, sit in your stupid truck and wait till it is over. Lastly, do your kids a favor and let someone else adopt them who will give them the undivided respect and attention they deserve during their performance.

#7. Standing up and waving to get the attention of your child is really idiotic and disrespectful to the other parents sitting down behind you. Are you suffering from separation anxiety so much that you can't wait an hour for your child to see you? They know you're going to be in the audience. They're trying to concentrate on their performance, and/or not trip on the steps and you're hollering like a damn banshee to get their attention. STFU and sit down Bubba.

#8. Wearing sweat pants and a stained T-shirt to a concert is a great way to show your kid how to dress for formal events-NOT! Put on some jeans and a nice, clean T-shirt at least. WTF... you're not running into Walmart to get TP and light bulbs, you're at your kid's concert. Show that you have some inkling of self respect and dignity next time.

#9. If you have some sort of illness that is going to attract undesirable attention to you during the performance, it's probably a good idea to stay home. Little Susie will understand and no doubt doesn't want to hear you gagging on the buzzard dumplings that you're coughing up during the performance. I don't want the Plague either, so make arrangements for someone to get the concert DVD and sit this one out. You won't lose any parenting points if you're really sick.

#10. Don't bring a screaming baby in to a concert! Take that thing out in the hall if it's colicky or needs a diaper changed. Again.. you won't lose parenting points, and everyone will appreciate the quiet. The longer you keep it in the concert disturbing the peace, the more I'm hoping it throws up in your hair and squirts a juicy, mustard-poop down your nice coat.

:yeahthat: and just another 10 reasons I am sooooo glad I am done with kids in school..

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I must be totally different than other people.

None of that really bothers me :shrug: not enough to have such ire, anyway. I am not fond of smelling other people, but that's life. Work in a hospital for a shift, you will appreciate that the people beside you are only wearing moth balls :killingme. I get annoyed when people block my view of things. I try to switch seats with someone taller, or move seats, stand on the side, or ask them if they could please (take off hat, move slightly to the right etc etc) I don't care what other people wear, and if they hollar once or twice for their fam member, I am ok with that. Constant yelling would be annoying, but in the tons of performances I have been in, and sat through, ive never experienced that or for that matter, most of what was posted. It's really only occasionally that I happened upon someone who was truely rude..most of the time it was an audience of proud parents :shrug: I can't wait to go see monster in something, no matter what the person next to me smells like.

actually, school performances were almost always perfectly fine experiences. I DID get kicked by an old bitty at wolftrap, once, though. thats a diff story entirely :killingme

Hoover

You are taking all the fun out of going to these events. I only go to watch the people. BCP from now on I will only shop for my stinkie parfume' in the $3.00 and up isle so I dont offend. Or should I just go out like Gus and CoCo and rub on the latest in yard? LOL. OMG people again stop worrying about OTHER people and worry about your own self.

InsanelyBusy

Have been reading the posts about that school function. All I can say is "wow" at whoever the person was who was beyond disruptive.

Our child is grown, but all that reading brought back one memory while at a Holiday choir program.

During our kid's involvement with a Hallelujah Chorus performance, a parent held up their bic lighter, just like at a rock n Roll concert.
I thought I would croak, very difficult to hold in my laughter at their action.

....at least they didn't yell though, and embarrasss themselves, and their kid.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Come on people, lighten up! The OP's post was very tongue-in-cheek-y but it got the point across. And seriously, anyone who wears sweats and a dirty t-shirt to a school function that does not involve manual labor deserves criticism. IMO.