How to Spot 12 Types of Media Bias

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Journalism is tied to a set of ethical standards and values, including truth and accuracy, fairness and impartiality, and accountability. However, journalism today often strays from objective fact; the result is biased news. Bias isn't necessarily a bad thing, but hidden media bias misleads, manipulates and divides us. This is why AllSides provides hundreds of media bias ratings, a balanced newsfeed, the AllSides Media Bias Chart™, and the AllSides Fact Check Bias Chart™.

72 percent of Americans believe traditional news sources report fake news, falsehoods, or content that is purposely misleading. With trust in media declining, media consumers must learn how to spot types of media bias.

This page outlines 12 types of media bias, along with examples of their use in popular media outlets. Download this page as a PDF, and don't forget to check out the 14 types of ideological bias.

herb749

Its not so much bias in some stories its the hiding of facts. How many times now is the race of a criminal hidden to keep people from knowing what they may already know. Unless the news shows a photo we have no idea until its leaked out by other sources.

CPUSA

I don't know ia anyone else has noticed, but most TV news stations have turned dark.
Even the weather girls are now dark. What happened to white folks doing the news?
Damn Al Roker & Bryant Gumble!!
And what's up with WBAL and that Winfrey woman?
Did you notice if you rearranged the letters of her first name, it spells Harpo?

I'll tell ya, if we don't stop them darkies NOW from believing they're equal...they just might become EQUALS to The White Man one day!!...

SamSpade

Its not so much bias in some stories its the hiding of facts. How many times now is the race of a criminal hidden to keep people from knowing what they may already know. Unless the news shows a photo we have no idea until its leaked out by other sources.
In the old Soviet Union, the Russians were so accustomed to being lied to, they knew how to "interpret" the news. One story I recall was a Russian, upon reading of a plane crash in the West, sighed and said "I guess one of OURS crashed recently". And others with him would agree.

I can almost always correctly assume that if race is not mentioned as part of a violent crime, it's a race the writer does wish to disclose. Over the last year or so - I can usually count on any publication mentioning an attack on Asians as usually perpetrated by African Americans, although TV shows and movies make it sound like that's not the case.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You used to be able to believe what you see and hear yourself but now the news people clip and edit things, then tell you what you're seeing even though that's not at all what's happening. The Covington incident, for example. The Rittenhouse thing. And those are just everyday people, not even celebrities or politicians. Nick Sandmann, they literally picked him at random to destroy for no apparent reason.

This is the one and only reason why Twitter is awesome: you can see these people themselves in their own words. Nobody polishing them, nobody putting words in their mouth. It's all them. And once you see, say, Jim Acosta spew invective and lies and ignorance in his own words with no polishing or editing, you know him for what he is and you'll never trust him again.

Opinion people - meh, one should expect bias from them because, well, opinion. But Acosta, for example, is supposed to be straight news and yet he is extraordinarily biased and propaganda spewing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But Acosta, for example, is supposed to be straight news and yet he is extraordinarily biased and propaganda spewing.

Transporter CONSTANLTY Post AP Stories - that were OBVIOUSLY OPINION Pieces as Hard News Fact

AP of all organizations should just REPORTING FACTS has fallen down the rabbit of posting Opinion as Fact

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
9 Logical Fallacies Used by Opinion Writers

If you're into politics, media or policy, then you've surely come across opinion websites and articles. While some are better written and more convincing than others, they all share the common aim of convincing the reader of their viewpoint — but they often do this by appealing to logical fallacies.

Even though opinion pieces by their very nature are subjective, they usually report on factual incidents and influence a lot of people. However, not all opinions are created equal. In fact, many of them use logical fallacies to arrive at their conclusions and convince their audience.
Here are some of the most common fallacies used by opinion writers.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
they all share the common aim of convincing the reader of their viewpoint — but they often do this by appealing to logical fallacies.

My biggest problem is when so-called educators do this. I had a Composition and Rhetoric (!) prof who was completely absorbed in logical fallacies, and he didn't even seem to realize it.

Hijinx

Damn Al Roker & Bryant Gumble!!
And what's up with WBAL and that Winfrey woman?
Did you notice if you rearranged the letters of her first name, it spells Harpo?

I'll tell ya, if we don't stop them darkies NOW from believing they're equal...they just might become EQUALS to The White Man one day!!...

They are equal today. No one said any different. Just noticing how Commercials and the News have gone dark.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just noticing how Commercials and the News have gone dark.

They're overcompensating for their decades of white outs.

Seriously.

Nobody is more racist than Democrats, and they control Hollywood and appear to control corporate America as well. Now they're busted out and having a "See us liking black people??" moment. And they do that by being patronizing and offensive because they don't know how to relate to POC like normal human beings.

Hijinx

A few days ago I spoke about how people in the entertainment industry went virtue signaling, and made angry many of the people who supported them. About how stupid it was to anger these people who were their livelihood.
Is it possible that politicians are doing the same thing.
Brown nosing ---(no pun intended)-- blacks at the expense of their white voters.
Is the Democrat party thinking that they can stay in the majority by giving up on the white people and catering to blacks, illegals , Hispanics, Muslims, the New York style American Jews, and the criminal element in our country?