How you can survive in Maryland working only 28 hours a week at minimum wage

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
My aunt lives alone, gets $1100 in disability and only gets a small amount of food stamps. I don't remember exactly, but it is under $50.

There are many variables which could impact the benefit amount. In my post above, it was assumed the rent was $500/month. For example, if you pay no rent and no utilities, you would only receive approx. $16 in SNAP benefits with an income of $990/month.

PeoplesElbow

Who pays $200/month for car insurance? Maybe $100 max. If you're paying that much, look elsewhere.

Yea that, I have two vehicles, fairly new with collision and pay a bit over $100/month.

While we are on the subject of vehicles, I spent the morning cleaning the interior, washing, clay baring, polishing and waxing my car. If I paid someone to do all of this it would have easily been $250. If I ever unexpectedly loose my job I may do that until I find another.

Last edited:

Clem72

Some general thoughts...

*at that level of income no or VERY little federal tax would be owed...
* where'd they get the money for a car?
*where do they get the money to fix and/or maintain the car? (they aren't buying new...on this income you are driving a sh!tbox that will breakdown, need oil changes and tires)
*I do not believe there is any way in hell to live on $40 a month for food
*A room for $500? Where do you cook?

Your general point is valid...it is possible to live on relatively very little income...however, as you point out, this is a very tenuous existence...one relatively small additional expense and you are behind the 8 ball...one larger expense (new tires or a illness) and you are done economically.

More importantly, $200/mo is more than I pay for full coverage from Eerie on my 2016 F-150.

SamSpade

Please tell me you use Fuji water instead of tap for that extra touch of snooty...:drama:

Meh - we season our noodles and add scallions and stuff, there's no way you could tell it from the expensive stuff.
You'd have to be a world class chef to tell.

SamSpade

More importantly, $200/mo is more than I pay for full coverage from Eerie on my 2016 F-150.

Yep - I pay around 80-90 for two old cars, but I also have home owner's insurance and a clean driving record, so there's that.

STILL think I'm paying too much.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Meh - we season our noodles and add scallions and stuff, there's no way you could tell it from the expensive stuff.
You'd have to be a world class chef to tell.

I disagree. The noodles themselves are different. The grocery store stuff is mushy and pasty; pay an extra fiddycent and NOW you have some fine soup.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I disagree. The noodles themselves are different. The grocery store stuff is mushy and pasty; pay an extra fiddycent and NOW you have some fine soup.

And while the noodles and water is boiling just before taking it off the stove, pour in a scrambled egg and stir till cooked. Now that's a zesty treat. Got some protein with those carbs.

rmorse

*A room for $500? Where do you cook?

I'm saving to buy my second rental; I moved up to the DC area. I'm living in Beltsville and renting out a room for $600 a month; this includes all utilities. It's temporary but it's allowing me to bank a lot of cash while looking for another house.

As far as where I cook, I use the kitchen. I #### in the bathroom and I sit in the living room. Have you never had roommates before?

Last edited:

Restitution

Who pays $200/month for car insurance? Maybe $100 max. If you're paying that much, look elsewhere.

I have 3 vehicles and its not that much month .... but I am over 50

Yea that, I have two vehicles, fairly new with collision and pay a bit over $100/month.

Yep - I pay around 80-90 for two old cars, but I also have home owner's insurance and a clean driving record, so there's that.

STILL think I'm paying too much.

Now... all of you raise your hand if you have been under the age of 25 in the last 15-20 years.

Nobody??? Thought so!

This is what it costs most times to insure a male driver under the age of 25.

black dog

Free America
Now... all of you raise your hand if you have been under the age of 25 in the last 15-20 years.

Nobody??? Thought so!

This is what it costs most times to insure a male driver under the age of 25.

My soon to be 18 year old is driving a 8 to 10 grand truck and on my policy it's well under 100 a month. Now if he pisses off the daddy money tree that will change for sure.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My soon to be 18 year old is driving a 8 to 10 grand truck and on my policy it's well under 100 a month. Now if he pisses off the daddy money tree that will change for sure.

Yep. My 18-year-old went on the road in one of my Broncos for $90 a month.