HOYER: NEWSLETTER: The Child Tax Credit Will Help Maryland Families

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
A MESSAGE FROM CONGRESSMAN HOYER

The COVID-19 pandemic has been incredibly difficult for many Marylanders. With school closings and economic challenges, families with children have been hit especially hard. I heard the frustrations from hardworking Marylanders such as yourself who felt they were left out of previous COVID-19 relief. With you in mind, I worked with President Biden and my colleagues to find solutions.

I am glad to announce that beginning on July 15, the first installment of automatic direct payments of the Child Tax Credit was sent to most Maryland families. Provided through the American Rescue Plan, the newly enhanced Child Tax Credit will help households like yours meet your day-to-day needs as our economy reopens and we continue to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.

The enhanced Child Tax Credit will provide up to $3,600 total for each child under 6 and $3,000 total for each child between ages 6 and 17 per year. Eligible families can receive $300 per child under age 6 and $250 per child from ages 6 to 17, and payments will be dispersed monthly through the end of the year. Single parents making up to $75,000 and filing their taxes as individuals, those filing as heads of household making up to $112,500, and married joint filers making up to $150,000 a year are eligible for these monthly automatic installment payments.

In most cases, no action is required by parents to receive these payments. Families that don’t usually file tax returns can now register for the Child Tax Credit and update important information by clicking HERE. Any money not received through December of this year can be claimed when filing tax returns in 2022.

This assistance will lift thousands of children in Maryland out of poverty and set working families on a strong economic path. For these reasons, I was proud to support the expansion of the Child Tax Credit in the American Rescue Plan, and I will continue to fight for economic policies for families that help more Marylanders get ahead during this difficult time.

As always, I encourage all Fifth District residents to continue to share their concerns and insights with me by contacting my office or connecting with me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. If you are experiencing a personal difficulty such as issues accessing the Child Tax Credit or another problem regarding a federal agency and you wish for my office to place an inquiry on your behalf, please complete the casework request form by clicking here.

Sincerely Yours,

Steny H. Hoyer

Last edited by a moderator: