Humming vibrating sound in house

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I've had this happen, turned out it was the door bell box thingy going bad... you know the box that hangs on the wall. Ours is on the ceiling and it does it from time to time.

Same thing here. It was intermittent and for the longest time it seemed like I was the only one in the house (along with the dogs) at those times to hear it. It was driving me bonkers. :banghead: I had no idea a doorbell did that. The giant finally heard it and replaced the doorbell box. Once he replaced it, I was surprised by how quiet the house became and realized that thing had been emitting a low level noise the entire time it was going bad.

kickstand

De omnibus dubitandum est
One of these maybe?

Attachments

• wotwdefense__span.jpg
    wotwdefense__span.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 291

TerriT

For the past week I've been having a strange constant humming vibrating pulsing sound in my house that I can't figure out where its coming from. Sorta sounds like a generator running. The sound is not coming from outside and only noticeable inside. I've checked all my appliances, furnace, pipes, turned the electric off but the sound still persists. Any idea of what it might be? Who should I call to help find it? My first thought was an Electrician but as I said the sound remained even when I turned the power off which makes me think it's not electrical although it sounds like it may be. It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out!!:banghead:

Wife's top night stand drawer? :hot:

GregV814

that Kenyan is up to no good I tell ya.....Chris Matthews knows the truth and broadcasts his insane ramblings between 2-4:15 am. Listen carefully. Its comes in clear if you wear his tinfoil hat.....

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
For the past week I've been having a strange constant humming vibrating pulsing sound in my house that I can't figure out where its coming from. Sorta sounds like a generator running. The sound is not coming from outside and only noticeable inside. I've checked all my appliances, furnace, pipes, turned the electric off but the sound still persists. Any idea of what it might be? Who should I call to help find it? My first thought was an Electrician but as I said the sound remained even when I turned the power off which makes me think it's not electrical although it sounds like it may be. It's driving me crazy trying to figure it out!!:banghead:

Do you have a turbine style attic vent, it's unpowered so turning off the power wouldn't effect it.

Vince

Okay, so you turned off all power to your home and still hear the noise. Could it be a pump on your well or septic?

That was my first thought. Ours does and so does the tank (not hot water heater, but can't think of the name right now) in our basement. It's so annoying.
If all power is off the deep well pump doesn't run and unless he's pumping sewage below the level of the septic tank, there is no pump for that.

zeerex99

I had an attic ventilation fan that loosened from it's mount. Hummed, rattled etc. Tightened it up and problem solved. I'm keying on the "humming". Almost sounds like a motor loose or out of balance somewhere.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Do you have problems with flooding or standing water in the crawlspace? Do you know if there's already a pump with a pressure switch; or did you place a similar pump there and just forgot about it? We have one. When it kicks on, it can be heard through the floor, whoever hears the hum first asks, 'What's that humming noise?" "[Oh yeah].....it's the pump under the house."
Like zeerex said too; if you have an attic fan; that might be the culprit too.

Stew

I've only been in my house a few years and have never been in the attic; don't know if it has a fan or not. If it does, would it come on automatically?

DEEKAYPEE8569

I've only been in my house a few years and have never been in the attic; don't know if it has a fan or not. If it does, would it come on automatically?
I'm pretty sure there are thermostatically controlled fans out there. Either that, or Dad built the one we have. I've never fiddled with it so I don't know if there's any adjustability or there's a standard pre-set, but apparently, when temps get to a certain point, the fan starts. Also, there are two attic vents; what I call "Whirlly (SP?) birds;" and louvered vents on each end of the attic. It still gets hot up there in the summer, but the air does circulate somewhat.

Chris0nllyn

There are powered and unpowered fans. You'd see large metal circular vanes on the roof top if you had the non-powered ones.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Stew, what you need is somebody who can hear a gnat sneeze at 50 yards; like me; but not me of course, to help you find the offending noise.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
where approx do you live, Calvert side? Right now they are boring under 4 by solomons fire house, they also are working up at LNG plant with possible boring under ground, their also along west side of 4 at cove point rd.. Big 6 ft bores could be casuing vib in gorund transmitting to house, my guess...

PsyOps

Pixelated

Do you live in a townhouse or detached? Have you gone to your neighbors and asked if they hear/feel it? You say you turned all the power off to your house and it still persists?