Hunting Club

OysterToad

Will you be a land owner leasing to a club, or will you be both the landowner and club President?

Cost-wise, what are you thinking?

I assume it's dependent on the number of members? Personally, I'd rather pay more for a lease with less people.

What about meetings and such?

I will probably be the landowner or leasehold owner. I do not want to be president of the club, but I will be a member with some friends and family.
It has to be a member run club.
As in all businesses it has to pay its own expenses.

Cost wise, that's a point I need to come to grips with.
My plan is, if I get enough interested people, I will have a social gathering on the property and let them figure out what it is worth to have a 250 acre hunting club, where you can bring your kids and a guest or two with a nice club house, RV parking , deer, turkey, ducks, geese and released quail and pheasant. As Giilgan stated..the biggest expense might be maintence on the Gators and skiffs.
Please understand, this is all in the planning stage

Chris0nllyn

I will probably be the landowner or leasehold owner. I do not want to be president of the club, but I will be a member with some friends and family.
It has to be a member run club.
As in all businesses it has to pay its own expenses.

Cost wise, that's a point I need to come to grips with.
My plan is, if I get enough interested people, I will have a social gathering on the property and let them figure out what it is worth to have a 250 acre hunting club, where you can bring your kids and a guest or two with a nice club house, RV parking , deer, turkey, ducks, geese and released quail and pheasant. As Giilgan stated..the biggest expense might be maintence on the Gators and skiffs.
Please understand, this is all in the planning stage

Thanks for your response.

I understand as far as planning. Best of luck with everything, and keep us updated!

Browndog

5-6 would be a good number for 250 acres
If there is no waterfront for sure. You can spread out a bit with 2 -3 groups if you've for some waterfront to put a blind on and a field pit/blind.
Do you know of any waterfowl clubs in St. Marys Co.?

Kinnakeet

If there is no waterfront for sure. You can spread out a bit with 2 -3 groups if you've for some waterfront to put a blind on and a field pit/blind.
Do you know of any waterfowl clubs in St. Marys Co.?
No I tend to stay away from clubs to many hunters try to claim the woods 250 acres with 5-6 people wood be good that way those hunters would have plenty of room to roam. I dont duck hunt as I have never had a duck/goose that I liked, same with turkey,I just stick to Deer hunting and maybe Squirrel.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
When I lived in northern Illinois, 4 of us had permission on a 1280 acre farm, half of which was woodlots interspersed in his corn and bean fields, with a pond. The area we stayed far away from were his pastures, which was another 320 acres at the western end of the property. One of his neighbors a little further west ran beefalo.

A couple years later, a local club got a lease, but they had to respect we were there 1st and had to stay away from our stands.
Our "rent" was a ham and bottle of Wild Turkey at Christmas time.

OysterToad

It's nice to see this thread resurrected.
I cancelled plans for starting a hunting club due to health reasons. Good news health reasons have gone away and I purchased the land anyway and have been hunting with family and friends.
Like Gilligan's crew they hunt for free and drink my good Bourbon, drink my beer and grill my ribeyes. Not to mention never filling up gas in the gators or skiffs, but I love them all.

limblips

PREMO Member
I cancelled plans for starting a hunting club due to health reasons. Good news health reasons have gone away and I purchased the land anyway and have been hunting with family and friends.
Like Gilligan's crew they hunt for free and drink my good Bourbon, drink my beer and grill my ribeyes. Not to mention never filling up gas in the gators or skiffs, but I love them all.
Are you opposed to adopting an older orphan, say 68 or so?

dmoreau510

Not trying to intrude on your property (or hijack the thread) for the actual season, but would you be willing to allow dog training to occur on the property? I'm new in the area and trying to find a spot I can train my younger lab for duck hunting and keep her skills sharp. Been tough to find places to do that in St Mary's despite there being ample land around, just haven't met any landowners yet... thanks in advance!