Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater

I don't like the fact that the sharkbites allow the pipe to rotate. Someone new to them has to realize to clean the pipe and debur the pipe well or they will leak, you also can't use them over a pipe that has had a compression fitting on it in that location.

The rotating is great when you're installing an elbow or something, makes lining up the pipes a breeze. Not so great when you have a valve. When you twist the valve, the damn thing rotates on the pipe.

Clem72

Haven't seen any significant loss on the ones I've used, and my house pressure is low to start, typically 45-55 psi. But with any joint, bend, elbow, etc... there will always be some level of loss. Any interruption disrupts the laminar flow and creates turbulence in the pipe, reducing pressure.

Thanks for the info, could have used some of these when converting from copper to PVC under the sink a few months back. The only other issue I see is complaints that the flexible water heater connector degrades on the output causing bits of black plastic to come out of the tap. So I may stay away from these for that purpose.

NIU_Huskies

Got the GE Geospring installed yesterday. So far so good. The compressor sounds like one on a window air conditioning unit. But still quieter than when the furnace runs. I don't hear it upstairs at all and it doesn't really bother me. It has been keeping the utility room nice and cool. It produces a minimal amount of condensate (small drips). Have the condensate tubing running out the exterior wall of the house since I don't have a drain in the utility room. There was no need to use a condensate pump since the water heater is right next to the exterior wall and the condensate tubing only needs to travel a short distance.

The amount of sediment buildup in the 19 y/o outgoing water heater was disgusting. When we went to drain it the water came out so slowly. Eventually just busted off the bottom drain (we brought it out the driveway at this point) and then stuck a screw driver in there to clear out the gunk and it all started coming out with chunks of sediment that built up over time. The water coming out also had a rusty colored appearance. I've only owned the house for a year but it appears that the previous 18 years no one ever drained the water heater as they recommend at least once a year. After seeing that I will definitely try to drain the new one every 6 months.

Hope this thread helps anyone looking to switch to a heat pump water heater. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Got the GE Geospring installed yesterday. So far so good. The compressor sounds like one on a window air conditioning unit. But still quieter than when the furnace runs. I don't hear it upstairs at all and it doesn't really bother me. It has been keeping the utility room nice and cool. It produces a minimal amount of condensate (small drips). Have the condensate tubing running out the exterior wall of the house since I don't have a drain in the utility room. There was no need to use a condensate pump since the water heater is right next to the exterior wall and the condensate tubing only needs to travel a short distance.

The amount of sediment buildup in the 19 y/o outgoing water heater was disgusting. When we went to drain it the water came out so slowly. Eventually just busted off the bottom drain (we brought it out the driveway at this point) and then stuck a screw driver in there to clear out the gunk and it all started coming out with chunks of sediment that built up over time. The water coming out also had a rusty colored appearance. I've only owned the house for a year but it appears that the previous 18 years no one ever drained the water heater as they recommend at least once a year. After seeing that I will definitely try to drain the new one every 6 months.

Hope this thread helps anyone looking to switch to a heat pump water heater. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

:yay::yay:
Hope it all works out well for you.
Good info in this thread.
Thanks.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Thanks for the info, could have used some of these when converting from copper to PVC under the sink a few months back. The only other issue I see is complaints that the flexible water heater connector degrades on the output causing bits of black plastic to come out of the tap. So I may stay away from these for that purpose.

Never had a reason to use them with PVC, priming and gluing only takes a few seconds... but I use them for copper to copper or copper to PVC.. Never had an issue with plastic pieces from the bites, but have had those issues with PVC after doing a long run, lots of joints.. fine pieces of white PVC caught in faucet filters..

Chris0nllyn

Glad you got it worked out.

Could you post any changes to your electric bill when the time comes?

NIU_Huskies

Glad you got it worked out.

Could you post any changes to your electric bill when the time comes?

Sure thing, i think the month of July will be a better indicator for me since the new water heater didn't get installed until 10 days into June. But i'll let everyone know what the June bill looks like.

Chris0nllyn

Sure thing, i think the month of July will be a better indicator for me since the new water heater didn't get installed until 10 days into June. But i'll let everyone know what the June bill looks like.

You're right. And being able to compare to last year would help also.

I'm just trying to get some first hand experience with them before I make the plunge.

Clem72

Never had a reason to use them with PVC, priming and gluing only takes a few seconds... but I use them for copper to copper or copper to PVC.. Never had an issue with plastic pieces from the bites, but have had those issues with PVC after doing a long run, lots of joints.. fine pieces of white PVC caught in faucet filters..

After reading this thread when it first popped up I went down to look at my water heater. Looks like the thing was actually installed with SharkBite adapters already (just the adapters, not the entire hose+adapter end).

My water heater is electric, but its located right next to my gas line distributer for the house which has an unused port, so I have been considering going to gas. But now I am worried about upgrading at all as I'm not keen to learn up about bleeder systems or whatever the new code is, nor do I want to pay someone several hundred dollars to do it for me.

steppinthrax

I know this is an old thread here, but I just recently bought a Rheem Hybrid Hot water heater from HD. It was the 50 gallon model. I had it for a month in Heat Pump Mode. My first electric bill went down by about 15 to 20 dollars. It has worked very well so far.

PeoplesElbow

I know this is an old thread here, but I just recently bought a Rheem Hybrid Hot water heater from HD. It was the 50 gallon model. I had it for a month in Heat Pump Mode. My first electric bill went down by about 15 to 20 dollars. It has worked very well so far.

That is cool, I have to warn you though that my SMECO bill this last cycle was over $40 less than usual (and my lowest ever by far) guessing some sort of credit was applied.

steppinthrax

That is cool, I have to warn you though that my SMECO bill this last cycle was over $40 less than usual (and my lowest ever by far) guessing some sort of credit was applied.

I've compared my last year's energy usage to this year's (same month). I used less KwHr, but I've only seen one month's bill. I need to go over several additional months before I can say either way.

But considering we are going from Resistance Heating (traditional heating elements ) to a Heat Pump, I'm certain there is going to be a drop in price, just how much is the thing.....