I hate the stupid Yankees...

BuddyLee

Football addict
Does a CAP really matter look at the Yankees?

Ahem...

BuddyLee said:
People speak as if there is a salary cap in baseball. There's not. If there was an actual salary cap, teams wouldn't be able to pay a "fine". Do as most leagues do, abide by the salary cap or don't play ball.
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

If there was a cap there would be no problem. The current "cap":lol: is a joke. There is no true cap.

donbarzini

If there was a cap there would be no problem. The current "cap":lol: is a joke. There is no true cap.

That is true. But teams that exceed the(let's call it a....) limit have to pay a fine. So they are fined for spending their own money to improve their business. Is this the new American way?

BuddyLee

Football addict
That is true. But teams that exceed the(let's call it a....) limit have to pay a fine. So they are fined for spending their own money to improve their business. Is this the new American way?
By acquiring all the resources they're monopolizing. That was nixed in the butt long ago by the U.S government.

If they're gonna have a cap, fine. Now, they don't have to fine the team necessarily. They just don't have to allow them to play or can dock them significant draft picks.

donbarzini

By acquiring all the resources they're monopolizing. That was nixed in the butt long ago by the U.S government.

If they're gonna have a cap, fine. Now, they don't have to fine the team necessarily. They just don't have to allow them to play or can dock them significant draft picks.

Actually, the monopoly "problem" exists with the entities known as MLB, NFL, NBA etc... That is why they have been granted anti-trust exemptions by Congress. Which is how Congress gets them to behave. Each individual team is limited in the amount of players they can "hold" by roster allowances. In MLB's case it's a "40 man" roster. When comparing players on one team against all the other rosters, it would be hard to convince anyone that the Yankers or the Miami Heat have a monopoly.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Actually, the monopoly "problem" exists with the entities known as MLB, NFL, NBA etc... That is why they have been granted anti-trust exemptions by Congress. Which is how Congress gets them to behave. Each individual team is limited in the amount of players they can "hold" by roster allowances. In MLB's case it's a "40 man" roster. When comparing players on one team against all the other rosters, it would be hard to convince anyone that the Yankers or the Miami Heat have a monopoly.
There's nothing saying that the league themselves cannot step in. Parity makes the game more interesting, see the NFL.

donbarzini

There's nothing saying that the league themselves cannot step in. Parity makes the game more interesting, see the NFL.

I don't think we're gonna get a consensus on this one sir. Because I hate parity. I think it makes it more interesting when there is a juggernaut that everyone but the home town fans love to hate. I think parity should stop once you leave "T-ball" age. Otherwise why keep score? Why keep track of wins and losses? "Let's all just play and have fun, then we can go get ice cream."??? I don't think so.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I don't think we're gonna get a consensus on this one sir. Because I hate parity. I think it makes it more interesting when there is a juggernaut that everyone but the home town fans love to hate.

Well, that's no fun because you end up with the same result nearly every time.

If you have multiple and different cities entering the playoffs every year you'll garner more interest overall.

donbarzini

Well, that's no fun because you end up with the same result nearly every time.

If you have multiple and different cities entering the playoffs every year you'll garner more interest overall.

Really? Baseball has been keeping track of champions since 1903(Boston!!!). That's 107 years. The Yank-me's lead with a whopping 27.

What Super Bowl number are we on? XLVII? Pittsburgh's in the lead with how many? 6.

NBA. Been keeping track since 1947. 63 years. Celtics with 17.

NHL. Keeping track since 1914. 96 years. Canadiens have 24.

Just sayin'