I have a couple of driving rants

PeoplesElbow

First rant:

This is a routine thing on my 50 commute to and from work. Maybe the folks who do this can answer why...

Driving in the right land up rt 4. Car is approaching in the left lane going at a much faster clip than me. I pay him no mind since he will be gone quickly. Gets next to me and slows down and paces me. Will pace me to the point where I come up on a slower car I want to pass, but can't.

I leave work from Gate 3 and turn left onto GMR, never fails, today I passed someone got back over into the right lane because a car was coming up on me quick. He gets beside me and slows down to my speed. I need to get over in the left lane to turn left at GMR so I try slowing down, that ####### slows down too. #### like this is why people drive in the left hand lane.

PeoplesElbow

We enacted the move over law a few years ago here. It helps but so many still think that impeding others while doing the speed limit is still legal for them.
It's difficult for the minions to grasp to move over for someone that is speeding because they have the right away.
And I'm a right lane driver.

The law reads "highway" and for a highway I completely agree, but a highway does not have left hand turns or stop lights.

Take for example great mills road, why should the left lane on GMR be for faster traffic when it actually takes more slowing down etc to make a left hand turn than a right hand turn on a road like that because you often have to wait on the oncoming traffic to turn or have cars turning left into the opposite lane and the left lane is closer to them than the right hand lane.

People here just do not know what a real highway is. I suppose I am spoiled because to get to the other side of my home town I got on the interstate, drive 70 till the next exit and was 10 miles away in 10 minutes.

willie

Did they have Florida tags? If you don't like someone parking in your blind spot, don't go to Florida.

glhs837

Power with Control
I leave work from Gate 3 and turn left onto GMR, never fails, today I passed someone got back over into the right lane because a car was coming up on me quick. He gets beside me and slows down to my speed. I need to get over in the left lane to turn left at GMR so I try slowing down, that ####### slows down too. #### like this is why people drive in the left hand lane.

That whole stretch from Gate 2 to Gate 3 seems to induce some of the most idiotic driving in the county. North and south bound.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Which means that people shouldn't speed more than maybe 5 or 10 mph, right?

It does not say anything at all about speeding. It's all about speed differential. The guy that is going the 55 mpg limit when everyone is going 65 is increasing the odds of an accident by the same amount as some dweeb going 45 in a 55, if everyone else is going 55.

PeoplesElbow

It does not say anything at all about speeding. It's all about speed differential. The guy that is going the 55 mpg limit when everyone is going 65 is increasing the odds of an accident by the same amount as some dweeb going 45 in a 55, if everyone else is going 55.

Works both ways, if there are a bunch of cars in the right lane doing 55, then the person wanting to pass them and do 70 is making things less safe and therefore they should not do it.

By that logic the left lane camper is making things safer.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I see it differently. In my mind, the people who are breaking the law by going 65 are the hazards, not the guy doing the speed limit. Forcing someone else to break the law and run the risk of getting a ticket is bad, m'kay?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I see it differently. ?

I was simply referring to the many (VERY many) published papers based on studies and extensive research conducted by civil engineers, since the 1950s, involved in the design and evaluation of transportation systems, on the effects of vehicle speed differential on accident occurrences.......

It is a dirt simple proven fact that if you are "that guy" doing 55 on the beltway, you are a major threat....for example. Has nothing to do with "well they shouldn't be speeding"..it has only to do with simple facts.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
By that logic the left lane camper is making things safer.

LOL. That raises a separate set of known circumstances..the presence of said camper then provokes the more aggressive drivers in to a perhaps risky and ill-conceived "maneuver" to blow around the impediment to whatever prompts their impatience.