I have a couple of driving rants

black dog

Free America
Except when you're not violating the spirit of the law, the intentions of the law.

The traffic laws intend to keep traffic moving smoothly and keep people safe. If a group of people know better than the law, then the people should do the right thing.
Like there may be double yellows and the law may not say cross over them to avoid a pothole, but clearly the law doesnt' intend for people to hit potholes, and the law may not specifically enumerate the avoiding of obstacles, when you go to court for that crossing over ticket the cop didn't see, the judge should throw it out.

Or say for instance burglary, understandably illegal, but if one hears "I need help! help rape" or something similiar and one kicks a door in and rescues the person,
although not excepted written in the law, the judge understands the person did not violate the spirit of the law.

So you see the law isn't always "the law" and finite.

I got it.
When a group of folks speed or 6 cars in a row cross 4 lanes on the beltway cutting off everyone as so to avoid waiting in line to get off at their exit and break the law because they are running late everyday or they just feel they are above the sprit of the law it's ok then.. wtf.....

PsyOps

Pixelated
okay you're the problem here.. arrogantly assuming the mentally unwell would not be operating a vehicle around you! for shame! and then to flip off and enrage that poor mentally disturbed fellow. How dare you! for shame sir for shame!

Ah damn, I stepped into that one. :lol:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Except when you're not violating the spirit of the law, the intentions of the law.

The traffic laws intend to keep traffic moving smoothly and keep people safe. If a group of people know better than the law, then the people should do the right thing.
Like there may be double yellows and the law may not say cross over them to avoid a pothole, but clearly the law doesnt' intend for people to hit potholes, and the law may not specifically enumerate the avoiding of obstacles, when you go to court for that crossing over ticket the cop didn't see, the judge should throw it out.

Or say for instance burglary, understandably illegal, but if one hears "I need help! help rape" or something similiar and one kicks a door in and rescues the person,
although not excepted written in the law, the judge understands the person did not violate the spirit of the law.

So you see the law isn't always "the law" and finite.

But, if we're going to differentiate between those that do the speed limit versus those who massively exceed it, all that goes out the window when blaming the law-abiding person over the blatantly law-breaking person.

Gilligan tried to establish this "speed differential" standard, and that those obeying the speed limit are the reason there is this differential, therefore they are to blame for creating more dangerous driving conditions. If this is true, then speed limits shouldn't even be necessary; simply enforce the law based on who is going slower than the random speed differential at that particular time.

:shrug:

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
But, if we're going to differentiate between those that do the speed limit versus those who massively exceed it, all that goes out the window when blame the law-abiding person over the blatantly law-breaking person.

Gilligan tried to establish this "speed differential" standard, and that those obey the speed limit are the reason there is this differential, therefore they are to blame for creating a more dangerous driving situation. If this is true, then speed limits shouldn't even be necessary; simply enforce the law based on who is going slower than the random speed differential at that particular time.

:shrug:

I think you simplified Gilligans point to it's detriment. Slower than the flow of the majority of traffic, regardless of where that falls in relation to the speed limit is more dangerous than staying with the flow. Just as faster than the flow is dangerous. Now, 15 under the flow less dangerous than 15 over, because as noted more speed equals more energy into the crash.
But the point is that less dangerous is not not dangerous. Travelling with the flow less dangerous than either of those things.

PeoplesElbow

I highway doesn't have left hand turns or stop lights? Crain highway disagrees with you. Did you mean interstate highway or something?

That is just a name like El Camino Real, which means the kings road in spanish, last time I checked there were no kings in California (plenty of queens though).

And Crain Highway is just a road, not a highway.

PeoplesElbow

That's how I was taught to drive a car 42+ years ago.
When you drive the interstates late at night that's how most of the trucking community drives. While traveling interstate 70 between MD and Indiana in the early am the highway is very civil at 75+ mph unlike during the daylight working hours.

On I-70 the traffic is generally much more civil than the traffic in southern Maryland, but again back to my point there are no stops or left turns on I-70.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That is just a name like El Camino Real, which means the kings road in spanish, last time I checked there were no kings in California (plenty of queens though).

The El Camino as turned into a clusterphuck.

black dog

Free America

Nope you're wrong. Well except for the Queen's part.
A highway is any public road or other public way on land. It is used for major roads, but also includes other public roads and public tracks: It is not an equivalent term to controlled-access highway, or a translation for autobahn, autoroute, etc.

PeoplesElbow

Nope you're wrong. Well except for the Queen's part.
A highway is any public road or other public way on land. It is used for major roads, but also includes other public roads and public tracks: It is not an equivalent term to controlled-access highway, or a translation for autobahn, autoroute, etc.

So you are saying the term highway is as generic and meaningless as "road"?

PsyOps

Pixelated
I think you simplified Gilligans point to it's detriment. Slower than the flow of the majority of traffic, regardless of where that falls in relation to the speed limit is more dangerous than staying with the flow. Just as faster than the flow is dangerous. Now, 15 under the flow less dangerous than 15 over, because as noted more speed equals more energy into the crash.
But the point is that less dangerous is not not dangerous. Travelling with the flow less dangerous than either of those things.

Perhaps. The one thing I recognize is traffic is going to be what it is, regardless of what I try to make it, or would like it to be. I have long accepted that we are a fast and impatient people - and along with that, for a lot of people... angry. The latter is what makes for the problem more than slow drivers. So, blaming slow drivers is pretty inane if you ask me.

As much as I prefer to drive slower than I do, I recognize that if I don't folks are going to flip out and do stupid things for the sake of me being in their precious, and all-important way. So I do drive over the speed limit to a degree (about 7 over). But that's not what I prefer to do. I have to weigh conscience vs. survival. My conscience might get me killed. And that's a damn shame.

PeoplesElbow

Driving in either direction through Columbus also has left turns.

Only drove through Columbus a few times, don't remember that part. Truthfully my passage through there to Dayton was uneventful every time. It was my first time eating at a Schlotzsky's and I really enjoyed that.

The RT32 to I-79 at Washington PA section I am quite familiar with as well as I-68.

black dog

Free America
Only drove through Columbus a few times, don't remember that part. Truthfully my passage through there to Dayton was uneventful every time. It was my first time eating at a Schlotzsky's and I really enjoyed that.

The RT32 to I-79 at Washington PA section I am quite familiar with as well as I-68.

The west side of Columbus has a few intersecting highways.
My son and i tend to stop at one of the Cassano's Pizza Kings along with a box of donuts from Schulers in downtown Springfield, His mother worked at both when she was a teenager.

glhs837

Power with Control
Perhaps. The one thing I recognize is traffic is going to be what it is, regardless of what I try to make it, or would like it to be. I have long accepted that we are a fast and impatient people - and along with that, for a lot of people... angry. The latter is what makes for the problem more than slow drivers. So, blaming slow drivers is pretty inane if you ask me.

As much as I prefer to drive slower than I do, I recognize that if I don't folks are going to flip out and do stupid things for the sake of me being in their precious, and all-important way. So I do drive over the speed limit to a degree (about 7 over). But that's not what I prefer to do. I have to weigh conscience vs. survival. My conscience might get me killed. And that's a damn shame.

See your characterizations of drivers who simply want to travel faster than you tell a tale :) Angry, impatient, stupid, precious, all-important. How about just someone with a different view than you as to what speed they would like to travel? I prefer to be a bit faster, but I dont push people, I dont make unsafe lane changes, I'm not angry. The vast majority of drivers faster than you are just people, none of those adjectives you used for them.

PsyOps

Pixelated
See your characterizations of drivers who simply want to travel faster than you tell a tale :) Angry, impatient, stupid, precious, all-important. How about just someone with a different view than you as to what speed they would like to travel? I prefer to be a bit faster, but I dont push people, I dont make unsafe lane changes, I'm not angry. The vast majority of drivers faster than you are just people, none of those adjectives you used for them.

You must think I just started driving yesterday. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new that I have been flipped off more often that I even bother to count anymore, simply because I was in their way. You may not push, but plenty do. PLENTY! THEY ARE THE DANGEROUS ONES. When I can't see your headlights, you're too close. When I can actually see you mouthing "GET THE #### OUT OF THE LEFT LANE YOU ####ING ####HEAD!" you're too close. This is an almost-daily thing. It may not be me but I see it happening with others. Pushing, brake-checking, weaving back and forth trying to tell the person ahead of them to get out of the way, hands flailing in anger... Don't even try to tell me it's just a different view on driving. People are inpatient and angry these days. If that's not you, then I'm not talking about you.

black dog

Free America

hahahahahhaha, It constantly amazes me how some in there own minds can easily justify to themselves that breaking the law is ok.
So i'm gonna guess that with you driving faster you constantly are overtaking other vehicles on the road and you just hang back one car length for every 10 mph that you are driving until its safe to pass them... pardon me for laughing..

PeoplesElbow

hahahahahhaha, It constantly amazes me how some in there own minds can easily justify to themselves that breaking the law is ok.
So i'm gonna guess that with you driving faster you constantly are overtaking other vehicles on the road and you just hang back one car length for every 10 mph that you are driving until its safe to pass them... pardon me for laughing..

Don't get me started on the following distances around here. Often times it is so close that there isn't enough room for someone to merge into another lane, I believe this increases the number of people that camp in the left hand lane for a turn they have to make 3 miles away.